Monday, July 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, July 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 pm Lach Trash: otoscope, "Hey Joe", Parker's Markers.
Frank's Cranks cost me the run in the category. Almost WAG'd "Hank's" because it was the only name I could think of that rhymed with Cranks.

Exploits can be heroic?

NHO "executor" or "beatitudes" either.

"By a [part of head]" mis-Pavloved me to "by a hair". Any chance that'd fly with the judges?

Polymers -> monomers was a huge leap. Can we poll that, given the TS in the top box?
Well done on otoscope! I knew I knew the word but couldn't dredge it up.

"Hank's Cranks" was my first guess as well, but officially I clammed. Once Gavin gave the correct response, I recognized the name Frank McCourt.

As a noun, "exploit" can mean "a bold or daring feat."

What kind of church you go to again? I'm pretty sure you've heard of the Beatitudes and just don't recall the term.

Interesting question on "by a hair." I could see the judges going either way. Not sure how I'd rule if I were one of the judges. "By a nose" is the standard expression. But I'd bet announcers have used "by a hair" from time to time. The catch may be that the clue specified that horses "sometimes literally" win in this way. Is it possible for a horse to literally win by a hair? What happens when horses cross the finish line at exactly the same time and even photos from multiple angles can't tell you which was first?

I didn't notice that the monomers clue was top box (and in SJ!). I agree that's seriously undervalued and would be curious to see poll results.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Horse (5), Plastics (1), Schools (5), 7-Letter (1), Hodgepodge (3), Authors' Rhyme Time (3)
Hendrix (3), Journey (3), "O" Yes! (1), Spain (4), Falls (1), Plane (0)

Lach Trash: maiden

I immediately said eel and later thought of jellyfish, but didn't change it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm Anybody else say shark?
Obviously sharks are boned fish, but are there actually poisonous sharks? Not that I'm aware of.

edit: well, yes, sort of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_shark#As_food
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

28 Right. The contestants would have beaten me soundly today.

Jellyfish was my answer for FJ.
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:45 pm Do eels have bones? They seem to have teeth. I never heard much about them having venom. Does the shark cartilage count as no-bones?
From some quick research it looks like a skeleton can be made of either bone or cartilage and that bone/cartilage are definitely distinct materials in all animals. Sharks and rays have skeletons made out of cartilage and everything else including bony fish have a skeleton made out of bone. It looks like eels do have bones. The only boneless marine animals would be invertebrates, sharks, and rays.

Slightly off-topic but I think Michael Phelps is going to be racing a shark soon. That should be fun.

Monomers to polymers was a really easy clue if you've ever taken a materials science course. Maybe it shouldn't have been top box though. The shapeable clue was pretty tough I don't know how they would have judged alternative responses.

I missed the marjoram/oregano connection even though I just learned that. I think it will stick this thyme.

I didn't know that the word "cameo" was used for carving a gem.

Gavin and Deborah were really impressive with their knowledge today.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

opusthepenguin asked:
"Interesting question on "by a hair." I could see the judges going either way. Not sure how I'd rule if I were one of the judges. "By a nose" is the standard expression. But I'd bet announcers have used "by a hair" from time to time. The catch may be that the clue specified that horses "sometimes literally" win in this way. Is it possible for a horse to literally win by a hair? What happens when horses cross the finish line at exactly the same time and even photos from multiple angles can't tell you which was first?"
---
no. a horse race can be decided by a nose, or a head, or a neck, or a length (or half a length or many lengths). experienced announcers *never* use "by a hair."
in the event that two horses cross the finish line at the exact same time, as shown by the photo, the two horses equally split the first- and second-place prize money. all bettors who have bet on either horse (to win or place) are paid.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,600
43 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: monomers, maiden, "Hey Joe", otoscope

I briefly considered eel, but I wasn't aware of any venomous eels.
Sprinkles are for winners.
cherrypork
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cherrypork »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 pm My impression of Todd Giese holding on to the 15th slot for the TOC:

:lol: :shock: :|
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was sure I heard Gavin's say experience instead of experienced on the Hendrix question which in my book should have been negged.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:36 am I was sure I heard Gavin's say experience instead of experienced on the Hendrix question which in my book should have been negged.
Not having any idea of the correct response, I heard "experienced."
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

BAD WAGER ALERT :geek:
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

The last few minutes of DJ were intense with the lead changes! Rock on Deborah with a great big win.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

My understanding is that sharks have cartilage instead of bones (unless you count teeth as a specialized bone) so they might qualify on that part of the clue. But poisonous? I don't think so. That should lead you away from Jaws.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Started with jellyfish and then immediately began overthinking it. Sting rays? Eels? Sea anenome? Ended up sticking with jellyfish even though it seemed too obvious.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 am
My understanding is that sharks have cartilage instead of bones (unless you count teeth as a specialized bone) so they might qualify on that part of the clue. But poisonous? I don't think so. That should lead you away from Jaws.
I just now noticed it said venemous and not deadly.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 am
My understanding is that sharks have cartilage instead of bones (unless you count teeth as a specialized bone) so they might qualify on that part of the clue.
I suppose technically cartilage is not bone, but I felt like it was pretty clear they were looking for an animal not belonging to the chordates.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:36 am I was sure I heard Gavin's say experience instead of experienced on the Hendrix question which in my book should have been negged.
Of course "experience" should have been negged, which is why it's a good thing Gavin didn't say it. I was specifically listening for "experience" since that was the name of Hendrix's band mentioned in the TOM and I could imagine someone getting confused about whether to name that or the past participle in the album title. He definitely made it the past participle, and I think Alex's pause before ruling was an indicator he was listening for it also.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LT: otoscope, monomers, exploit (surprised no one got this one, especially with 2 definitions)

I need to take a trip to Hawaii so I can get start getting these clues about the 50th state

For plastics, I said flexible; for FJ, sting ray :(

I was just going through an old TOC game with a FJ about an American author's poodle, then the Steinbeck clue pops up today :)

So few players change categories after finding the first DD in Double Jeoaprdy! it seems like such a basic stratagem, but people just fall into that automatic top-down rhythm
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:01 am As a noun, "exploit" can mean "a bold or daring feat."
How are there still so many words in the English language that I've never heard used in a certain way? "Enterprising" was another one I remember from a recent episode, mainly because WNEM was also using it in commercials for their news programs.
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:01 amWhat kind of church you go to again? I'm pretty sure you've heard of the Beatitudes and just don't recall the term.
Oh, "Blessed are the poor in spirit" etc. etc. Those things. Didn't know they had a name.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

When they do the Script Ohio on the ice, the band pretty much marches to their spot, instead of "writing" it like they do on the field.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 pm I know of Robert B. Parker because he blatantly refuses to use anything other than "said" for dialogue, which my mom and I found out the hard way makes his audiobooks absolutely excruciating to listen to.
This is a classic rule of writing dialogue in good realistic fiction. Parker is from the Raymond Chandler school of detective fiction, although nowhere near as good as Chandler, who was one of the giants of good realistic fiction.