Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by mcsheffrey »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:10 pm This is where being not-as-well-traveled helps. It looked like Iguazu Falls to me, and I had never seen what Victoria Falls looked like. So it was a coin flip that I was on the right side on. Never considered any other waterfall, lol. Also don't know what the "dystopian" part of the clue actually means in this context.
I had mostly the same thinking except that once I narrowed it to Brazil and Argentina then the dystopian part clicked in even though I was confused because I thought that hint made more sense with Terry Gilliam than Michael Palin.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

American West ML MD8, Q5 we're spotted Riders of the Purple Sage and Grey and 40% of the players can't pull Zane? Come on, people! I thought that one was going to be the easiest question so far.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

boson wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:27 pm These minileagues have been fun, but the contrast between them is impressive. I'm not doing much more than assigning defense for the golden age of TV league. I'm doing ok in the travel one, and it is a pretty good quiz. I'm really enjoying the American West league though - great questions that are accessible while still being obscure. Yesterday I got a 0(1) with some bad coin flips in my guessing, but I had a 9(6) the day before. I'm sure everyone else has a different opinion about the questions - I guess it is a good reason to have three minileagues in parallel when the writing is more varied than Thorsten's.
Agreed. I expected great things from pacek on Travel and have not been disappointed, but wasn't sure what was coming down the pike for the American West ML. It has turned out to be fantastic.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Argh! A tie in yesterday's travel ML moved me from first place in my group down to third.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 am Argh! A tie in yesterday's travel ML moved me from first place in my group down to third.
bummer

I had some great days and some dismal days. Finished the MLs with 2 forfeit wins and 5(4)-6(5) loss in Travel for a 7th place finish, 5th in both American West and TV :/
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 am Argh! A tie in yesterday's travel ML moved me from first place in my group down to third.
A loss moved me to third in Travel, but I qualified for the finals in The American West and (surprisingly) NGATV.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I had the most amazing luck in Travel and managed to finish in first with a middling TCA. A mixed blessing that was, as I finished close to the bottom of the Championship, getting only one question right :oops:
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woof wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:57 pm
I had the most amazing luck in Travel and managed to finish in first with a middling TCA. A mixed blessing that was, as I finished close to the bottom of the Championship, getting only one question right :oops:
I made the championship in both Travel and the West, through some knowledge and lots of luck, but only answered 5/24 questions for this final round... I'm not convinced the championship rounds need to be so tough: 1DSs are much more accessible than this and we still crown a single clear winner most of the time.

Anyhow - those were both fun leagues, and any travel or west quiz that had me challenging to win would be de facto incorrect, so at least the result validated that I don't know that much about either topic.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

boson wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:06 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:57 pm
I made the championship in both Travel and the West, through some knowledge and lots of luck, but only answered 5/24 questions for this final round... I'm not convinced the championship rounds need to be so tough: 1DSs are much more accessible than this and we still crown a single clear winner most of the time.
The amazing thing is it seems like no matter how difficult they are, there's always a couple people that get all 12 answers correct. I looked at both the championships rounds yesterday and I would have been right there with you, about 5-6 correct out of 24.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

A recommendation : do the Supervocalics 2 1-day special on now (Sunday). Really good wordplay mixed with trivia. I know that I often skip a 1DS if I don't even recognize the title, but don't let that stop you on this one.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

I (co-)WON MY FIRST 1DS! YEEEEAAAHHHH!!!!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:07 pm I (co-)WON MY FIRST 1DS! YEEEEAAAHHHH!!!!
Congrats! I enjoyed the Supervocalics one day, too.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I got about 8 of them initially. I had to think about Pudd'nhead Wilson, because I wasn't sure it wasn't Puddin'head (but I knew there was an apostrophe there).

I was in the middle of a music festival between bands when I had a bit to sit and think about the other three. I was able to zoom in on the newspaper masthead and noticed a Baltimore Ravens press conference, so that was straightforward. For some reason I was confusing "A Chorus Line" with "All That Jazz" and kept disregarding it. And I'm not a drinker but I was able to drag "cointreau" out of the depths.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:36 pm I got about 8 of them initially. I had to think about Pudd'nhead Wilson, because I wasn't sure it wasn't Puddin'head (but I knew there was an apostrophe there).

I was in the middle of a music festival between bands when I had a bit to sit and think about the other three. I was able to zoom in on the newspaper masthead and noticed a Baltimore Ravens press conference, so that was straightforward. For some reason I was confusing "A Chorus Line" with "All That Jazz" and kept disregarding it. And I'm not a drinker but I was able to drag "cointreau" out of the depths.
Congrats!

I'm happy with my performance on this one, but even happier about just how wrong my was answer to question 1. In the description of how to put your hands, I somehow pictured the arms outstretched in front of me with palms up, flexing middle and index finger was misread somehow to being middle finger and thumb. I looks like Spiderman shooting web. Spiderman is half way to being a supervocalic, so I never looked any further, except to find a word with "ou" in it. Thus, "Spiderman Shout" was born.

I should have had "Cointreau" but I'm proud to reason out "Chalk Outline" without knowing the song/album.

It is quizzes like this that keep me coming back to the 1DS on LL.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:36 pm I was in the middle of a music festival between bands when I had a bit to sit and think about the other three. I was able to zoom in on the newspaper masthead and noticed a Baltimore Ravens press conference, so that was straightforward.
I noticed all the Baltimore and Maryland related imagery, but was convinced the second word was going to be the vowel heavy "Journal" so I came up with Tide Journal. Sounded like it could be something. :D
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Is there going to be a boardie private rundle in LL74?
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:27 am
jjwaymee wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:40 pm Is there going to be another Rundle in the Jundle?
It looks like I missed the deadline. I'm really sorry about that. It will definitely be back for LL74.
I hope so! It made things a little more dull for LL73. :-) If BigDaddyMatty is not able, is there another Commissioner's Circle member willing to step up?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So I go and do The MIghty Handful shortly after I wake up in the morning. Then during the drive to work, radio station plays part of Glinka's "A Life for the Tsar." Guess one of the questions I got wrong on that one!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

cmp146 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:53 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:27 am
jjwaymee wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:40 pm Is there going to be another Rundle in the Jundle?
It looks like I missed the deadline. I'm really sorry about that. It will definitely be back for LL74.
I hope so! It made things a little more dull for LL73. :-) If BigDaddyMatty is not able, is there another Commissioner's Circle member willing to step up?
Thanks for reminding me! Here's the info. Come one, come all!
Rundle name: Rundle in the Jundle 4
Password: jboardisnumber1
Sprinkles are for winners.
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Is there still space in the rundle? If so, what sort of variety (i.e. A-E) are most people? I wouldn't want to join and end up being easy prey for people :/