Tuesday, July 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDLOCKED COUNTRY NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One in Europe & one in Africa, these 2 landlocked countries start with the same 2 letters & end with the same 4

Rich Blashka: 10200-10000=200
Scott Simpson: 21400-1401=19999
Kelly Lasiter: 11400+11400=22800 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Switzerland & Swaziland (Rich – Andorra & Angola) (Scott – Tanzania & Romania)

Daily Doubles
Kelly: 2800+2000
Rich: 9000-2000
Scott: 13400+3600

Coryats
Rich: 12200
Scott: 19000
Kelly: 10400

Combined: 41,600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

What was with the long pause for Mozart being accepted?

Last week Josh Hamilton was on the show and today Scott Simpson played. Is having a name shared by a reasonably famous sports star a path to getting the call? I know if I had one I would have used that at the audition to make up some story about getting a seat at a restaurant or trouble ordering a pizza.

This was not the game for me going one out of four on the big clues and the players more than doubling my Coryat.

Well done by Kelly to solve that FJ! clue in 30 seconds with time to spare. That kind of map brainbuster covering two continents is beyond what I can handle during think time. I tried recalling the landlocked places in Africa more central without thinking about the two I knew in the South Africa area.

For the Europe track I knew some countries that definitely touched water while the potential landlocked ones had me consistently unsure.

If the clue had been generous and only asked for the two in South America that would have been fine by me.

Sometimes when I miss the FJ! clue I look for others missing it to have company while not being sure it will happen quickly. This clue has me optimistic it won’t take long to find others in the Miss column on the board.

Scott & Trevor from last week can sympathize with each other for playing quite well up until the FJ! round.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Wait; so the Foreign Service guy missed a FJ based on geography?? Talk about someone who is going to have a rough day at the office tomorrow!

And it was pretty close to instaget on FJ - once you considered the possibilities for those last 4 letters.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:30 pm Wait; so the Foreign Service guy missed a FJ based on geography?? Talk about someone who is going to have a rough day at the office tomorrow!

And it was pretty close to instaget on FJ - once you considered the possibilities for those last 4 letters.
Pat yourself on the back, then, because frankly, this was a TOUGH Final Jeopardy clue. Big kudos to Kelly for getting this. I thought it had a really good chance of being a Triple Stumper.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Scott played well enough to win..too bad.

I thought Italian composers will be good for me.. but it wasn't. Ouch.

As pointed above, the geography naming clues are tough in 30 seconds. I got lucky because I got to the right 4 last letters. I'll take it as a redemption for my Switzerland FJ miss on the Euro coin clue recently.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I got it right around the last second. Original thought was "Ugh I am so not good at these", remembering that other recent FJ with a similar theme that I think I missed, but once Swaziland came to mind I quickly made that connection. I'll consider myself correct.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Too bad it's been over 30 years since I watched this game. :)

Shout out to Paul Rouffa

#371, aired 1986-02-10 MINI-COUNTRIES $400: A problem for this African country is that much of its mail is mistakenly sent to Switzerland
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If they had taken Scott's response in the Shaka category to begin with, he has a lock and FJ is irrelevant.

I started in Africa and my first thought was Lesotho but couldn't find a dance partner. I then looked in Europe and landed in Switzerland and it was smooth sailing from there.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Got this one before the music ended, although I had "Austria" for my initial European country.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Instant get FJ. I remember noticing the similarities between those two countries' names from looking through the atlas that I had when I was a kid.
Golf

Post by Golf »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:55 pm Pat yourself on the back, then, because frankly, this was a TOUGH Final Jeopardy clue. Big kudos to Kelly for getting this. I thought it had a really good chance of being a Triple Stumper.
Well, it's actually a very easy clue given 5 minutes. But yeah, it's not that easy in 30 seconds.

Scott's DD wager on clue 23 was tricky in that situation, middle row clue but prior 2nd row clue was a TS. It would be easy to say he didn't wager enough judging from the result of this one trial, but I tend to think that's not the case. In a strong category I think you try to win the game right then and there from that position in the middle row.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:55 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:30 pm Wait; so the Foreign Service guy missed a FJ based on geography?? Talk about someone who is going to have a rough day at the office tomorrow!

Pat yourself on the back, then, because frankly, this was a TOUGH Final Jeopardy clue. Big kudos to Kelly for getting this. I thought it had a really good chance of being a Triple Stumper.
I think it looked like a devilish FJ clue, and I'm not saying that it was easy. In fact, it would have been pretty hopeless to try to think through the nearly 100 countries involved. It's really just a matter of whether it occurred to think about those last 4 letters and whether "land" was one of the first things that popped into mind. From the comments, I think it will poll fairly decently.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

"Doggie" for "dogie"? :evil: :evil: :evil: Was really expecting a neg on that one.
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:19 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:55 pm

I think it looked like a devilish FJ clue, and I'm not saying that it was easy. In fact, it would have been pretty hopeless to try to think through the nearly 100 countries involved. It's really just a matter of whether it occurred to think about those last 4 letters and whether "land" was one of the first things that popped into mind. From the comments, I think it will poll fairly decently.
There aren't nearly 100 landlocked countries - a vast majority of the approximately 200 countries in the world have a coast. There are only approximately 50 landlocked countries (depending on your definition of country), for the purposes of this clue: 13 landlocked UN members are in Europe (excluding the Transcaucusus region) and 10 in Africa, so 23 to choose from to compare names with. For some reason I thought Europe had less, went there, started with Switzerland, and finished before Alex finished reading the clue. I think also my head being in the space of Southern Africa from the SHAKA category helped too.

I'll admit that luck was involved in my getting it, particularly in starting with Switzerland, but even if Switzerland was the last of the 23 I considered (or second last if Swaziland was last) I think I probably would have had time enough to get it, especially when thinking of countries with similar names, there aren't many (Australia/Austria, Malawi/Mali, Niger/Nigeria, Slovakia/Slovenia, Republic of Congo/Democratic Republic of Congo, Mauritania/Mauritius, Dominica/Dominican Republic, Guinea/Guinea-Bissau/Equatorial Guinea/Papua New Guinea/Guyana, and Switzerland/Swaziland. Let me know if I missed any).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

Wait so if they had accepted Scott's answer in Shaka the first time around (instead of correcting before FJ, but also after Kelly was able to pick up money for the same clue), he would have had a runaway and won.

Talk about an unfortunate turn of events...
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Scott should've bet more on his DD. He also should've had a lock, if they hadn't negged him and given Kelly the chance at the rebound. I'm annoyed.

Shaka, when the walls fell? I wonder how many people at home got that reference. I was speechless watching it live :D

Got FJ. BARELY.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT Henry VIII, Madden, Meryl Streep, Mozart, Puccini, or Zulu in the top box?

That Walmart clue was trash. "Not just a member but ____" had only about a billion corporate buzzwords that could've filled it in.

Ran Zoologist's Dictionary.

Lach Trash: dove/stove. I kept brain-farting the others (duh, what's a female offspring called again?) but recovered for linger/ginger.

No recognition whatsoever in Women in terms of women's names or movie names.

No idea what orifice I managed to pull "bel canto" out of, but that may be one of my best gets in forever.

I knew what the "saddle horn" and "spur" clues were describing, but didn't know what they were actually called.

Andorra? Luxembourg? Liechtenstein? San Marino? Nope, nope, nope, and nope. This is one that either comes to you right away, or you don't get it in five hours. Can't say I've heard of Swaziland anyway.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

mdude04 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:29 pm Wait so if they had accepted Scott's answer in Shaka the first time around (instead of correcting before FJ, but also after Kelly was able to pick up money for the same clue), he would have had a runaway and won.

Talk about an unfortunate turn of events...
I didn't watch today, so I'm trusting your numbers. However, that seems like a really good reason to appeal the result and be brought back for another game. What does the boardie jury think?
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Video Games (4), Degree (3), Shakespeare (1), Business (3), Zoologist (2), No Rhyme (3)
Composer (2), Movie (1), Cowboy (1), "OZ" (3), Shaka (3), Walls (4)

Lach Trash: Uncharted, dove/stove, associate, Verdi

When I saw the category name, I thought of Lesotho, Luxembourg, and Liechtenstein, but I still didn't come up with the 2 countries in the 30 seconds.