Wednesday, July 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by immaf »

My brain went immediately to Osama Bin Laden, and no matter how much I insisted that 1957 was far too early for that to be correct, it refused to serve up another answer. Stupid brain.
Teems with quiet fun.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:35 pm
Category 13 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 pm Her other DD was also a softball.
Maybe for someone on your side of the 49th. I got it, but I can see why a Canadian might struggle more on it.
For a normal Canadian, maybe. Not for someone who is on J. There are many routes to steel for Pittsburgh.
There's been plenty of coal mining in Pittsburgh's past as well. It wasn't so terrible a guess.
http://wesa.fm/post/pittsburghs-long-hi ... t#stream/0
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

immaf wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 pm My brain went immediately to Osama Bin Laden, and no matter how much I insisted that 1957 was far too early for that to be correct, it refused to serve up another answer. Stupid brain.
In '57 he'd have been a lot closer to 6" tall (and no beard -- probably ...) . :)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

One clue where too much knowledge hurt me was the bocce one.
It specified the sport was in the Special Olympics.
I read it too quickly as the Paralympics. And I knew that bocce is not in the Paralympics, but a similar game called boccia is. (One of two sports, along with goalball, that only exists in the Paralympic program with no counterpart in the Olympics.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I missed Castro. Seems like an easy clue in hindsight but I was stuck thinking about Haile Selassie and Dag Hammarskjold and the correct answer never crossed my mind. I've since learned that Hammarskjold didn't have a beard but at least he was UN Secretary-General in 1957.

The 191 home runs was just a whiff. If he had more than a few seconds to think about it I'm sure he wouldn't have given that answer. I missed Hanoi too. For some reason I thought Ho Cho Minh city was the capital. And then I thought about Saigon. Oops. I'll remember it next time at least.

They made the Heavy Metal category a little too easy. I still missed Van Halen for no good reason.

Do you think they would have accepted the answer "Mr. Evil" for the Austin Powers clue?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:12 pm One clue where too much knowledge hurt me was the bocce one.
It specified the sport was in the Special Olympics.
I read it too quickly as the Paralympics. And I knew that bocce is not in the Paralympics, but a similar game called boccia is. (One of two sports, along with goalball, that only exists in the Paralympic program with no counterpart in the Olympics.)
Similarly pronounced too, no? I think you'd get away with that one.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 pm The 191 home runs was just a whiff. If he had more than a few seconds to think about it I'm sure he wouldn't have given that answer....
I notice that Hack Wilson led in home runs that year as well. Only 56, but...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

KellyLasiter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 pm Yes, I'm third from the left in that old picture. :D

My wager was pure brainfart; my brain was mush by that point and I just choked.
WELCOME, from another Kelly named before the name was usurped as a predominant female name! It must be a whirlwind from start to finish, and you really just get to release and decompress now. The wager police have been summoned, but don't worry, this board is beautifully moderated and hate free (no microaggressions here!).

On FJ, my first instinct based on NYT and the era was Nikita Kruschev, but duh, short guy with no beard (I didn't remember all the footage of seen of him pounding his shoe). It easily rolled over to Fidel because of the timing. I knew Fidel was good size because he almost became a professional baseball player. He's listed at 6'3" on the Wiki so the article shorted him. And, yes, even 6 feet was tall for all the generations up to the Baby Boomers, and above average even for the Boomers. I've always quipped that I've never met a 5'-11" man, they all height up to 6'0". I try to put people at ease by reporting 5'-14" if the subject comes up.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:35 pm
Category 13 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 pm Her other DD was also a softball.
Maybe for someone on your side of the 49th. I got it, but I can see why a Canadian might struggle more on it.
For a normal Canadian, maybe. Not for someone who is on J. There are many routes to steel for Pittsburgh.
Indeed. Knowing the US is as important for a Canadian contestant as knowing Canada is for an American one. They don't give the Canadians a handicap.

FTR I got Pittsburgh=steel instantly. (It's the Hamilton of the US)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

Hi all -
This was a pretty fun game, although I didn't get to watch as closely as I would have liked. All three were cool and congrats to Gavin. And thanks to the boardie who posted the neat links about Gavin. Sorry I didn't note exactly who, my bad.

But I'm really wanting a bit of help. Will the archive be up soon or can anyone give the exact wording of that LBJ Great Society quote? I have tried and tried to find it online and have not been successful. And would anyone just happen to know the source - speech or something? Thanks in advance. It's a great quote and I REALLY want to tweet it.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL just LOL at 191 home runs

LOL just LOL at Dan Rather hosting Face.

I predict Gavin will be a one-time champ. He doesn't Inspire any confidence with the way he makes every second response sound like a WAG. Which they probably are.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

jwatcher16 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:19 am Hi all -
This was a pretty fun game, although I didn't get to watch as closely as I would have liked. All three were cool and congrats to Gavin. And thanks to the boardie who posted the neat links about Gavin. Sorry I didn't note exactly who, my bad.

But I'm really wanting a bit of help. Will the archive be up soon or can anyone give the exact wording of that LBJ Great Society quote? I have tried and tried to find it online and have not been successful. And would anyone just happen to know the source - speech or something? Thanks in advance. It's a great quote and I REALLY want to tweet it.
The Great Society is when America's promise and her practice come together.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=26674
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

KellyLasiter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 pm Yes, I'm third from the left in that old picture. :D

Congrats on your win, which came on an FJ that the boardies here considered difficult.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

harrumph wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:34 am

Congrats on your win, which came on an FJ that the boardies here considered difficult.
Aw, thanks. :) I really admire the people who can win day after day--it takes a mental stamina I wouldn't have really thought of before I went. You've been up since oh-God-o'clock, you're crashing from adrenaline/caffeine, and then they want you to do math! :D
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Congrats. I always thought getting to Nationals in spelling bee is quite awesome.
Which accomplishment you cherish more - Jeopardy or Bee?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

They flew Sarah all the way to Bora Bora to film one clue??

I don't summer on the Cape but never realized it's a peninsula :?

I knew Walden was wrong, but I wasn't getting to Civil Disobedience in 5 seconds. I considered Self Reliance, but it didn't fit and it's the wrong transient dentist anyway

I had 'The Wise Men at Work' then quickly added 'three', but wonder how the judges would've ruled on that. I don't like BEFORE AND AFTER, Biblical or otherwise

I heard that NPR clip with Kim K. and it was pretty funny

What were the 3 responses for South African capital? Capetown, what and Pretoria? Is there any easy way to remember which is which? Besides Bolivia, what other countries have multiple capital cities?

HEAVY METAL was a nightmare. Just not quick enough, though I managed to pull out Van Halen to save myself from total humiliation. Somehow I can't connect Ozzie Osbourne with Black Sabbath

I was pleased to get Tracee Ellis Ross - Thanks EW!
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:57 am

Congrats. I always thought getting to Nationals in spelling bee is quite awesome.
Which accomplishment you cherish more - Jeopardy or Bee?
I cherish Jeopardy more right now, just because Bee was so long ago, literally 2/3 of my life ago! :D But it was such a great experience at the time. I was kind of the local nerdy kid, and while I majorly lost at nationals, it was worth it just to meet all the other nerds and realize I wasn't alone in the world! And seeing DC is worth it too, though it was super hot that week.

As for Civil Disobedience, my old English teachers would be rolling in their graves that I missed that, except they're all still alive AFAIK.

Yeah, we went through Johannesburg, Cape Town, and then Sara Jane got it right with Pretoria.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:17 am
This game should come with a warning for viewers in Pittsburgh & Miami after no one knew the QB. I had already sprung the trapdoor when Gavin had Hack Wilson's famous 191 as HRs.
Really. That answer was almost as jaw-dropping bad as it would have been jaw-dropping astonishing is Wilson actually had hit 191 HRs.
Seriously, I know lots of people don't know much about sports statistics but that's like thinking the WR high jump is 20 feet instead of the WR pole vault.

And yes, the date noted in FJ along with the beard reference made this a pretty easy Instaget.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Welcome, Kelly, and congrats on the win!
dhkendall wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:21 am FTR I got Pittsburgh=steel instantly. (It's the Hamilton of the US)
[US Snobbism]Ahem. Hamilton is the Pittsburgh of Canada. {/US Snobbism]

davey wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:43 pm WECIB?? How about Yasir Arafat? "Straggly beard" and olive skin sent me there and I didn't swerve away. The year comes before his prominence but it's before Castro's too...In retrospect the response seems a little tone deaf and Castro seems obvious, but I was convinced... :oops:
I got stuck on Arafat for about 20 seconds, trying to dismiss him. But 'olive' pointed me toward the Middle East before I concentrated on scraggly beard and Castro came to me.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 pm Do you think they would have accepted the answer "Mr. Evil" for the Austin Powers clue?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.