New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:11 am
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:59 am Animfan1 has posted the December 23, 1986 (the correct airdate for Frank Hughes game 5) episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
I removed three tags for the games leading to Frank's run that indicated may be a week earlier.
That's fine. They were mostly there for my benefit when archiving those games, getting all the games in the right order. I believe we've connected to enough previously entered games that I'm not too worried about our dates anymore. Early airdates are a fluid thing, and this thread is good enogh reference, should we turn out somehow to have mis-dated them.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

For what it's worth, Alex said "Happy new year to you" in response to the champion's winning total, which is an odd choice for a non–New Year's Eve game on a Tuesday, but makes a lot more sense on the 30th than on the 23rd.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:02 pm For what it's worth, Alex said "Happy new year to you" in response to the champion's winning total, which is an odd choice for a non–New Year's Eve game on a Tuesday, but makes a lot more sense on the 30th than on the 23rd.
You're a troublemaking smartyboy, is what you are. ;)

I had forgotten that we've matched those games up to the Final Jeopardy resource, so our dates match TPTB's; if there's an inconsistency, it's theirs. Thanks again to Mark for tidying up after me.
jlgarfield
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jlgarfield »

I've still been looking for show #611, OAD 4/13/1987. I wonder if animfan1 has it?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:14 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:02 pm For what it's worth, Alex said "Happy new year to you" in response to the champion's winning total, which is an odd choice for a non–New Year's Eve game on a Tuesday, but makes a lot more sense on the 30th than on the 23rd.
You're a troublemaking smartyboy, is what you are. ;)

I had forgotten that we've matched those games up to the Final Jeopardy resource, so our dates match TPTB's; if there's an inconsistency, it's theirs. Thanks again to Mark for tidying up after me.
I'd put more stock in your dating than I would TPTB's.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/5/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5722

This is the first July 1990 game in the Archive leaving just a handful of J! months in all 33 seasons without representation.

John Patlan played Rich Doyle and Angela Lewis:
Spoiler

Would the generous judging in the FJ! round fly in 2017?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

John got screwed.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:23 pm
I'd say no, since he changed the spelling to another, actual, wrong, name. However, the misspelling does not change the pronunciation, so he might have an argument if they had ruled against him.

Were Philips and Sousa on the same line? Not that that makes any difference.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:23 pm
I'd say no, since he changed the spelling to another, actual, wrong, name. However, the misspelling does not change the pronunciation, so he might have an argument if they had ruled against him.

Were Philips and Sousa on the same line? Not that that makes any difference.
3 lines:
Who was
John Philips
Sousa

The S that did not belong was clear as day, so it's a judging thing only and nothing about reading the writing.

The game I'm working on for tomorrow has an Audio DD with this line: "If I had a day that I could give you"

Name that John Denver song giving the correct title? Is it a 50/50/90? Are you sure? Or does it even matter? ;)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:57 pm
The game I'm working on for tomorrow has an Audio DD with this line: "If I had a day that I could give you"

Name that John Denver song giving the correct title? Is it a 50/50/90? Are you sure? Or does it even matter? ;)
Not sure what 50/50/90 means, though I've seen it before on the board (maybe I should note that on the "glossary terms" discussion thread.

I assume you're asking if "Sunshine" would be acceptable in place of "Sunshine on my Shoulders." In my opinion, I would require the full 4-word phrase. All the printed sheet music I found has the 4-word title, and the only search hits "Sunshine John Denver" return are actually for the full title. Is that the input you're looking for?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Not sure what 50/50/90 means, though I've seen it before on the board (maybe I should note that on the "glossary terms" discussion thread.

I assume you're asking if "Sunshine" would be acceptable in place of "Sunshine on my Shoulders." In my opinion, I would require the full 4-word phrase. All the printed sheet music I found has the 4-word title, and the only search hits "Sunshine John Denver" return are actually for the full title. Is that the input you're looking for?
Sorry, I did not mean to cause such confusion. The contestant names the song as "Sunshine On My Shoulder" and is ruled correct. The correct title is of course "Sunshine On My Shoulders." What I was going for was the upcoming example of another response clearly wrong being accepted as correct back in the old days.

For the 50:50 chance and 90% chance of being wrong is someone recognizing the Denver song off the lyric and then doubting themselves whether it was "Shoulders" or "Shoulder" to complete the 4-word title.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:23 pm I added 7/5/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5722

This is the first July 1990 game in the Archive leaving just a handful of J! months in all 33 seasons without representation.
A quick scan gave me these missing months.

Season 1:
May 1985
A game from 6/3/84 is tagged Airdate approximate"
I think the season ended early then, so were there games in July?

Season 2:
March 1985
June 1985
July 1985 (if there were games)

Season 8:
July 1992

Season 10:
June 1994
July 1994

I didn't check Season 18. All the games are in, but only 175 have FJs, so a number of skeletons still abound.

Thanks agin for your summer project.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:17 pm Season 1:
I think the season ended early then, so were there games in July?

Season 2:
July 1985 (if there were games)
No July games in '85 or '86. (I know you meant '86 for Season 2.) Seasons 1 and 2 ended 6/7 and 6/6, respectively.
http://www.j-archive.com/listseasons.php
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Meg Shreve played Theon Banos Cross and Marty Gerstman: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5724

The pics:
Spoiler

Meg was not close to looking at the camera when her name was there.
In 2017 people would lose their minds on social media if someone got away with the singular on the Audio DD.

Nice trap at STATES $1000 begging for someone to mix up Hills with Mountains.

Meg missing the FJ! clue gave her an easy out compared to all the places in the game she could have revisited otherwise for costing her the victory.

My apologies to Theon for archiving this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=5724, but she played FJ! and got it right, so it could have been worse.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:44 pm Meg Shreve played Theon Banos Cross and Marty Gerstman: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5724

The pics:
Spoiler

Meg was not close to looking at the camera when her name was there.
In 2017 people would lose their minds on social media if someone got away with the singular on the Audio DD.

Nice trap at STATES $1000 begging for someone to mix up Hills with Mountains.

Meg missing the FJ! clue gave her an easy out compared to all the places in the game she could have revisited otherwise for costing her the victory.

My apologies to Theon for archiving this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=5724, but she played FJ! and got it right, so it could have been worse.
Can I get a detailed breakdown on the position of the S and T in 1ST FAMILY AILMENTS. Thanks. ;)

ETA: My congratulations to anyone who got that FJ correct in 2017.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:37 pm ETA: My congratulations to anyone who got that FJ correct in 2017.
Thank you. Though I have no idea how I did know it; it was the first one to come to mind.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:37 pm ETA: My congratulations to anyone who got that FJ correct in 2017.
Believe it
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It was the only airline I could think of that sounded like it was named for a person.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:37 pm
Can I get a detailed breakdown on the position of the S and T in 1ST FAMILY AILMENTS. Thanks. ;)
Hah, I let you know that the Denver song was not played again. What do you want from me? Thanks for the laugh.

Those correction suggestions do show that people will comment about 19th vs. 19TH, so I give them the specifics, so they know what was done for that particular game. With the cases, sizing, underlining and now spacing the show has done it with many combinations as if they could not decide what was best.

I know you are just kidding and teasing about the 1ST FAMILY AILMENTS, but I can't resist posting (not bothering with the archive) that they were indeed upper case, but about half the size of the 1 and centered vertically along the number. ;)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:40 pm
It was the only airline I could think of that sounded like it was named for a person.
Exactly. Definitely a case of WECIB.