Friday, July 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Pulitzer winner changed his first name to that of an Irish king, avoiding associations with a famous ventriloquist’s dummy

Gavin Borchert: 15800+5000=20800 (3x = $50,200)
Larissa Dizon: 3000-3000=0
Vicky Smith: 9800+9800=19600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Cormac McCarthy (Larissa – Fitzgerald) (Vicky – McCarthy)

Daily Doubles
Vicky: 1200-1200
Gavin: 9200+3000
Larissa: 6000-3000

Coryats
Gavin: 14000
Larissa: 6000
Vicky: 11000

Combined: 31,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yeah, thanks writers that I needed a reminder the Vikings did not make the playoffs last season.
Yes, Gavin likes the Sounders: http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/how-i ... the-final/

Sometimes I can be a dummy even when I get the FJ! clue right as I began with changing Charlie to Charles in thinking of Bergen's famous guy. That gave me nothing. Working with the last name got me on the road to enjoy the final 25 seconds of the music.

I’m glad the clue did not force me to find famous authors with names ending in Mahoney, Smiff, or I would hope not, Snerd.

Gavin could make it easier on himself on Monday by paying attention to the category and not serving up a $2000 rebound like he did today guessing Marlowe in BIG BEN. That turned a potential 19800 to 7800 lock into a closer 15800 to 9800 crush.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The category isn't one I want to see when I'm 4/4, but the last name hint made it smooth sailing.

I just put down his last name and had no concern it wouldn't be accepted. I wasn't 100% sure of his first name so I decided to play it safe.

Mark, it must have been a tough week as a Vikings fan to see that clue after putting their Super Bowl clue in the other day.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

No clue on today's FJ. So with that embarrassing miss from a couple days ago, I'm 3/5 this week.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:59 pm The category isn't one I want to see when I'm 4/4, but the last name hint made it smooth sailing.

I just put down his last name and had no concern it wouldn't be accepted. I wasn't 100% sure of his first name so I decided to play it safe.

Mark, it must have been a tough week as a Vikings fan to see that clue after putting their Super Bowl clue in the other day.
The season's on the line...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Gavin over wagered again but at least this time it wasn't enough to cost him the game as long as second place also got it wrong. How long will Gavin continue to draw challengers who don't know how to wager from 2nd ? And will he do any internet research that might lead him to better FJ wagering strategy during the time between taping days? How many games before the season closes out? If he makes it to the end, he stands a good shot at getting 'educated' before Season 34 starts taping.
I pre-called his even $5000 wager.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

After whiffing on yesterday's FJ from the audience, I actually guessed this one right, and I'm a huge nerd because I got it by the Irish kings route. I'm like "Who's a famous Irish King, oh, Cormac? Ah! Must be Cormac McCarthy" and thought of the ventriloquist dummy a bit later. Got "jumping to Conclusions" from the audience too. This game's a bit easier once you're out of the hot seat. :lol:
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

For FJ, I knew Charlie McCarthy was the dummy, but I figured I wouldn't get it because I couldn't think of the first name. Accepting just "McCarthy" doesn't seem right, but YMMV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:59 pm Mark, it must have been a tough week as a Vikings fan to see that clue after putting their Super Bowl clue in the other day.
Those are the two times I have flipped the bird this week. This is July when hope lives, so wrong time for those clues.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I guessed Cormac McCarthy at the end but I wouldn't have had enough time to write it down. I couldn't think of any Irish kings or the name of the dummy. I just guessed famous contemporary Pulitzer winners and it worked out ok.

Was that last daily double really difficult or am I missing something? Is it well known that Barbarians are derived from Greeks?

Tough game for me today. Well played by the contestants.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pmWas that last daily double really difficult or am I missing something? Is it well known that Barbarians are derived from Greeks?
The word is from the Greek language, yeah. It was a badly-written clue.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

For some reason the first ventriloquist's dummy I could think of was Lester. :D

Charlie McCarthy came to me pretty soon after that, though.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Too many ways to get to FJ.. Which also makes it tougher. I couldn't recall the dummy name and had to look it up. It was clear who was wanted.
No gets on big clues today.. Disaster.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had to close my eyes and think for about ten seconds to coalesce my inklings into the name Charlie McCarthy. Then I thought momentarily, "There's a famous author with the last name of the anti-Communist senator?" before going yeah, of course, it's Cormac. Luckily there was no ambiguity in my mind about what J! wanted me to think of by saying "famous ventriloquist's dummy."
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I spent the first ten seconds or so of the think music trying to think of an author named Snerd or any other famous dummy. Once I gave up on that and tried to think of contemporary American Pulitzer-winning authors, McCarthy was the first one I thought of, and he seemed to fit the rest of the clue.

I read The Phantom Tollbooth a long time ago, but I don't remember much of it. But even without remembering it, that seemed like a real WECIB? clue. Maybe it helped that I always refer to a certain local church as "Our Lady of Jumping to Conclusions".
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I couldn't get through All the Pretty Horses but I enjoyed his later work plus Charlie McCarthy is pretty basic stuff. I hated that the stupid Seattle Sounders story took so long and we missed the last 3 clues in Nation States. Can't they just edit that stuff out?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Got FJ primarily because I am a fan of OTR, and figured no one really had the last name of Snerd.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:53 am Got FJ primarily because I am a fan of OTR, and figured no one really had the last name of Snerd.
You guessed Kerouac? ;)