Thursday, July 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, July 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by A Wray »

jwatcher16 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:57 am I just think the writers should have taken a bit more care when they wrote this one.
Thank you! That's all I'm saying. Well, I'm also saying that I would be pissed if I lost on a clue like that, and would definitely appeal to TPTB, knowing that I would probably be unsuccessful. I'd like to think I'm pretty sensitive to language (I got a perfect 800 on the old SAT II Writing, if anyone cares), and I saw "Latin for cross" + "extreme pain" and had no trouble leaping to "excruciating." But I wound up clamming, because that seemed so clearly wrong. And whether it's "word for" or "term for," I challenge anybody to find a clue in the Archive in which (a) contestants are supposed to identify a "word for" or "term for," and (b) that phrase isn't followed by a legitimate definition. If there are such instances, maybe I'll change my tune.

Hopefully that's all for me on this topic. I look forward to the poll.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

A Wray wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:37 am
jwatcher16 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:57 am I just think the writers should have taken a bit more care when they wrote this one.
Thank you! That's all I'm saying. Well, I'm also saying that I would be pissed if I lost on a clue like that, and would definitely appeal to TPTB, knowing that I would probably be unsuccessful. I'd like to think I'm pretty sensitive to language (I got a perfect 800 on the old SAT II Writing, if anyone cares), and I saw "Latin for cross" + "extreme pain" and had no trouble leaping to "excruciating." But I wound up clamming, because that seemed so clearly wrong....
I would be pissed at myself for clamming on a Daily Double, especially if I had "no trouble" coming up with the right response.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Learned something today.

I never realized Stallone got nominated for Rocky, even though Rocky got Best Picture. In face I've always thought that the very idea of the words Stallone and Oscar in the same sentence had to be a joke.

So this FJ was definitely surprising.

Still, when I thought of the biggest movies of 1975, and who's around today still in pictures, Stallone was all I could come up with. I write it down because (this is a recording) any response is better than no response at all. And I was prepared to eat humble pie for that ludicrous guess. And lo and behold it's a get. I'll take it, esp. since that keeps ;me 4-for 4 in FJ this week.

Congrats to Gavin on a nice second win. Yeah, he should have won with a properly-wagered TS, but that was some first class questionable FJ wagering all around.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:24 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm That was an excruciating loss for Terry.

I surprised myself by getting this. My first thought was someone from Star Wars, but that was in 1977. Suddenly I remembered Stallone had got a supporting nod for Creed and I was done.

Jill was getting crushed, but she may regret her huge FJ wager rather than just betting enough to get over Gavin's MSBIW score.

Mark, have you found Terry's research paper on line?
No, I have not found his research paper on line, but I only took a quick look after watching the game since I wanted to work on getting an old game in the Archive before lunch.

If this is Terry's Twitter then Andy and some others will like some of Terry's photos: https://twitter.com/terry_hanlon?lang=en

What is the over/under for numbers of times someone comments on today's game using "excruciating?"
It was certain a painful loss for Terry and I really feel for him. It was such a tough choice - wager big to give yourself a better chance on FJ or wager small, particularly given how difficult the category seemed to be up to that point. You could see the wheels spinning but it's really a shame it didn't come to him. Personally, I hate those 10, 11, 12 (etc.) letter category because just coming up with the right word in general is tough and then you have to consider various forms of the word to get the right number of letters?

Little bits of luck can make champs - or thwart them from getting to that point.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:24 pm If this is Terry's Twitter then Andy and some others will like some of Terry's photos: https://twitter.com/terry_hanlon?lang=en
Yes, I retroactively was rooting for Terry as a result of your comment. It makes sense; UVA is pretty much Nats territory. Speaking of the Nats, when the clue about Bryce came up, I went "Huh? That's his nickname?" I seem to be supported in that assessment as indicated in this item in The Post today:

Jeopardy Thinks Bryce Harper's Nickname Is Bam Bam
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:28 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:24 pm If this is Terry's Twitter then Andy and some others will like some of Terry's photos: https://twitter.com/terry_hanlon?lang=en
Yes, I retroactively was rooting for Terry as a result of your comment. It makes sense; UVA is pretty much Nats territory. Speaking of the Nats, when the clue about Bryce came up, I went "Huh? That's his nickname?" I seem to be supported in that assessment as indicated in this item in The Post today:

Jeopardy Thinks Bryce Harper's Nickname Is Bam Bam
I don't feel so bad then. I had never heard that nickname, but I thought maybe it was a regional thing?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:03 pm An article about Jill: https://springfieldbusinessjournal.com/ ... -gameshow/

Other Google-fu turned up other images with her and the flower whatever the meaning is behind it.
Ha! Reminds me of Twin Peaks and the "blue rose" cases. In last week's NYC audition, I was dying to ask, "What does the recent profusion of flowers in the players' hair mean?" but instead asked how many guests I could bring to my taping ;)

Terry got lucky with a correct response on the penultimate clue to get the last clue DD (could've been a runaway otherwise); seemed like he responded a second too soon, though. I had crucifying/-ixion but then kept searching for something that fit better and got to "excruciating"

Missed FJ - need to review the Oscars. Didn't even pick up on "same role" until a few seconds into the think music. Put Robert Redford, knew it was wrong, he didn't even get nominated for All is Lost (2013)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:11 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:43 pm
JayK33 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm Instaget FJ. The Academy Awards have kind of become one of my stronger suits (from 1970 onwards anyway), and I immediately got the right person. It had to be him. Couldn't think of anyone else.
I assume the record before 2015 was
Spoiler
Paul Newman as Fast Eddie Felson (The Hustler (1961), The Color of Money (1986)): 25 years.
, but I'll happily be corrected for a better answer.
You are correct, sir.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/galler ... -blanchett
Which meant my response of Peter O'Toole wasn't even second best, by a LONG shot. Sigh.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:25 pm
Also Cronkite lach trash.
Got Cronkite, but not from the clue; Alex's hint of a Cronkite impression led me to it. Not a great impression, but enough of one.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:21 pm
Got Cronkite, but not from the clue; Alex's hint of a Cronkite impression led me to it. Not a great impression, but enough of one.
I said Mike Wallace, because I knew he did more than one game show in the 1950s. Wallace even acted in a Broadway show in the 1954-55 season. But immediately after I realized Wallace was never an "anchor" like in the clue. Then I knew it had to be Cronkite. I'm not sure why Alex seemed to think game show was a strange item on his resume. It even sounded like it was based on the news...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:21 pm
I thought he was trying to do a Harry Reasoner impersonation. Which seemed like a stretch because he wasn't that well known except for news junkies. But he definitely has/had a unique speech timbre and cadence.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,000
49 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: peeled/pealed, Walter Cronkite, longshoreman, approachable, excruciating (DD)

I had no idea that Stallone was nominated for Creed, but I knew he got a nod for Rocky, so I locked it in.

I think "term describing extreme pain" would have been better than "term for extreme pain," but I don't think it's a do-over-worthy error. In any event, kudos to Terry for going for the gusto.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I only knew he got nominated for Creed is because that was the year the nominees were all white and I read about someone complaining he got nominated instead of the guy who played Creed in the movie. I didn't see the movie and don't follow the Oscars much, so I wouldn't have gotten this otherwise.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:15 pmthe guy who played Creed in the movie
That actor's name is Michael B. Jordan. Given the similarity to the name of the former minor-league baseball player/cologne pitchman, it's worth storing away in the old memory banks.
Sprinkles are for winners.
mujason

Post by mujason »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:35 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:15 pmthe guy who played Creed in the movie
That actor's name is Michael B. Jordan. Given the similarity to the name of the former minor-league baseball player/cologne pitchman, it's worth storing away in the old memory banks.
In fact, TOC participant and boardie Jeff Richmond (not to be confused with Tina Fey's husband of the same name) had to use the audience on that very question last season on Millionaire.

$7,000
Adding the middle initial “B” to which former sports great’s name gives you the star of the 2015 film “Creed”?
A: Nolan Ryan B: Walter Payton
C: Michael Jordan D: John McEnroe

Audience results:
A: 9% B: 13% C: 77% D: 1%
-Jason
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

The term "excruciating pain" accurately describes my attempts to remember anything about movie or music awards. My only way in on this one would have been associating 1976 with Rocky, and I didn't. I had no idea Rocky was still alive and kicking, either. And since Stallone is often associated with "worst actor" lists, I would have dismissed him anyway. Though since acting awards are subjective and heavily political, I should ignore that. Meryl Streep would get nominated for dressing up as a pork chip and playing La Marseillaise on a harmonica.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

tsHuffington Post (NHOI) was my only miss in Webby.

I had Mockingjay but not Catching Fire. Hawley-Smoot rule again.

WLT South Dakota for $400, and why was "Head" in quotes?

WLT vodka for $400? That whole category was very YEKIOYD.

That was a tough game show category. Those were all very obscure.

"Longshoreman" was also very obscure for $400. That whole category was also very tough, given the TSes.

Lach Trash: excruciating.

One of the ad breaks ran a little long so I didn't see the actual FJ! clue, causing me to accidentally fast forward right to middle guy's reveal. No way I would've gotten this anyway, so I'm counting it as a miss.