Wednesday, July 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LEADERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A landmark 1957 New York Times story called him “a powerful six-footer, olive-skinned…with a straggly beard”

Kelly Lasiter: 8600+5800=14400
Gavin Borchert: 14600+5000=19600 (New champ)
Sara-Jane Whitaker: 7200+7200=14400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Fidel Castro (Kelly – Josef Stalin Fidel Castro)

Daily Doubles
Kelly: 1800+1800
Sara-Jane: 8200-1500
Sara-Jane: 8700-1500

Coryats
Kelly: 7600
Gavin: 14600
Sara-Jane: 10200

Combined: 32,400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ouch on Kelly's NHS mistake even though she would have trailed for the FJ! round.

This game should come with a warning for viewers in Pittsburgh & Miami after no one knew the QB. I had already sprung the trapdoor when Gavin had Hack Wilson's famous 191 as HRs.

Kelly mentioned being in the 1991 Spelling Bee and I could not tell if she was in the picture/article or not since it was too small to read: https://www.google.com/search?q=1991+sp ... Rzma622MVM:

The FJ! clue led to a clear image of one guy and I did my part to keep it at 100%.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991 ... ria-mathew

Here is another article that mentions her by name. My mother went to high school in Granite City, so I was glad she won one game at least.

No, I don't think Gavin would have been on the Dan Patrick version if it still existed.

You need to think about where a DD might be late in the game. Is it more likely to be in a heavy metal music category or a history one?

FJ was WECIB but for some reason I thought Castro was short. I was hoping for a miss by Gavin, but we'll have to wait at least one more day for a regular season tie-breaker answer.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I could have, and should have, gotten this FJ as well. But I for some reason led myself to believe that the clue was referring to a US leader, so I went with James Garfield. :lol: And that was only because I heard before that Lincoln was the tallest US president, and I didn't think 6 ft was enough to reach that (no pun intended) record.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was curious about what kind of writing Gavin does, so his name was easy with Google-fu: http://www.octavachamberorchestra.com/gavin.shtml

http://www.seattleweekly.com/author/gavin-borchert/
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Ok.. I'll never be on sports Jeopardy, but even I knew 191 can't be HR. I was deciding between hits or RBIs. I guess 191 hits isn't a big deal.

I was thinking Walden +4 for Thoreau, especially in J round. Didn't get good feeling about the game after the civil disobedience debacle.

Did surprisingly well in metal music..it probably is an easy sweep for board members?

I got to right FJ too. Beard and 50s..WECIB? Was wondering if only last name would have sufficed?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I negged myself, but I'm wondering if the Trinity Test (although I think I just said "Trinity") would count for KABOOM $800? ("On July 16, 1945 this secret project got big results near Alamgordo, New Mexico". "What is the Manhattan Project?" was given.)

Did not know Castro was tall (well, "tall" by society's standards, I'm taller than that, so ... ), was stuck thinking of the Middle East, but was mainly thinking of more contemporary leaders (grasping at the "mentioned in the NYT decades before the world knew of them for something inconsequential at the time" straw.)

I'm thinking with 2nd and third tied after FJ the bat signal for the Wagering Police has been activated.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 pm I got to right FJ too. Beard and 50s..WECIB? Was wondering if only last name would have sufficed?
I would think they would take just Castro, but better safe than sorry.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Clearly with my response I didn't even consider that the person was still alive in 1957. Maybe "landmark" threw me off. For whatever reason. At least I got the last two FJs correct so that makes up for this.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Instaget FJ like it was for so many others. After I precalled only current World Leaders like Merkel and May, the writers threw me a curveball by harkening back to 1957; but as others have commented, it turned out to be a WECIB.

I thought "big bang theory" was overvalued at $1,200 as was "Great Society" at $2,000.

I'm not into heavy metal but I ran the category; the TOM's like "high voltage" and "torture device" really made the clues more gettable.

I thought "implosion" was a tough DD.

Another clue about a not-at-all obscure world capital (in this case, Hanoi) ends up a TS.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Where (1), Doctors (3), Thoreau (4), Podcast (1), "CC" (2), Stat! (5)
Pittsburgh (5), Geog. (2), Metal (5), Hodgepodge (2), Kaboom! (2), Biblical (1)

Lach Trash: Hanoi, Civil Disobedience, Three Wise Men at Work, Dan Marino; Daily Double: steel

Fidel Castro was the only leader I considered, but I didn't instantly go with it because the pre-1959 date threw me off a little bit.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

hbomb1947 wrote: I thought "big bang theory" was overvalued at $1,200 as was "Great Society" at $2,000.

I thought "implosion" was a tough DD.
Agree with the former, disagree with the later. I'd call it another WECIB and very gettable if Sara Jane just took the extra time to think it out. That she responded with a word straight out of the clue shows that she hurried her answer. Her other DD was also a softball. The combination of conservative wagers plus fanning on each clue snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

dhkendall wrote: I'm thinking with 2nd and third tied after FJ the bat signal for the Wagering Police has been activated.
Nah, she had to know how bad we all want to see a tie-breaker. The torment continues for xxaaaxx.

The most LT I've had in quite some time:
Civil Disobedience, Bob Schieffer, Game Reserve, National Historic Sight (although I suspect there was an edit and the other two were disallowed to respond), Three wise Men at Work, Hanoi, Dan Marino
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Lach Trash: Hanoi, Revisionist, implosion, steel

I was thrown by Dr. Evil, I did not know that Mike played both the hero and the villain in Austin Powers.

No dice on FJ though it seemed so obvious in hindsight
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 pm Her other DD was also a softball.
Maybe for someone on your side of the 49th. I got it, but I can see why a Canadian might struggle more on it.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Yes, I'm third from the left in that old picture. :D

My wager was pure brainfart; my brain was mush by that point and I just choked.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:35 pm
Category 13 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 pm Her other DD was also a softball.
Maybe for someone on your side of the 49th. I got it, but I can see why a Canadian might struggle more on it.
For a normal Canadian, maybe. Not for someone who is on J. There are many routes to steel for Pittsburgh.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
davey

Post by davey »

WECIB?? How about Yasir Arafat? "Straggly beard" and olive skin sent me there and I didn't swerve away. The year comes before his prominence but it's before Castro's too...In retrospect the response seems a little tone deaf and Castro seems obvious, but I was convinced... :oops: