Monday, July 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Monday, July 10, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

mxc_takeshi wrote: I saw "attractive" and immediately thought of high cheekbones; I also thought of dimples but didn't change my answer.
I was thinking along the theme of 'sunken' or 'hollow' cheeks. Dimples didn't occur to me.
twelvefootboy wrote:The only common terminology I can think of now is "lantern jaw", which might also be an asset?.
Only if you're Jay Leno. lol
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

doihavetoreally wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:58 pm Lots of NHO.. that Oscar category was tough for me.
I got 4.5 in that category because I accidentally said Emily Blunt instead of Emma Stone. I also thought of Melissa Etheridge instead of Annie Lennox at first, but came to my senses in time. (One who was — ahem — of a different mind than mine might say I was getting fantasy films confused.)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,600
43 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: serpentine, HTML, Tagalog, reaction, Marquess of Queensberry, Grover Cleveland (DD), Dylan Thomas (DD)

Wow. That was...something.

One of my wife's favorite phrases is "simple as dimples." 'Twas quite appropriate tonight.

My lone neg of the night involved a Stone/Watson mix-up. I'll be able to keep them straight one of these days.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Think they would've accepted "macho" for the "Spanish-named culture of extreme masculinity"? I said machismo, so I'm safe. Just curious about an edge case.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mxc_takeshi wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:19 am I saw "attractive" and immediately thought of high cheekbones; I also thought of dimples but didn't change my answer.
The word used was "appealing," actually.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Another edge case. For the Belize motto "sub umbra floreo" meaning I flourish in this. They wanted "shade." I said "shadows." Now, if I'd said "shadow," I think they'd have to give it to me. But I mistook a feminine singular for a neuter plural. (I know, I know.) I still think they might have let me get away with it.

I also said toe shoes. I'm counting that one unless some ballet snob can tell me why I shouldn't.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:42 pm I thought that "cryptic" clue was cryptic. I guessed "obscure".

NHO "you pays your money" etc. etc.

"HTML" was easy to overthink. That "moves us"?

"Makes Sense" didn't make any sense, given all the TSes.

Was the Oscar Music category really that tough? B. J. Thomas was my only get.

Lach Trash: tagalog

No guess on FJ!
got all of the oscar music...i laughed my azz off when that dude so pompously gave the wrong answer to that clue for bj thomas
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:08 pm This was a train wreck, but not as bad as Barbara's game a few weeks ago. To be fair, there were some clues in the first round that had me standing and staring, but then I got my groove back

Rich knows a lot, but there's a lot Rich doesn't know. Discuss

MDD: Cleveland, Dylan Thomas and LT: serpentine, Gosling/Stone (really??), Sam Smith, Tagalog (though I horribly mispronounced it)

'shadow' or 'dark' acceptable for word on Belize flag "umbra"?

I wrote a recent TD on the Academy Awards, had a question on Oscar winning songs, but missed "Raindrops" tonight and "It's hard out here for a pimp" a few weeks ago, and both were in my quiz :/

Rich towered over the other two - I thought the platforms were raised to equalize contestant height?

I thought I had a rare sports get with Green Bay Packers --> Aaron Rodgers but NO!!! FML :(

Loved Rich's pocket square game! So many points in that fold!
Aaron Rodgers for the first two Superbowls?? :shock:

And yes, Rich was working that pocket square. It will be interesting to see if he stay so nattily attired.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:53 am got all of the oscar music...i laughed my azz off when that dude so pompously gave the wrong answer to that clue for bj thomas
Personally, I prefer when people respond confidently even if they're wrong rather than sounding like they're guessing.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:05 am
All I saw was GBP & QB - date/time didn't register. I should just never ring in on sports, though I do get about 5-10% right
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of Annie Lennox, this was making the rounds recently (poor, clueless Kylie):

Annie Lennox.jpg
Annie Lennox.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 4156 times

And speaking of Mt. Mansfield, I took this picture from its summit two weeks ago (that's Burlington, Lake Champlain, and the Adirondack Mountains in the background):

Mount Mansfield Summit.jpg
Mount Mansfield Summit.jpg (165.98 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:46 am
doihavetoreally wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:58 pm Lots of NHO.. that Oscar category was tough for me.
I got 4.5 in that category because I accidentally said Emily Blunt instead of Emma Stone. I also thought of Melissa Etheridge instead of Annie Lennox at first, but came to my senses in time. (One who was — ahem — of a different mind than mine might say I was getting fantasy films confused.)
Impressive.
Hope you do as well whenever you get on the show. JK.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:19 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:05 am
All I saw was GBP & QB - date/time didn't register. I should just never ring in on sports, though I do get about 5-10% right
Well then, congrats on matching the QB with his team!
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:37 am Another edge case. For the Belize motto "sub umbra floreo" meaning I flourish in this. They wanted "shade." I said "shadows." Now, if I'd said "shadow," I think they'd have to give it to me. But I mistook a feminine singular for a neuter plural. (I know, I know.) I still think they might have let me get away with it.

I also said toe shoes. I'm counting that one unless some ballet snob can tell me why I shouldn't.
It's odd to me that the majority of google hits for "toe shoes" are for shoes with toes built in. Perhaps their existence has led to the rise of "pointe shoes" as the favored expression in ballet, although I can't remember hearing it until fairly recently (not that I've spent much time talking about dance)...But I'm fairly certain they're the same thing.
As for shade/shadow, I've already expressed my puzzlement over what the motto means. Perhaps it's that in the shadow of larger neighbors they flourish? Shade and shadow have such different connotations I'm surprised there aren't two words in Latin.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:53 am got all of the oscar music...i laughed my azz off when that dude so pompously gave the wrong answer to that clue for bj thomas
Well, the song was written by Burt Bacharach. It wasn't like he emphatically answered Ernst Gombrich or Spiro Agnew or Tom of Finland or Emma Goldman or Alice the Goon.
davey wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:04 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:37 am I also said toe shoes. I'm counting that one unless some ballet snob can tell me why I shouldn't.
It's odd to me that the majority of google hits for "toe shoes" are for shoes with toes built in. Perhaps their existence has led to the rise of "pointe shoes" as the favored expression in ballet, although I can't remember hearing it until fairly recently (not that I've spent much time talking about dance)...But I'm fairly certain they're the same thing.
The terms are interchangeable. "Pointe shoes" is the older and more apt term as they are worn to dance "en pointe" which is a dance technique with a 200+ year history.
I would prefer not to.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Bartleby wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 am
Well, the song was written by Burt Bacharach.
With the lyric by Hal David.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

harrumph wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:09 pm
Bartleby wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 am
Well, the song was written by Burt Bacharach.
With the lyric by Hal David.
And then they went and wrote music and lyrics for another movie, [Lost Horizon], and that caused a cessation of their partnership.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Woof. What an awful J! round. Glad they acquitted themselves somewhat in DJ!

I agree that FJ was WECIB and too simple for even a regular-season game.

LT: cryptic, ductile, Tagalog, Marquis de Queensbury.

I haven't heard the name Richard Armour in forever. When I was in h.s. I read his wonderful book "The Classics Reclassified." Anyone else familiar with it. Humorous retellings of Julius Caesar, Moby Dick, and the rest of the required reading list. LMAO.
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:30 pm
LT: cryptic, ductile, Tagalog, Marquis de Queensbury.
I hope that's a typo...I wonder if they would accept, since he wasn't French... :)
It's actually Marquess of Queensberry...
VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 pm I'm thinking the change of score explaination in the first round kept us from seeing that top Presidential clue.
goatman wrote: Happy to see a triple get on FJ after gameplay that even AT described as "dismal" at the reading of DJ cats.
I'm amazed that they got as far as they did in the J round in spite of all the flailing and guessing. I had Susan pegged for a one-and-done champion at the start of the game and she proved me right. More than 70% of the game spent in the red, including the entire J! round, has to be some kind of futility record for a returning champion. I'm glad she got the B.J. Thomas rebound to give young whipper snapper Rich a little spanking.
I gotta give Rich some props for knowing "Starr" but I wonder if he was blanking on the QB's first name.

Got the Ductile LT and the Grover Cleveland DD.
The real reason that prevented us from seeing the clue was a bunch of misses thanks to the players not starting at the top and working on down.