New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:17 pm
A quick scan gave me these missing months.

Season 1:
May 1985
A game from 6/3/84 is tagged Airdate approximate"
I think the season ended early then, so were there games in July?
This video was tagged on Dailymotion as being from the last week of the season, so the "June" part is pretty much certain. I just picked Monday to make things easy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:45 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:17 pm
A quick scan gave me these missing months.

Season 1:
May 1985
A game from 6/3/84 is tagged Airdate approximate"
I think the season ended early then, so were there games in July?
This video was tagged on Dailymotion as being from the last week of the season, so the "June" part is pretty much certain. I just picked Monday to make things easy.
Thanks. That leaves the archiveless months as:

May 1985
March 1986
June 1986
July 1992
June 1994
July 1994
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Glenn Kane played Miriam Nadel & Cecil Rose: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5726

Player pics:
Spoiler

Color was not working on the tape.
Alex announced that the producers told him it was the 1000th episode taped, so I noted that in the game description.

My sports recall time machine did not quite work to recall the right QB for SPORTS $400 as I went with a different guy who was there around that time.

I had to laugh when sure enough there was a THE 19TH CENTURY category in the game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Is that exactly what the player said for the Laker? That isn't his name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:49 pm Is that exactly what the player said for the Laker? That isn't his name.
Yes, there was no "Abdul" from the contestant or host. You have a point though about it not being his name, so I will edit that clue after one other post I want to make here.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I grew up near Cecil's hometown, so I did some digging on him. Sadly, he died in 2015.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/C ... =guestbook
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Animfan1 has posted the April 28, 1987 episode on Dailymotion:

http://dailymotion.com/animfan11
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ He's also got the April 17, 1987 game up. Closer to April 13... :D
Spoiler
Which means that Jim Ryan was on the April 13, 1987 show as a new contestant.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:40 pm Glenn Kane played Miriam Nadel & Cecil Rose: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5726
[...]
Alex announced that the producers told him it was the 1000th episode taped, so I noted that in the game description.
For anyone who was wondering why Show #1075 would be the 1000th episode taped:
  • the 65 episodes that were rebroadcast during the hiatus between between the first two seasons were given new production numbers
  • the 10 games of the 1989 Teen Tournament, which had aired two months prior, were actually taped after this game took place
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:37 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:40 pm Glenn Kane played Miriam Nadel & Cecil Rose: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5726
[...]
For anyone who was wondering why Show #1075 would be the 1000th episode taped:
  • the 65 episodes that were rebroadcast during the hiatus between between the first two seasons were given new production numbers
  • the 10 games of the 1989 Teen Tournament, which had aired two months prior, were actually taped after this game took place
Thank you. I had the 65, but was wondering about the other 10.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1744

And I snuck in before bed and finished April 16, 2002, Summer Douglass vs. Joe Miazgowicz vs. Ben Bass (and Beyond).
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:43 pm DJ had a GAME SHOWS category they didn't finish, but it adds Summer Bartholomew and Celebrity Sweepstakes to the J-Canon too.
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:00 pm Didn't expect to be entering another Celebrity Sweepstakes reference so quickly, but Alex had a slip of the tongue when announcing the DD at CELEBRITY SECRETS for $500, so there you go.
And I didn't expect another Summer Bartholomew reference so quickly either, but in her contestant interview, Summer Douglass indicated she was named after the Sale of the Century hostess.

I had hoped to have this game, with its FILL IN THE (MEL) BLANC category, finished by Monday on the anniversary of Blanc's death, but alas 'twas not to be.

The SALLY FORTH category in DJ was not about the comic strip, to my disappointment.

New to the J-Archive, "CAT" GOT YOUR TONGUE for $2000:
Inflammation of membranes in the nose & throat
Spoiler
What is a catarrh?
And clue of the game, CIVIL WAR STUFF for $2000:
On April 12, 1862, Union soldiers went on a rampage after stealing this Confederate locomotive
Spoiler
What is the General? (Alex: Buster Keaton made a film about it.)
FJ was a surprise triple-stumper, which Alex commented on the following day. I got it very quickly, and knew Alex's fun fact besides.

Have a nice day all.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Harriet Helfand played Bob Chauls & Keith Hunsinger: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5728

player pics:
Spoiler

THE SUPER BOWL category got outdated with the last 3 clues.

At clue 19 of the DJ! round Harriet got the $800 clue correct, but then started a new category at the top. Where was DD3? Waiting for her at the $1000 box in the category where she just got one right.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:28 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:37 pm ETA: My congratulations to anyone who got that FJ correct in 2017.
Believe it
I remember being on a family trip where we changed planes at DFW (on a different airline) during what I think was their first bankruptcy, and seeing all their planes of many colors parked wherever there was room on the airfield.

Other airlines named after people that come to mind are Hughes AirWest and Laker -- hence, I assume, the "transcontinental U.S." qualifier in the clue.

Okay, okay, and PeopleExpress, smartypants.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Animfan1 just uploaded the April 16, 1987 game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Cigus Vanni played Keith Level & Sarah Lehman: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5731

I have his fifth game (I expect it's complete) and will put that in the Archive on Monday. He second game was Mon. Jan 2nd with bowl games, so I don't have that one.

Player pics:
Spoiler

The FJ! clue response by Cigus:
Spoiler
I put in the Archive what it looked like to me.

I forgot to mention yesterday about the 10/24/88 game that New Orleans came up in two different correct responses and the number 12 came up for two different correct responses in the same category.

It looks like the motto for The Three Musketeers can go either way, so no problem with the order by Cigus in OPERETTAS $800.

This game had the DDs picked off early with 4+2+5.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:48 pm
The FJ! clue response by Cigus:
Spoiler
I put in the Archive what it looked like to me.
You have it correct.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:48 pm Cigus Vanni played Keith Level & Sarah Lehman: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5731
Heads up. The Dandie Dinmont Terrier and its Walter Scott connection come up once every 14 years like clockwork, so any contestants in 2031 should be ready for it.
#7485, aired 2017-03-10 SIR WALTER SCOTT & HIS WORKS $2000: This "Dandie" breed is named for a character in "Guy Mannering", one of Scott's Waverley novels
#4448, aired 2003-12-31 DOGS $2000: The Dandie Dinmont Terrier was named for a farmer in this man's novel "Guy Mannering"
#1002, aired 1989-01-03 ANIMALS $500: The Dandie Dinmont, a dog in this group, was named after a farmer who raised them in "Guy Mannering"
3 different clues with 3 different responses about the same factoid. That's interesting. Triple stumper every time, too. Maybe you'll be the one who finally gets it right in 14 years. Don't forget!
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Animfan11 has another game up: The April 14, 1987 game.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:40 pm
I had to laugh when sure enough there was a THE 19TH CENTURY category in the game.
Just out of curiosity, what was funny about that?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:11 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:40 pm
Just out of curiosity, what was funny about that?
A category such as THE 19TH CENTURY can have the "TH" shown different ways in the old games I have done. There was a post commenting on the detail I went into in the category notes for one of the games I archived. There was a little and forth about that in this thread.

The next game I archived had that category and the TH was presented in a different way than the previous game that had such a category, so it made me laugh since it occurred so soon after the discussion.

For whatever reason the format varied from 19TH to 19th to 19TH to 19th with the underlining right under the letters or more space between the underlining and the letters. The TH or th can also be smaller in size than the number.

Archivists see the correction suggestions submitted by readers of the Archive and over the years there have been many about wanting a 19TH changed to 19th. I've learned to make a note with the category detailing exactly how the category was shown.