Wednesday, July 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

silverscreentest wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:18 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:54 pm
immaf wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 pm My brain went immediately to Osama Bin Laden, and no matter how much I insisted that 1957 was far too early for that to be correct, it refused to serve up another answer. Stupid brain.
In '57 he'd have been a lot closer to 6" tall (and no beard -- probably ...) . :)
The New York Times article appeared in February. Osama Bin Laden was still in utero.
twelvefootboy wrote: I knew Fidel was a good size because he almost became a professional baseball player.
That story is a myth. Fidel was never that good a baseball player.
Thanks for the citation - I knew he was mostly a wannabe pro player, and chose "professional baseball player" thinking he could have been good enough to struggle in one of the 200 or so different minor leagues that existed back then.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

davey wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:11 am
jwatcher16 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:19 am Hi all -
This was a pretty fun game, although I didn't get to watch as closely as I would have liked. All three were cool and congrats to Gavin. And thanks to the boardie who posted the neat links about Gavin. Sorry I didn't note exactly who, my bad.

But I'm really wanting a bit of help. Will the archive be up soon or can anyone give the exact wording of that LBJ Great Society quote? I have tried and tried to find it online and have not been successful. And would anyone just happen to know the source - speech or something? Thanks in advance. It's a great quote and I REALLY want to tweet it.
The Great Society is when America's promise and her practice come together.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=26674
THANK YOU MUCH, davey!!! I just love that quote and can't wait to pass it on! Thanks for the link as well!!!
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

earendel wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:41 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:30 am I had 'The Wise Men at Work' then quickly added 'three', but wonder how the judges would've ruled on that. I don't like BEFORE AND AFTER, Biblical or otherwise
The gospel of Matthew doesn't specify the number of magi (wise men) that came to visit. The assumption was that there were three because there were three gifts offered (gold, frankincense & myrrh), and later tradition named them (Melchior, Gaspar & Balthazar), but just "wise men at work" should have been acceptable.
Hi earendel -

I do hope you get to read this... I really like the quote/tag thing at the bottom of your post... where did that come from?
earendel

Post by earendel »

jwatcher16 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:30 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:30 am I had 'The Wise Men at Work' then quickly added 'three', but wonder how the judges would've ruled on that. I don't like BEFORE AND AFTER, Biblical or otherwise
The gospel of Matthew doesn't specify the number of magi (wise men) that came to visit. The assumption was that there were three because there were three gifts offered (gold, frankincense & myrrh), and later tradition named them (Melchior, Gaspar & Balthazar), but just "wise men at work" should have been acceptable.
Hi earendel -

I do hope you get to read this... I really like the quote/tag thing at the bottom of your post... where did that come from?
It's an Elvish phrase, found in The Lord of the Rings (specifically The Fellowship of the Ring).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

earendel wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:55 am
Hi earendel -

It's an Elvish phrase, found in The Lord of the Rings (specifically The Fellowship of the Ring).
Hello and again I hope you do get to read this. Thanks a lot!!! I wouldn't have guessed Tolkein (am I spelling his name correctly?)! I've never read any of the trilogy (and from what I've heard of the end, I probably wouldn't like it). BTW, did you see Mysteries at the Museum the other week? They had a story about Tolkein and an ancient ring someone found in England that probably was his inspiration for the trilogy!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $41,000
46 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Civil Disobedience, Revisionist, game reserve, National Historic Site, Three Wise Men at Work, implosion (DD), steel (DD), Dan Marino

FJ! sounded to me like a perfect description of Castro, so I locked him in and didn't look back. I wonder how much the "olive-skinned" connection was helped by the fact that he was virtually always seen in military fatigues.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

On this FJ, my mind kept trying to go between Ho Chi Minh and Deng Xiaoping, but I thought of Castro eventually.
earendel

Post by earendel »

jwatcher16 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:18 am
earendel wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:55 am
Hi earendel -

Hello and again I hope you do get to read this. Thanks a lot!!! I wouldn't have guessed Tolkein (am I spelling his name correctly?)! I've never read any of the trilogy (and from what I've heard of the end, I probably wouldn't like it). BTW, did you see Mysteries at the Museum the other week? They had a story about Tolkein and an ancient ring someone found in England that probably was his inspiration for the trilogy!
I didn't see that, but I imagine that Tolkien's inspiration was the Norse sagas (collected by Richard Wagner in the "Ring cycle" of operas).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I am very far behind on J! because I went to a second-tier Wheel of Fortune audition. Within two weeks I should be able to tell you whether I will finally be on TV.

Ran 5 "CC"s.

WLT Hanoi, Hulk, Kim Kardashian, Concord, dynamite, or FDR in the top box?

I only got Pretoria after the other two were negged. Otherwise, no hope in that category at all.

Stats for $200 was a coinflip on FL/CA.

AUTON tripped me up since it wasn't an intialism like the other 4.

I totally bombed the Before & After. 30 pieces of silver?! Herod the Great?!?

Didn't get the first 2 in Metal, but I got the two under it. AC/DC sucks ass. And they're not metal.

Lach Trash: game reserve, steel

No guess on FJ!