Friday, July 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, July 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

French Rage wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:27 pm For FJ, I knew Charlie McCarthy was the dummy, but I figured I wouldn't get it because I couldn't think of the first name. Accepting just "McCarthy" doesn't seem right, but YMMV.
I'm kind of surprised that they accepted McCarthy as well, even though I understand that they routinely accept just the last name. This seems like it would have been one of the rare exceptions, although I would have expected Alex to clarify that before the clock started running.

But, since I would have never gotten to Cormac - I've heard of the author's works but not the author - I'll take the gift as I at least knew "McCarthy."
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

doihavetoreally wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:31 am Too many ways to get to FJ.. Which also makes it tougher. I couldn't recall the dummy name and had to look it up. It was clear who was wanted.
No gets on big clues today.. Disaster.
How about the most roundabout way ever:

I can picture in my mind's eye:

Murphy Brown, who leads me to...

Candace Bergen (OK), who leads me to...

her dad, Edgar Bergen (you're warm!), whose famous dummy was...

I swear I'm the famous dummy now. Given another 30 seconds I think I could have come up with Charlie McCarthy, but all I could come up with before the Think Music ended was...

Mortimer Snerd.

I'm going to my room now. Poop.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm
Was that last daily double really difficult or am I missing something? Is it well known that Barbarians are derived from Greeks?
That was probably my least favorite clue of the game. I might have said Greeks just to avoid clamming, but I found the clue to be misleading. The word "barbarian" comes from the Greek language, since evidently they used "bar-bar-bar-bar" to imitate foreign languages (somewhat like we use "blah-blah-blah", but I found the clue misleading -- I thought originally they were looking for the peoples or nationality the Greeks thought were Barbarians. Phoenicians? Egyptians? Macedonians? Assyrians? I thought the clue was badly phrased.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

dinghammer wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 am I read The Phantom Tollbooth a long time ago, but I don't remember much of it. But even without remembering it, that seemed like a real WECIB? clue. Maybe it helped that I always refer to a certain local church as "Our Lady of Jumping to Conclusions".
"Office Space" helped in getting that one. :P
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:12 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm
Was that last daily double really difficult or am I missing something? Is it well known that Barbarians are derived from Greeks?
That was probably my least favorite clue of the game. I might have said Greeks just to avoid clamming, but I found the clue to be misleading. The word "barbarian" comes from the Greek language, since evidently they used "bar-bar-bar-bar" to imitate foreign languages (somewhat like we use "blah-blah-blah", but I found the clue misleading -- I thought originally they were looking for the peoples or nationality the Greeks thought were Barbarians. Phoenicians? Egyptians? Macedonians? Assyrians? I thought the clue was badly phrased.
Yeah I went with Greeks because I knew the word came from them and it's the only applicable answer I could think of, but it was hard to tell exactly what the question was asking for.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:22 pm I'm kind of surprised that they accepted McCarthy as well, even though I understand that they routinely accept just the last name. This seems like it would have been one of the rare exceptions, although I would have expected Alex to clarify that before the clock started running.
Because answering just McCarthy would really only require knowledge of the dummy and not the author? I don't think that's how it works. Unless there's another famous author with the last name McCarthy, McCarthy alone should suffice.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,000
42 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: jumping (DD), Jose Cuervo, Greeks (DD), Lamentations, state supreme court
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:37 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:22 pm I'm kind of surprised that they accepted McCarthy as well, even though I understand that they routinely accept just the last name. This seems like it would have been one of the rare exceptions, although I would have expected Alex to clarify that before the clock started running.
Because answering just McCarthy would really only require knowledge of the dummy and not the author? I don't think that's how it works. Unless there's another famous author with the last name McCarthy, McCarthy alone should suffice.
I'm with EB here. I didn't expect them to require the first name since they didn't specify such, but I thought they should have. Otherwise, as you suggest, you literally don't have to know anything about the author in question. Just as people who used the Irish King TOM had to figure out famous Irish King --> Cormac --> Cormac McCarthy, I think people using the dummy TOM should have had to jump from ventriloquist's dummy --> Charlie McCarthy --> Cormac McCarthy. In principle, this is similar to the rule that when the clue names or strongly hints at one famous member of a family as a TOM for another, you can't simply answer with the shared last name.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I was just the other day explaining to my son what ventriloquism was, and that it was the pinnacle of entertainment in the '50s, revered by kings and peasants alike. Which led to a discussion of McCarthyism and a bunch of other tangentially related subjects.

Never really liked The Road (though I appreciate a different take on Armageddon lit) - seems like one long Game Of Thrones scene, but that was as quick as I'll ever get a FJ without a pre-call (went with Gone Girl).

Why wouldn't they take McCarthy alone? It's always in the question when they want first names, and that's usually category-specific. How would you neg that answer under those circumstances? They have occasional clues where people guess correctly based on side information without having any knowledge about the subject.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Got FJ via ventriloquist's dummy -> Charlie McCarthy -> "what's an Irish sounding name that's similar to Charlie and used by a famous contemporary author" -> Cormac McCarthy. Took about five seconds.

Would be interesting to find out if Vicky knew the first name or just took a chance on the ventriloquist's dummy being Charlie McCarthy. I was also initially surprised that the last name only was accepted, and blithely assumed that that the contestants had been briefed that first and last name was required. But the clue specified the person as male and a Pulitzer winner, so I'll grudgingly agree with the last name only, although it leaves something of a bad taste in my mouth.
davey

Post by davey »

Since I defended the writers on a notorious DD yesterday, I won't complain on Barbarians-Greeks, though this one's obviously worse since it bit me with what seems to be the popular misreading. But really I have to take some responsibility for dismissing Greeks from my mind... :(

The Phantom Tollbooth DD is why I distrust the whole idea of "wheelhouses." Children's lit is Vicky's expertise so she was probably racking her brain to recall the book, overlooking the obvious response that required no knowledge it. (I read it decades ago.)

There's a tradition on J! of clues wanting surnames that almost no one will know the first name of, so I have no problem with anybody who got this clue solely from guessing the dummy...I wrote C. McCarthy myself just for the hell of it, but I have little doubt as a literary editor Vicky knew it. It's sort of in her wheelhouse!... :roll:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:22 pm Since I defended the writers on a notorious DD yesterday, I won't complain on Barbarians-Greeks, though this one's obviously worse since it bit me with what seems to be the popular misreading. But really I have to take some responsibility for dismissing Greeks from my mind... :(

The Phantom Tollbooth DD is why I distrust the whole idea of "wheelhouses." Children's lit is Vicky's expertise so she was probably racking her brain to recall the book, overlooking the obvious response that required no knowledge it. (I read it decades ago.)

There's a tradition on J! of clues wanting surnames that almost no one will know the first name of, so I have no problem with anybody who got this clue solely from guessing the dummy...I wrote C. McCarthy myself just for the hell of it, but I have little doubt as a literary editor Vicky knew it. It's sort of in her wheelhouse!... :roll:
... and we know they accepted both "Cormac McCarthy" and "McCarthy" by itself. But I'm still wondering if they would have accepted "Charley McCarthy," since that (or Charles) was the author's name before changing it to Cormac. They could have rejected it, since the clue referenced the Pulitzer (which he won as Cormac after the name change), but I'm left to wonder.....
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

As soon as I saw the FJ category, I knew my dream of getting my first ever 5/5 was over. NHO Edgar Bergen, NHO Charlie McCarthy, NHO King Cormac and NHO Cormac McCarthy. Makes it kinda hard. :lol:
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

TV (5), Nation (1), Lit (4), "D" (3), ICYMI (4), Hidden Gem (3)
Kansas (2), Bible (2), Years (5), Expression (1), Big Ben (4), Watch (2)

Lach Trash: American Idol

I thought of the ventriloquist dummy Charlie McCarthy, but I wasn't sure of the name of the Irish king. Cormac McCarthy didn't come to mind, so I discarded that guess and didn't have anything else.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Tough clues today but managed to find some trash: Levant, India/Pakistan, State Supreme Court

Didn't understand the year references in the ABBREV. #1 TV SHOWS category. Oh, never mind - the year must refer to when the show was #1? Didn't get that at all
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instantly got McCarthy from the ventriloquist's dummy, but ask me for an Irish king and I'll say Brian Boru every time. So I naturally answered Brian McCarthy :evil:
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

In addition to the Greek-barbarians clue, the mating display was also confusing. I got both, but I was sharply focused on what they were looking for. Under the bright lights, I'm not surprised the contestants got them wrong.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:37 pm
I only knew the dummy, which I guess is really the question they were asking; I would have never come up with Cormac given all the time in the world (contemporary authors is definitely a weak category for me). So, I'm not complaining for getting (cheap) credit, but just the way it was phrased, I sort of assumed that they needed a first and last name.

(And googling "McCarthy" and "author," a number of presumably much lesser known authors show up; it's not exactly "Smith," but McCarthy isn't so rare or unique, either).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

silverscreentest wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am In addition to the Greek-barbarians clue, the mating display was also confusing. I got both, but I was sharply focused on what they were looking for. Under the bright lights, I'm not surprised the contestants got them wrong.
Mating displays always confuse me.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OMG I REMEMBER THE ENORMOUS EGG! And Phantom Tollbooth.

Abbreviated for $600 had a totally massive error.

Fox + AI froze me up because I couldn't think of anything other than Artificial Intelligence. Total headslap on reveal, and my only miss in the category.

"Display" was overly specific IMO.

I hate those "hidden word" category. I always overlook the one word where it's actually hiding and can't shift gears in time. Is there a trick to doing those?

WLT cat for $200?

Fear not, I actually like Metallica, so I won't trash them.

Jose Cuervo was another stupid miss.

I've heard "what does that have to do with the price of tea in China", but "not for all the tea in China". The former may be something my mom made up, because she tends to randomly make up expressions on the spot.

NHO "stealth craft".

Negged with Jesus on Bible for $400, thought Sodom/Gomorrah was way earlier in the Bible, saw no connection between barbarian = Greek, and no way was I getting Lamentations. I work at two churches; how is there so much of the Bible that we've never touched? I don't think we've ever read Lamentations.

Lach Trash: Jumping

No guess on FJ! as usual. Can't name any Irish kings, nor any ventriloquist's dummies associated with anyone other than Jeff Dunham. NHO Cormac McCarthy, Edgar Bergen, or Charlie McCarthy.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:44 pm Abbreviated for $600 had a totally massive error.
Are you going to say what it actually is?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012