The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by guessonguessonguess »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm
Wheatley wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm You have no excuse there - In Pokemon, only flying types can learn the move "Roost."
I also haven't played it in like 10 years.
I ask you, how was I supposed to know that when your avatar is a Pokemon?
Let alone a Pokémon that was introduced less than seven years ago. :roll:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT Liverpool, posts, or Gershwin in the top box?
(7/20)
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:11 pm
(7/20)
Liverpool and the Mersey are practically synonymous. As instaget as London and the Thames, or New York and the Hudson.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

(7/20)
Since no one has answered the second part of this question, I will. The movie title was "Rhapsody in Blue," and that composition = George Gershwin. Should have been a BMS IMO, though, since his brother Ira was his lyricist and was also portrayed in the movie. Granted, Ira was not the composer, but still.

edit: Sorry, I guess I only answered the third part of the query. Missed the post bit.
Last edited by nlw44 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

(7/20)
Fancy old-fashioned beds that might have curtains around them are "four-poster beds," named for the columns at each corner that support a panel on top from which the curtains hang. (I'm sure there are modern ones that don't look like antiques, but to me the concept conjures up a sense of mustiness and aristocracy in olden times.) Basically, if a clue mentions a bed having (or, in this case, not having) four of something, it's going to be posts.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:35 pm
(7/20)
Fancy old-fashioned beds that might have curtains around them are "four-poster beds," named for the columns at each corner that support a panel on top from which the curtains hang. (I'm sure there are modern ones that don't look like antiques, but to me the concept conjures up a sense of mustiness and aristocracy in olden times.) Basically, if a clue mentions a bed having (or, in this case, not having) four of something, it's going to be posts.
To quote Sugar Ray, "Every morning there's a halo hangin' from the corner of my girlfriend's four post bed."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mungar wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:25 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:35 pm
(7/20)
To quote Sugar Ray, "Every morning there's a halo hangin' from the corner of my girlfriend's four post bed."
I thought about mentioning that, but the non-standard "four-post" and the shoehorning I'd have to do to work it in changed my mind.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Just. Can't. Escape. Car in front of me this afternoon.

tph.jpg
tph.jpg (291.1 KiB) Viewed 5759 times
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:39 pm How did "river" fit the cards category?
In Texas Hold'em the "River" is the last of the five communal cards in play.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:00 pm Just. Can't. Escape. Car in front of me this afternoon.
At least they don't appear to be Michigan plates ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:57 am
alietr wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:00 pm Just. Can't. Escape. Car in front of me this afternoon.
At least they don't appear to be Michigan plates ...
It would have really been freaky if the vehicle those plates were on was a Volkswagen Thing.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 pm
(7/20)
Liverpool and the Mersey are practically synonymous. As instaget as London and the Thames, or New York and the Hudson.
The association between Liverpool and Mersey isn't nearly as well-known as the other two city/river combos in this side of the Pond, although knowing the city had to start with "L" made it relatively easy. (I guess someone could have negged with Leeds.)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:18 am
(7/20)
The association between Liverpool and Mersey isn't nearly as well-known as the other two city/river combos in this side of the Pond, although knowing the city had to start with "L" made it relatively easy. (I guess someone could have negged with Leeds.)
Actually it's cemented in my mind from a 60s English band who has a song called "Ferry Cross the Mersey", true it doesn't say what city is on the Mersey but I associate Liverpool with the British Invasion thanks to the Beatles (even though Ferry isn't a Beatles song).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

dhkendall wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:52 pm
(7/20)
Actually it's cemented in my mind from a 60s English band who has a song called "Ferry Cross the Mersey", true it doesn't say what city is on the Mersey but I associate Liverpool with the British Invasion thanks to the Beatles (even though Ferry isn't a Beatles song).
Same here -- great song by Gerry and the Pacemakers, who followed the Beatles very closely in the British invasion. Gerry and the Pacemakers were also from Liverpool, and I think they even had the same manager as the Beatles.

The song was part of a somewhat-strained triple stumper in "Almost Before and After" for $800 in this game: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... pacemakers
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:09 pm First FJ 5/5 in about two months
Fun fact: the week of 12/17/07 is, if I'm not mistaken, the only time that I ever went 5/5 on Final Jeopardy!
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:11 pm (7/20)
Same here -- great song by Gerry and the Pacemakers, who followed the Beatles very closely in the British invasion. Gerry and the Pacemakers were also from Liverpool, and I think they even had the same manager as the Beatles.

The song was part of a somewhat-strained triple stumper in "Almost Before and After" for $800 in this game: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... pacemakers
Not surprising. While it's also no surprise that some boardies are aware of an over half-century-old song by Gerry and the Pacemakers that mentions the Mersey, and further know that band to have been Liverpudlian, I think it's fair to say that the Liverpool / Mersey connection is hardly an instaget for a large percentage of people in the J! contestant pool -- at least without being spotted an additional hint.
RoJo
Contributor

Post by RoJo »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:11 pm (7/20)
MST3K with a relevant riff:
https://youtu.be/14Mfmn7vN4g?t=35m41s
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:03 pm WLT Scotland, or Nike in the top box?
Scotland: The drink they were describing was a Scotch

Nike is the official footwear & apparel supplier of the NBA
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Re: Monday, September 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:31 pm

Any reason I should know Steve Beshear, Rand Paul, or Henry Clay = Kentucky?

#7404, aired 2016-11-17 NEVER PRESIDENT $1000: Henry Clay, who ran for president 5 times unsuccessfully, was a longtime senator from this state

#7519, aired 2017-04-27 REGARDING HENRY $1200: This congressman and senator died a few years before the Civil War, which he tried like heck to avert

Tonight's clue makes three hits for Henry Clay. THIS SEASON!

Aquarium fish with two letter Ps is going to be guppy.

Patti Davis request seen. As to honoring it, I'll see how the week goes. Have you heard of Maureen Reagan or Ronald Prescott "Ron" Reagan Jr.? Guess who Nancy was before she married Ronald? Yup, Nancy Davis. Presidential children come up a lot and you need to know most of them from 1948 to the present.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 pm Re: Monday, September 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:31 pm

Any reason I should know Steve Beshear, Rand Paul, or Henry Clay = Kentucky?

#7404, aired 2016-11-17 NEVER PRESIDENT $1000: Henry Clay, who ran for president 5 times unsuccessfully, was a longtime senator from this state

#7519, aired 2017-04-27 REGARDING HENRY $1200: This congressman and senator died a few years before the Civil War, which he tried like heck to avert

Tonight's clue makes three hits for Henry Clay. THIS SEASON!
"Henry Clay" is just such a generic name, and proof that my Hawley-Smoot Rule is real.

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 pmPatti Davis request seen. As to honoring it, I'll see how the week goes. Have you heard of Maureen Reagan or Ronald Prescott "Ron" Reagan Jr.? Guess who Nancy was before she married Ronald? Yup, Nancy Davis. Presidential children come up a lot and you need to know most of them from 1948 to the present.
No, none of the other Reagans ring any bells save for Michael, whom I know solely for his capacity as a game show host.

Also, besides Dubya, has any presidential child from 1948 onward done anything of note?