FJs for the 7/10/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 7/10/17 week

Poll ended at Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Often considered appealing, these features are a genetic defect of the zygomaticus muscles of the face
92%
One in Europe & one in Africa, these 2 landlocked countries start with the same 2 letters & end with the same 4
67%
A landmark 1957 New York Times story called him "a powerful six-footer, olive-skinned...with a straggly beard"
79%
He holds the record for time between acting nominations for the same role, 39 years between 1976 & 2015 films
56%
This Pulitzer winner changed his first name to that of an Irish king, avoiding associations with a famous ventriloquist's dummy
68%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
26%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
WE MEAN BUSINESS $1000: You can get a "Zestimate" of a home's value or search for a new house at this website
79%
AVIAN POETRY $800: "And a good south wind sprung up behind"; it "did follow, and every day, for food or play, came to the mariner's hollo!"
76%
12-LETTER WORDS $2000: The Latin for "cross" gives us this term for extreme pain
83%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I got Switzerland first and then Swaziland.
45%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I got Swaziland first and then Switzerland.
8%
I got Sylvester Stallone on Thursday even though I did not know or was not sure about his two nominations for playing Rocky.
15%
I solved the Friday FJ! clue mostly from the Irish king angle.
2%
I solved the Friday FJ! clue mostly from the Pulitzer-winning author angle.
7%
I solved the Friday FJ! clue mostly from the ventriloquist dummy angle.
60%

Total votes: 126

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 7/10/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

7/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE HUMAN BODY

7/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Often considered appealing, these features are a genetic defect of the zygomaticus muscles of the face

7/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDLOCKED COUNTRY NAMES

7/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One in Europe & one in Africa, these 2 landlocked countries start with the same 2 letters & end with the same 4

7/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LEADERS

7/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A landmark 1957 New York Times story called him "a powerful six-footer, olive-skinned...with a straggly beard"

7/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ACADEMY AWARDS

7/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He holds the record for time between acting nominations for the same role, 39 years between 1976 & 2015 films

7/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN AUTHORS

7/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Pulitzer winner changed his first name to that of an Irish king, avoiding associations with a famous ventriloquist's dummy

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
dimples
Switzerland and Swaziland
Fidel Castro
Sylvester Stallone
Cormac McCarthy
The players were 10/15 (66.67%) with a 3-1-3-1-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players followed by a requested Daily Double miss.

WE MEAN BUSINESS $1000: You can get a "Zestimate" of a home's value or search for a new house at this website

AVIAN POETRY $800: "And a good south wind sprung up behind"; it "did follow, and every day, for food or play, came to the mariner's hollo!"

12-LETTER WORDS $2000: The Latin for "cross" gives us this term for extreme pain

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Zillow
albatross
excruciating
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 7/10/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No guess for the landlocked countries.
I knew Stallone had the dual nominations for playing Rocky.
Ventriloquist dummy angle was my path on Friday
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wednesday all I could think of was Khrushchev, which no. Eastwood Thursday, no guess Friday. Never heard of Charlie McCarthy.
Switzerland first Tuesday, and glad I started in the right part of Europe.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Got to Switzerland before Swaziland.

Got Stallone despite not knowing of his nominations.

Got McCarthy from the ventriloquist's dummy angle.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Even if it still listed the names under who got what right, I think I'd still be the only one who missed Monday's and got the other four right.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I was stumped on the Oscar question. If I'd played Thursday, I'd have been the inverse of Terry: I'd have gotten the DD and then missed the FJ.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:26 pm Even if it still listed the names under who got what right, I think I'd still be the only one who missed Monday's and got the other four right. The only thing I could remotely think might have been the right answer was pouty lips.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Knew my European landlocked countries better than Africa, started there and tried a few before landing on Switzerland which instantly clicked with Swaziland.

Was not sure of Stallone's nominations, but the dates made sense.

Got Friday off the dummy part of the clue first, would have written down Cormac McCarthy.

Caboom

Post by Caboom »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I'll get it one day. Friday also ended my best ever streak of 7 in a row.

Instagets on Monday and Wednesday. On tuesday I can't really say whether I got Switzerland or Swaziland first, they just popped into my head together after a couple of seconds.

Stallone wasn't instant, but I still got it in less than 10 seconds. Didn't know he was nominated for Rocky, but I knew he had to be the correct response after I saw the years and remembered he was nominated for Creed.

No chance for me on Friday.

Mark, it seems the votes for this poll are locked after voting. Not that I need to change mine, but perhaps others do.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Caboom wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 pm Mark, it seems the votes for this poll are locked after voting. Not that I need to change mine, but perhaps others do.
It's fixed, thanks, as that one tiny check box to enable re-voting is easy to miss.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Precalled Switzerland. I don't think I'd have gotten it at all without the precall.

Wasn't sure on Castro because it seemed a bit early and I didn't think he was that tall. Then I remembered the Washington Senators tryout story and that sealed it. Good thing I didn't know it was false. :)

I knew Rocky was 1976 and it was easy from there. As an Italian teenage boy, I was a big Rocky fan in 1976 and remember being bummed that Peter Finch won the Oscar that year (posthumously).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

The best I could guess was Christopher Plummer, who's been around forever and whom I knew to have been recently nominated.

I have previously noticed how odd it is that there should be three countries whose names, despite being unrelated as far as I know, begin with "sw," and the appropriate subset popped into my head fully formed as I pondered the FJ, so I cannot say I thought of one before the other.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I knew about Sylvester Stallone's double nominations...If only I'd thought about Sylvester Stallone!... Eastwood was my best stab...:oops:
I believe I thought, Famous American writer with an Irish-sounding first name?...oh, yes, Cormac! Yes, he has a Pulitzer for The Road. Dummy? Of course, Bergen's buddy...response confirmed! They should all go so smoothly... :roll:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:26 pm Even if it still listed the names under who got what right, I think I'd still be the only one who missed Monday's and got the other four right.
I was close. Started 0-for-2 and finished 3-for-5.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

The only suspenseful one was McCarthy on Friday. I only knew the dummy, NHO a writer by the name, but Charlie McCarthy seemed common enough to be duplicated. If forced to guess a first name, I settled on Harold, but I claimed the gimme for only needing the last name.

IMHO the writers dropped the ball on the excruciating clue language. It would not pass muster for a crossword puzzle clue - the parts of speech and conjugations have to match. I can't play guitar notes 12 frets down the neck without peeking and I can't estimate word length of 12 letters without counting, so, lots of wrong notes. I don't like these clues or anagrams but understand the appeal of reaching out for more than just knowledge. Every viewer needs to have an edge in some categories.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I think that's my first-ever 8/8 in regular play
Switzerland
Knew about the first Stallone nomination, but not the second
Charlie McCarthy
Sprinkles are for winners.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

All but "Zillow". I did guess it started with "Z".

I said "excruciation", as the clue demands a noun, though I can't say I remember ever seeing the word.

I went right to the Alps for the European country. It would have taken a while before I got to Belarus or Moldova (though looking at a map just now, it's not at all clear to me that Moldova is actually landlocked).

I could not confidently have named a single movie from 2015, but I knew 1976 was Rocky, and that seemed promising.

I only considered the interpretation "dummy of a famous ventriloquist" and Charlie Mac came forthwith, and I knew Cormac was an author and that McCormack was a common Irish surname, though Brian Boru was the only king I could have named.
I'm smart and I want respect.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Instagets on Monday and Wednesday, near-instaget on Friday.
Would have taken a lot of time to get the landlocked countries, and no way was I getting the Oscar question - I had totally forgotten the 2015 movie. I said Paul Newman just to say something, even though I knew the years were totally wrong.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Named the poem on that one.

Thursday was the surest I've been of a(n) FJ response in a while. I'll usually say something like "I think I know it" or "I have a guess", but that one got an "I know it."
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

I NHO Charlie McCarthy or the Irish king, so Cormac McCarthy was a guess. No idea on Wednesday; Harrison Ford on Thursday.