Wednesday, July 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:17 am
This game should come with a warning for viewers in Pittsburgh & Miami after no one knew the QB. I had already sprung the trapdoor when Gavin had Hack Wilson's famous 191 as HRs.
Really. That answer was almost as jaw-dropping bad as it would have been jaw-dropping astonishing is Wilson actually had hit 191 HRs.
Seriously, I know lots of people don't know much about sports statistics but that's like thinking the WR high jump is 20 feet instead of the WR pole vault.

And yes, the date noted in FJ along with the beard reference made this a pretty easy Instaget.
Just for the non-sporties out there, the Hack Wilson record is incredible, and almost 100 years old. Nobody has come within 30 RBI in 60 years or so, in spite of playing a few more games.

Oh, snap - 20 feet for the pole vault! This record will potentially last as long as Wilson's. I guess I'll be happy for half that. :cry:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:05 am
KellyLasiter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 pm Yes, I'm third from the left in that old picture. :D
Welcome, Kelly, and congrats on the win!
dhkendall wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:21 am FTR I got Pittsburgh=steel instantly. (It's the Hamilton of the US)
[US Snobbism]Ahem. Hamilton is the Pittsburgh of Canada. {/US Snobbism]

davey wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:43 pm WECIB?? How about Yasir Arafat? "Straggly beard" and olive skin sent me there and I didn't swerve away. The year comes before his prominence but it's before Castro's too...In retrospect the response seems a little tone deaf and Castro seems obvious, but I was convinced... :oops:
I got stuck on Arafat for about 20 seconds, trying to dismiss him. But 'olive' pointed me toward the Middle East before I concentrated on scraggly beard and Castro came to me.

I guess the Arafat 50s look was more "unshaven" than straggly ("spread out or scattered irregularly"). But I wouldn't say Castro's look is careless, either.
I wonder what made the New York Times go with straggly over scraggly? It's a subtle difference... ;)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:49 pm I could have, and should have, gotten this FJ as well. But I for some reason led myself to believe that the clue was referring to a US leader, so I went with James Garfield. :lol: And that was only because I heard before that Lincoln was the tallest US president, and I didn't think 6 ft was enough to reach that (no pun intended) record.
If the category is World Leaders, it is a safe bet it isn't an American.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yasser Arafat is certainly not a bad guess, but he was quite short (5' 2").

Is anyone else like me and notoriously forgets the FJ category? I'll bet you 90% of the time I can't recall what the FJ category was during the commercial break. For some reason I just don't pay attention. Last night this happened and the clue came up before I had read the category. Once the camera moved back so that I could see the category--albeit obliquely--I thought of Arafat immediately.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I'm glad Arafat didn't even pop into my head, because I'd have second-guessed myself to the moon and back. Third-guessed, I suppose. I knew Stalin was wrong because I was pretty sure he didn't have a beard and that the year didn't work, but didn't want to leave it blank, and then bam! it hit me about halfway through the music.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Part of what led to Castro was the year they gave - 1957 - as he was "trending" at about that time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:44 am I'm glad Arafat didn't even pop into my head, because I'd have second-guessed myself to the moon and back. Third-guessed, I suppose. I knew Stalin was wrong because I was pretty sure he didn't have a beard and that the year didn't work, but didn't want to leave it blank, and then bam! it hit me about halfway through the music.
Along with previous welcomes & congrats I want to add well done on playing J! with a perfect record on both Daily Doubles & Final Jeopardy! clues.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:04 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:44 am I'm glad Arafat didn't even pop into my head, because I'd have second-guessed myself to the moon and back. Third-guessed, I suppose. I knew Stalin was wrong because I was pretty sure he didn't have a beard and that the year didn't work, but didn't want to leave it blank, and then bam! it hit me about halfway through the music.
Along with previous welcomes & congrats I want to add well done on playing J! with a perfect record on both Daily Doubles & Final Jeopardy! clues.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for sharing your experience. Congratulations on winning a game.
davey

Post by davey »

harrumph wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:01 pm Part of what led to Castro was the year they gave - 1957 - as he was "trending" at about that time.
Actually Castro was at a low point. He had led an unsuccessful uprising in '56, and he was in hiding. The Batista government had said he was dead. The reason the clue calls the article "landmark" is that it was arranged to introduce Castro as a personality to the world. But yes, 1957 was close enough to the year of the overthrow that it was a good signpost, and I missed it.
The earliest interview I can find with Arafat in the Times is 1968. It doesn't mention his beard, and it's hard to characterize his facial hair from the blurry photo with the article...
earendel

Post by earendel »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:30 am I had 'The Wise Men at Work' then quickly added 'three', but wonder how the judges would've ruled on that. I don't like BEFORE AND AFTER, Biblical or otherwise
The gospel of Matthew doesn't specify the number of magi (wise men) that came to visit. The assumption was that there were three because there were three gifts offered (gold, frankincense & myrrh), and later tradition named them (Melchior, Gaspar & Balthazar), but just "wise men at work" should have been acceptable.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

KellyLasiter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 pm Yes, I'm third from the left in that old picture. :D

My wager was pure brainfart; my brain was mush by that point and I just choked.
Congratulations on your run! As a fellow Bee alum, I was thrilled to hear you use that for your contestant story. The 1991 Bee was a classic.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

econgator wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:54 pm
immaf wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 pm My brain went immediately to Osama Bin Laden, and no matter how much I insisted that 1957 was far too early for that to be correct, it refused to serve up another answer. Stupid brain.
In '57 he'd have been a lot closer to 6" tall (and no beard -- probably ...) . :)
The New York Times article appeared in February. Osama Bin Laden was still in utero.
twelvefootboy wrote: I knew Fidel was a good size because he almost became a professional baseball player.
That story is a myth. Fidel was never that good a baseball player.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 pm I got to right FJ too. Beard and 50s..WECIB? Was wondering if only last name would have sufficed?
I would have probably gone with the whole "Fidel" unless I flat didn't know it, since there are more than one famous Castro. At the contestant briefing, they're very clear in saying something like, "There is no 'Be More Specific' instruction in Final Jeopardy, so be as specific as you think you need to be."

I'd prefer to err on the side of caution, just in case. I think the only time I'd go with last name only would be if I didn't know the first name or didn't have time to write it down.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:29 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 pm I got to right FJ too. Beard and 50s..WECIB? Was wondering if only last name would have sufficed?
I would have probably gone with the whole "Fidel" unless I flat didn't know it, since there are more than one famous Castro. At the contestant briefing, they're very clear in saying something like, "There is no 'Be More Specific' instruction in Final Jeopardy, so be as specific as you think you need to be."

I'd prefer to err on the side of caution, just in case. I think the only time I'd go with last name only would be if I didn't know the first name or didn't have time to write it down.
Since there is Raúl also, I guess it is better to go with Fidel. Otherwise, only last name usually suffices.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:06 pm
I'll add my congrats to the group! And second your motion about it being a relief to finally be able to talk about it. That time between taping and airing can be a bit of a strain. Did you have someone at the taping with you who also had to maintain confidentiality?
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:35 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:06 pm
I'll add my congrats to the group! And second your motion about it being a relief to finally be able to talk about it. That time between taping and airing can be a bit of a strain. Did you have someone at the taping with you who also had to maintain confidentiality?
No, I went to LA alone. I had a friend who guessed it from something in my body language when she asked me about it, a few weeks after I got back, and I had to scramble a bit for some plausible B.S. and a poker face!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:38 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:35 pm That time between taping and airing can be a bit of a strain. Did you have someone at the taping with you who also had to maintain confidentiality?
No, I went to LA alone. I had a friend who guessed it from something in my body language when she asked me about it, a few weeks after I got back, and I had to scramble a bit for some plausible B.S. and a poker face!
I had my wife and two of our three kids with me (the third wasn't able to get time off work on short notice). Our standard line was "Can't talk about it, but finished in the top three and got no worse than a bronze medal." That usually elicited a mild chuckle and stopped the questioning. At the watch party, about half the group said, "I knew you won" and the other half said, "I thought you lost!". So I guess the "poker face" worked OK. Hope you had a great time watching the show -- I was surprised at some of what I saw when mine aired; taping day was such a blur I forgot a surprising amount.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:06 am
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 pm Do you think they would have accepted the answer "Mr. Evil" for the Austin Powers clue?
I nearly was dying of laughter when I saw that picture. But yeah, Dr. Evil's the name of a villain in the Austin Powers movies. There's no way the judges would accept Mr. Evil when you're looking at a character from the movie. Hmm...try asking Dr. Evil's son to see if that's acceptable.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:06 am
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:14 pm Do you think they would have accepted the answer "Mr. Evil" for the Austin Powers clue?
In one of the many odd connections in my life, a friend of mine wrote Dr. Evil's theme song.