The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:02 am
WLT "poor" at $200? That whole category was very YEKIOYD.
Actually, the category was the exact opposite of YEKIOYD. No one would be expected to know Confucius quotes. Instead, they expected people to deduce the opposite of rich, for example. At most, they expected you to know that Confucian thought honored ancestors, so "mother and father" were the people you're supposed to stay close to while they're alive.
I'll have to see the clues, because I didn't deduce any keywords in any of them.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:57 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:02 am
WLT "poor" at $200? That whole category was very YEKIOYD.
Actually, the category was the exact opposite of YEKIOYD. No one would be expected to know Confucius quotes. Instead, they expected people to deduce the opposite of rich, for example. At most, they expected you to know that Confucian thought honored ancestors, so "mother and father" were the people you're supposed to stay close to while they're alive.
I'll have to see the clues, because I didn't deduce any keywords in any of them.
Ok, here you go:

"Not to grumble at being ____ is hard, not to be proud of wealth is easy"
Or: what is the opposite of being wealthy?
"He that rules by mind is like the ____ star, steady in his seat, whilst the stars all bend to him"
Or: Name a star that doesn't move.
"The three hundred poems are summed up in the one line, think no ____"
Or: What's the most important moral code? The Christian counterpart would be, "This commandment is above all others." "Think no evil" is just the flip of "love thy neighbor."
"Whilst thy ____ and ____ are living, do not wander afar"
The only one that it helped knowing something about Confucian thought, i.e., the importance of ancestors, but "mother and father" are pretty obvious - the only other reasonable guesses might be grandparents or children.
"Eating coarse ____ and drinking water...we may be merry; but ill-gotten wealth" is "a wandering cloud"
Maybe the most difficult of the group - and hey, it's the $1000 clue! - but basically, what's a staple of Chinese diet? Rice! (Even if you're not sure what "course rice" would mean, exactly; it would be a very reasonable guess).

As it's been said repeatedly here, sometimes it helps not to over-think things or assume that a category requires some specialized knowledge. Unless someone is a Confucian scholar, it's extremely unlikely that any player would have actually heard or read any of these but as shown above, at least three of the five were incredibly easy to get with just a little thought - and the other two weren't much more difficult.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Those required logical thought, something TPH is incapable of even trying to do.

I clammed on evil, but it would have been my guess if it had been a DD. I guessed bread instead of rice.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

nlw44 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:28 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 pm
nlw44 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:38 pm

[citation needed]
http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search
Thank you, Bamaman. But honestly, I would have thought that TPH could take the simple and obvious step to do the J! Archive search himself.
You must be new here.
Not at all. Usually I sigh to myself in exasperation and/or amazement, but just sometimes I can't keep myself from venting. Some years ago I replied to a typical TPH post with the tried and true, "Sometimes you just have to know stuff." The line has been used before and since, but it does no good so I try to rise above the fray. Obviously, not tonight.
I know you aren't new here. It was more of a joke in that this has been brought up hundreds of times before in this and game threads, yet we (and I'm as guilty as anyone) continue to point things out to him he is more than capable of doing himself.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:33 pm
"Not to grumble at being ____ is hard, not to be proud of wealth is easy"
Or: what is the opposite of being wealthy?
I totally didn't pick up on the parallels at all.
"He that rules by mind is like the ____ star, steady in his seat, whilst the stars all bend to him"
Given what we knew of the solar system in Confucius' time...
Or: What's the most important moral code? The Christian counterpart would be, "This commandment is above all others." "Think no evil" is just the flip of "love thy neighbor."
There are lots of words besides "evil" that convey the same thing.
"Whilst thy ____ and ____ are living, do not wander afar"
The only one that it helped knowing something about Confucian thought, i.e., the importance of ancestors, but "mother and father" are pretty obvious - the only other reasonable guesses might be grandparents or children.
Or any two random-ass people.
"Eating coarse ____ and drinking water...we may be merry; but ill-gotten wealth" is "a wandering cloud"
Maybe the most difficult of the group - and hey, it's the $1000 clue! - but basically, what's a staple of Chinese diet? Rice! (Even if you're not sure what "course rice" would mean, exactly; it would be a very reasonable guess).
[citation needed]
Elijah Baley wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:33 pm As it's been said repeatedly here, sometimes it helps not to over-think things or assume that a category requires some specialized knowledge. Unless someone is a Confucian scholar, it's extremely unlikely that any player would have actually heard or read any of these but as shown above, at least three of the five were incredibly easy to get with just a little thought - and the other two weren't much more difficult.
I still found them total shots in the dark.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:28 pm
There are lots of words besides "evil" that convey the same thing.
I thought of the "see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil" monkeys. Whatever works, I guess.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:28 pm
I still found them total shots in the dark.
Except that it's been illustrated to you that these were not shots in the dark; at most, one or two of them required an educated guess. Maybe you viewed them that way before, but you can't make that claim now.

(And it's baloney, by the way, that people had some lesser understanding about the North Star's stationary position in the sky in the time of Confucius - people have been navigating by the stars for thousands of years, and given your experience in church, you may have even heard about a story where there was a "Star in the East that guided them." Because you don't have to know the first thing about the Solar System or galaxies or the nature of the universe to be able to look up at night and make observations about the points of light in the sky).
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

You mean to tell me that the one time you attempted lateral thinking, it led you astray? It's perfectly fine to ask WLT but you're not helping yourself by inventing narratives that suggest the clues are flawed rather than you.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
BobF

Post by BobF »

They all move, Elijah!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Um... Marilyn Monroe? :::::: fleeeeeeee ::::::
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Name a star (the kind in the sky) that is known as "____ Star". Break it down to that. I don't know how to make it any simpler. I'm sure there are other stars that could fit in there, but not many that would be in a Jeopardy! clue.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:43 pm Name a star (the kind in the sky) that is known as "____ Star". Break it down to that. I don't know how to make it any simpler. I'm sure there are other stars that could fit in there, but not many that would be in a Jeopardy! clue.
Dog Star, Barnard's Star (and that one's still probably a 4th or 5th row TOCer) and I'm stumped past that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

BobF wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:58 am
They all move, Elijah!
Is that according to that Danish guy - Copernicus?
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:53 pm Madden, Mozart, or Zulu in the top box?
-NHO that shameless cash-grabbing frachise by EA that makes the same game every year?

-Disregarding that Mozart is the right answer for a fair number of top-row composer clues, what led to it was that he had "oz" in his name.

-Shaka Zulu is the category subject's (informal) full name.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Wheatley wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:53 pm Madden, Mozart, or Zulu in the top box?
-NHO that shameless cash-grabbing frachise by EA that makes the same game every year?

-Disregarding that Mozart is the right answer for a fair number of top-row composer clues, what led to it was that he had "oz" in his name.

-Shaka Zulu is the category subject's (informal) full name.
Alex also referred to it as "the Shaka Zulu category" when talking about the reversal.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:53 pmWLT Henry VIII
Anne Bullen = Ann Boleyn = wife of Henry VIII (Granted, that got by me tonight, but I've been sick.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:26 am
Anne Bullen = Ann Boleyn = wife of Henry VIII (Granted, that got by me tonight, but I've been sick.)
Because we all know how much I love "it sounds like a keyword, kinda sorta almost" as a TOM.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:13 pm
Because we all know how much I love "it sounds like a keyword, kinda sorta almost" as a TOM.
One change of syllable stress is the only difference.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:15 pm
Yep and Bullen was the original spelling. Boleyn was the family putting on French airs after the two daughters served at French court for a while. They were big social climbers. ;)
davey

Post by davey »

KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:04 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:15 pm
Yep and Bullen was the original spelling. Boleyn was the family putting on French airs after the two daughters served at French court for a while. They were big social climbers. ;)
Sorry, but I believe that's a myth-
https://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/bole ... n-changed/