Tuesday, July 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

Maybe I'm getting better at seeking FJ answers strategically when faced with (find the common elements between these two lists of items). Or at least I got better for one game.

My first thought was "last 4 letters the same?" "enia?" "ania?" No, how about "land?" Yeah, that's it.

Then name a landlocked European nation that ends in "land." OK, how about Switzerland?

Any African countries begin with Sw and end in land? DING-DING-DING-DING! Score a point for me.

The ""Shaka" category struck me as similar to the one the other day about Welsh writers (someone precalled the five answers would be "Dylan Thomas and four other guys." I thought this one would be "Zulu" and four other things.

Some categories just seem too narrow to come up with five reasonable clues.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:09 am I just realized there was also a question about Mozambique yesterday, so there were a lot of clues dealing with southern Africa.

I always remember the exact locations of Swaziland and Lesotho because they are the two countries surrounded by South Africa. Lesotho is a true enclave-- it is completely surrounded by SA. Swaziland is almost completely surrounded by South Africa, but does have a border with Mozambique. If you know these facts Lesotho and Swaziland are pretty easy to identify on a map.
Back in the day, you could have won a lot of money from Regis for knowing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKDAFP75TwI
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:37 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:09 am I just realized there was also a question about Mozambique yesterday, so there were a lot of clues dealing with southern Africa.

I always remember the exact locations of Swaziland and Lesotho because they are the two countries surrounded by South Africa. Lesotho is a true enclave-- it is completely surrounded by SA. Swaziland is almost completely surrounded by South Africa, but does have a border with Mozambique. If you know these facts Lesotho and Swaziland are pretty easy to identify on a map.

Man oh man, that would've been so easy I would have started laughing. And Regis doesn't know how to pronounce Lesotho.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have paid my dues for missing the FJ! clue by memorizing this Sporcle quiz: https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/landlocked

It won't be until the next locklocked country FJ! clue that I find out if it does any good.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:54 pm Final Jeopardy was an instaget. As long as the rules are clear and applied consistently there is nothing unfair. It would be unfair to inconsistently apply the rules to alleviate some perceived wrong.

I got 31R. I said "bella canto" instead of "bel canto." I'll do better on that one next time. I missed Masada completely even though I had read about that before. I missed Jericho too, that was an easy one.

There were a lot of tough clues on today's show and the contestants ran through everything. They all knew a lot of stuff and played really well. The Woman in the Movie category was pretty bad for me. I need to work on that. I think I'll be ok if they have the category: Movies with Robots and Explosions.
Please someone create a Movies with Robots and Explosions category for the SHC!
davey

Post by davey »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am
dhkendall wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:09 am
davey wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:54 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:45 pm I nearly instagot the FJ. I started mentally running through a map of Europe and the first landlocked country I thought of going left to right was Switzerland.

I second the questioning of what took so long to accept the answer of "Mozart".
Some bozo put Berlioz on Alex's card... ;)
Some bozo *answered* Berlioz!

(Me. The bozo is me. I answered "Berlioz" is what I'm saying.)
You have company in that bozo department . . . :oops:
I did too, actually...the only reason it came to me here. A case of pulling the trigger too fast just from the category, without even paying attention to the music... :oops:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:45 am

Man oh man, that would've been so easy I would have started laughing. And Regis doesn't know how to pronounce Lesotho.
Yeah, I wish I'd gotten that one when I was on instead of the question that caused me to leave with a piddly $1,000.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:07 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:45 am

Yeah, I wish I'd gotten that one when I was on instead of the question that caused me to leave with a piddly $1,000.
Would you like a line on your J! Archive player page for the previous game show appearance? Do you remember the airdate?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:45 pm Would you like a line on your J! Archive player page for the previous game show appearance? Do you remember the airdate?
Does ANYONE on here NOT remember their airdates?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:05 am I went at it like a crossword puzzle. Two letters = too many options for the front; four letters on the back - "land" or "stan". Didn't think there would be many "stans" in Africa, and nothing else came to mind as a generic 4-letter syllable.
Not sure if you (or others) are aware of this, but -stan actually means -land! (But in Persian). So a literal translation of the country the Taliban ran for a while would be "Afghanland".

Just thought you might like the related trivia.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:58 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:45 pm Would you like a line on your J! Archive player page for the previous game show appearance? Do you remember the airdate?
I was just trying to determine when it was. I'm assuming I have a tape of it somewhere! It was during the primetime run with Regis as the host. I know it was before 9/11.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:57 pm
I was just trying to determine when it was. I'm assuming I have a tape of it somewhere! It was during the primetime run with Regis as the host. I know it was before 9/11.
It was August 21, 2001: https://groups.google.com/forum/message ... l1UUiahuIJ
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:05 am
BKavett wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:13 am I am absolutely terrible at geography (probably my worst category other than sports) yet I got the FJ almost instantly. My mind just immediately went "last 4 letters" -> "land" -> European country w/ "land"= Switzerland-> I think Swaziland is a place I've heard of? Wasn't even sure if they were landlocked or not.
Count me in with the newbie at stinking at maps. But Switzerland is the Pavlov for landlocked (and mountain locked) countries from 4th grade.
What the hell fourth grade did YOU go to?

I actually did know that there are a few landlocked countries in Africa, but for some reason I can only ever remember Rwanda. Swaziland rings no bells at all for me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:58 pm
The page is updated: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8435

Nice data dig as always for uncovering the game summary.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:28 pm
cheezguyty wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:58 pm
The page is updated: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8435

Nice data dig as always for uncovering the game summary.
Wow! Yes, thanks. Looking back at the questions I really only remember the last couple plus the "fastest finger" that got me into the chair in the first place.

In those days the show flew you to and put you up in New York, so despite not winning a lot of money it was all worthwhile. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That was a tough draw. I knew France, but probably would have ATA on the Oscar question, though 2001 me might have gotten it.

But the audience wouldn't have helped on Marconi and I'd have been down to a coin flip after 50/50. I guessed right here, but who knows at the moment. Even if right, I am on my own afterwards.

Still, a free trip to NYC makes it much better than a $1,000 prize on Jeopardy.

Glad you had fun and did well.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:22 pm That was a tough draw. I knew France, but probably would have ATA on the Oscar question, though 2001 me might have gotten it.

But the audience wouldn't have helped on Marconi and I'd have been down to a coin flip after 50/50. I guessed right here, but who knows at the moment. Even if right, I am on my own afterwards.
My recollection is that I was pretty sure about the French Revolution, but didn't want to risk going down in flames so played that one safe. Seemed like a good one for ATA. You don't want to give them anything too difficult.

Many people afterwards told me "it was 'S' for SOS, duh!" Well, not exactly. SOS wasn't even around in 1901, however the reason S was used is because it is so easy to discern in Morse Code (dot-dot-dot) and that's the same reason SOS later became the standard distress signal. It's one of those things that makes perfect sense in retrospect, but at the time it seemed like a complete crap-shoot. It's certainly not the kind of fact many people are going to know outright.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:31 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:22 pm That was a tough draw. I knew France, but probably would have ATA on the Oscar question, though 2001 me might have gotten it.

My recollection is that I was pretty sure about the French Revolution, but didn't want to risk going down in flames so played that one safe. Seemed like a good one for ATA. You don't want to give them anything too difficult.

Many people afterwards told me "it was 'S' for SOS, duh!" Well, not exactly. SOS wasn't even around in 1901, however the reason S was used is because it is so easy to discern in Morse Code (dot-dot-dot) and that's the same reason SOS later became the standard distress signal. It's one of those things that makes perfect sense in retrospect, but at the time it seemed like a complete crap-shoot. It's certainly not the kind of fact many people are going to know outright.
In retrospect, of the four given, 'S' is the simplest/shortest to transmit, too. But you might want to send 'X' to have a mix of signals and be certain it wasn't line noise. (dit dit dit vs dah dit dit dah). Either one would make sense.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:54 am
heppm01 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:20 am I have a dim recollection of a game some time in the last four to six weeks with a miss->rebound miss->correction situation. Player A ruled incorrect and player B missed the rebound. Player A was later credited with a correct response and his/her score adjusted, but they also adjusted the score for player B, returning the money they had lost on the miss. I recall AT saying something like "since player B would not have had a chance to respond if we ruled player A initially correct, we are returning the money".

Am I misremembering this?
Isn't this inconsistent with how they rule in cases where player B gives a correct response?
That is exactly what they do. If Rich had rung in after Scott with a wrong question, they'd have given him back his $1,200 but Kelly still keeps hers.
You're thinking of the June 6th game, and specifically of the 21st clue in the J! round. Prior to the start of DJ!, Alex said: “Welcome back. I’m happy to report that Tracy Bacon knows more about brewing beer than our judges. Turns out we should have accepted her response of wort, as well as malt, a little while ago. So we’re giving her $1,200. And because Mike’s response would not have even happened if we had accepted Tracy’s, he gets $600 back, so he has $4,800. Tracy, you still go first…”

I recalled the same thing; I searched for the exact wording to refute OntarioQuizzer's thought that the rule being too complex to explain was one reason why it's that way, while agreeing with him on the correct application.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:09 am I guessed "pincer" on the controversial Shaka clue. Since the "flanking maneuver" Wikipedia page has "pincer movement" under the "See Also" heading, and the article for "pincer movement" says it's also known as "double envelopment," I think I'm good.
As is often the case, a quote from Archer popped into my head, this time from Generalissimo Cyril Figgis: "A classic pincer movement. Just like Hannibal at the Battle of Cannae."
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.