Thursday, July 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ACADEMY AWARDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He holds the record for time between acting nominations for the same role, 39 years between 1976 & 2015 films

Gavin Borchert: 19800-10000=9800 (2x = $29,400)
Terry Hanlon: 199+197=396
Jill Staunton: 13000-13000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sylvester Stallone (Gavin – Eastwood) (Jill – Nicho [going for Nicholson])

Daily Doubles
Terry: 5200+2000
Gavin: 10400+3000
Terry: 10000-9801

Coryats
Gavin: 17600
Terry: 8600
Jill: 13000

Combined: 39,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was nice to see WE’RE TALKING BASEBALL completed in the first segment and all three players scoring in it.

“If you’re going to Culver City, be sure to wear a flower in your hair” from a few weeks ago has a new verse. “If you’re going to Culver City, be sure to wear a flower on your specs. How was that not a peripheral vision distraction for Jill?

Terry’s DD miss saved a show a lot of money with the difference between a champ payout of $39,601 and just the $9,800 that Gavin won. With Terry getting the FJ! clue right he will have a long time to think about the bad ass victory that got away. Somehow I doubt that the extra $1,000 for the second place finish will be enough to ease the “what if” game.

The FJ! clue was open to lots of guesses for anyone that did not know the right guy. The simplest path was 1976 Best Picture winner and the star while recalling the more recent installment of the series.

A trickier path would be working with recent Best Supporting Actor nominees to stumble upon the right guy.

The good luck path would be to think of actors with multiple nominations and if you knock it out that way then well done.

I think today’s players showed how the clue will go on the board with quick solve on one side and fingers crossed guesses on the other side.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:59 am
Terry’s DD miss saved a show a lot of money with the difference between a champ payout of $39,601 and just the $9,800 that Gavin won. With Terry getting the FJ! clue right he will have a long time to think about the bad ass victory that got away. Somehow I doubt that the extra $1,000 for the second place finish will be enough to ease the “what if” game.
Terry's DD miss was excruciating.

M painters and no Monet or Manet? Coupled with yesterday's Waldenless Thoreau category.. interesting stuff from writers.

For FJ, my first guess was Indiana Jones/Ford.. didn't have the years for first and last installments. Went to Rocky, but didn't know 2015 movie. So, ended with Stallone as a desperate attempt. Glad it worked out.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

It must have been random FJ wager day today.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That was an excruciating loss for Terry.

I surprised myself by getting this. My first thought was someone from Star Wars, but that was in 1977. Suddenly I remembered Stallone had got a supporting nod for Creed and I was done.

Jill was getting crushed, but she may regret her huge FJ wager rather than just betting enough to get over Gavin's MSBIW score.

Mark, have you found Terry's research paper on line?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Instaget FJ. The Academy Awards have kind of become one of my stronger suits (from 1970 onwards anyway), and I immediately got the right person. It had to be him. Couldn't think of anyone else.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm That was an excruciating loss for Terry.

I surprised myself by getting this. My first thought was someone from Star Wars, but that was in 1977. Suddenly I remembered Stallone had got a supporting nod for Creed and I was done.

Jill was getting crushed, but she may regret her huge FJ wager rather than just betting enough to get over Gavin's MSBIW score.

Mark, have you found Terry's research paper on line?
No, I have not found his research paper on line, but I only took a quick look after watching the game since I wanted to work on getting an old game in the Archive before lunch.

If this is Terry's Twitter then Andy and some others will like some of Terry's photos: https://twitter.com/terry_hanlon?lang=en

What is the over/under for numbers of times someone comments on today's game using "excruciating?"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I can see why he got the Bryce Harper clue.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

The second straight day that Gavin's been champ, but not by any coincidence. Yes, this was one of those "What if" moments. Terry's backfire on the DD killed his stride and Gavin must be breathing a sigh of relief right there for the fact that during FJ!, Jill bet something, and she did...all of her money. If Jill was smart, she could have bet $0 to become champ just in case of a bad clue she wasn't comfortable. Nicholson and Eastwood weren't bad guesses for the most, but I don't think Nicholson hasn't played a movie role with the same character, neither did Eastwood, at least in my count. Were there any Clint Eastwood roles where he had to play the same character twice?

Terry bets more than enough twice, which isn't a coincidence. $2,400 more in the first, and $3,800 in this one. He may want to be careful in future games because that could unintentionally backfire if the other players have the right bet and win. It's good to be gutsy with betting, but not if you intentionally throw your money away for a small win.

Like MarkBarrett and Bamaman said, this clearly was quite a sad moment for Terry to get a win because of his right response. But no...Gavin completely was the one who took it away from him.

A bad bet by Jill and a DD misfire from Terry resulted in the champ's repeat in this one for sure.

On a side note, do you think Anthony Hopkins would have been an unassuming guess?
Last edited by MTGcollegestudent on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I was in the audience for this one and was stumped on FJ--really glad it wasn't in either of my games! :D
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:43 pm
M painters and no Monet or Manet? Coupled with yesterday's Waldenless Thoreau category.. interesting stuff from writers.
FYI, the writers did inclue Walden in that category but it was in the hidden "sixth" clue (accessed via the J!6 game online)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:50 pm The second straight day that Gavin's been champ, but not by any coincidence. Yes, this was one of those "What if" moments. Terry's backfire on the DD killed his stride and Gavin must be breathing a sigh of relief right there for the fact that during FJ!, Jill bet something, and she did...all of her money. If Jill was smart, she could have bet $0 to become champ just in case of a bad clue she wasn't comfortable. Nicholson and Eastwood weren't bad guesses for the most, but I don't think Nicholson hasn't played a movie role with the same character, neither did Eastwood, at least in my count. Were there any Clint Eastwood roles where he had to play the same character twice?

Terry bets more than enough twice, which isn't a coincidence. $2,400 more in the first, and $3,800 in this one. He may want to be careful in future games because that could unintentionally backfire if the other players have the right bet and win.

Like MarkBarrett and Bamaman said, this clearly was quite a sad moment for Terry to get a win because of his right response. But no...Gavin completely was the one who took it away from him.

A bad bet by Jill and a bad DD misfire from Terry resulted in the champ's repeat in this one for sure.

On a side note, do you think Anthony Hopkins would have been an unassuming guess?

Gavin has to cover Jill possibly doubling to 26K
To do that he has to bet 6200 or 6201.
If Gavin misses then he has either 13600 or 13599
Either way Jill can't win unless she gets the FJ! clue correct.

That's with a normal expected bet from Gavin.
He instead big a pretty 10K leaving himself with 9800 on the miss.
Yes, Jill could have won by betting zero.
The problem is she does not know what Gavin will wager.

On the other hand she could have bet zero and Gavin could have bet 6200 even to land at 26K on a hit.
Then there would be yelps why didn't she bet it all.
It gets a little silly to judge the bets with 20/20 hindsight in some cases.

Gavin took nothing away from Terry. Terry went for the outright lead in the FJ! round and it did not work out. Happens. If Terry bets $5 on DD3 he very likely wins the game, but of course he can't know at that moment how the FJ! round will play out. Terry bet on himself when he had control of the moment. No shame in that.

Clint Eastwood has played the same character in Dirty Harry movies and in those orang movies.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I posit that exactly $3200 out of Terry would have been an incredibly interesting bet to make on that final Daily Double (though I do not fault his "bet for the lead" thought here whatsoever).
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

JayK33 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm Instaget FJ. The Academy Awards have kind of become one of my stronger suits (from 1970 onwards anyway), and I immediately got the right person. It had to be him. Couldn't think of anyone else.
I assume the record before 2015 was
Spoiler
Paul Newman as Fast Eddie Felson (The Hustler (1961), The Color of Money (1986)): 25 years.
, but I'll happily be corrected for a better answer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:43 pm
JayK33 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm Instaget FJ. The Academy Awards have kind of become one of my stronger suits (from 1970 onwards anyway), and I immediately got the right person. It had to be him. Couldn't think of anyone else.
Spoiler
Paul Newman as Fast Eddie Felson (The Hustler (1961), The Color of Money (1986)): 25 years.
You are correct, sir.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/galler ... -blanchett
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:11 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:43 pm
Spoiler
You are correct, sir.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/galler ... -blanchett
Now that is a darn good link for trivia. Reminded me of this FJ, from 2001:
THE OSCARS: One of 4 men nominated twice for playing the same character
Click here for answer.

Also, from your link, "The only woman to... etc." is still in play.
Golf

Post by Golf »

The scores on the last clue were:

Gavin Borchert: 19800
Terry Hanlon: 10000
Jill Staunton: 13000

Terry's 9801 wager requires him to answer both remaining questions correctly in order to win, but the good thing is if he does so he guarantees victory. If not he definitely loses. So what were the odds of him doing so? I'd wager <25%, FJ is usually a 50/50 and on a bottom row clue in that category he's definitely no better than 50/50.

So what if he wagered 3200? This puts him in an interesting position with a correct answer, 2nd place and exactly 2/3rds of the leader. If he wants he can wager 0 and win on a TS. He can wager everything and lock out Jill with a correct answer. If he misses the DD he has 6800 and can still win with a sole solve in FJ.

Please note I'm not saying he made a bad wager, I liked the fact that he went for it when not many would. Just think it was an interesting situation and curious to know if there was a better play.

Gavin's DJ DD wager was pretty useless IMO, 2nd row clue in a pretty simple category. That spot was just begging for a TDD. But we all know less than 1% of contestants are going to have the game theory savvy to do so.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Elijah Baley wrote: It must have been random FJ wager day today.
It is every day for Gavin.
He's got potential for putting up five wins but being apparently oblivious to wagering theory is going to make it extremely dicey.
MarkBarrett wrote:Then there would be yelps why didn't she bet it all.
Not from me. She didn't need to bet any more than 12,600.

Got Final on an educated guess.
Also Cronkite lach trash.
Last edited by Category 13 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.