The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:56 pm
Also, besides Dubya, has any presidential child from 1948 onward done anything of note?
Yes.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:56 pm Also, besides Dubya, has any presidential child from 1948 onward done anything of note?
Truman: Margaret Truman was a noted author of murder mysteries as well as presidential non-fiction.
Eisenhower: first son Doud (his mother Mamie's maiden name) died at age 4; second son John was a career army / army reserve officer (retired as brigadier general) and later served as ambassador to Belgium
Kennedy: two children who were either stillborn or died shortly after birth; John Jr. was a lawyer and magazine founder who died in a plane crash alongside his wife Carolyn in 1999; Caroline works with non-profits and was most recently ambassador to Japan
Johnson: Lynda Bird served as the chairman of RIF (Reading is Fundamental) for 5 years and contributed to Ladies' Home Journal, is currently the oldest living child of a president (age 73); Luci has a family business does civic work
Nixon: Tricia has lived a private life as a housewife; Julie most notably married Eisenhower's grandson David in 1968
Ford: three sons (John, Steven, and Michael) and a daughter (Susan); John is an actor who has been in things I've seen but I don't remember him at all
Carter: Jack ran for Senate from Nevada in 2006 unsuccessfully; Amy was a political activist in the 80s, James III ("Chip") worked on his father's peanut farm; Donell ("Jeff") has lived a mostly private life
Reagan: daughters Maureen (actress and later political candidate) and Christine (died in infancy) with first wife Jane Wyman; they also adopted Michael (a political strategist and radio talk show host). Daughter Patti (actress and author) and Ron (liberal political commentator) with second wife Nancy
HW Bush: George W, governor of Texas and 43rd president of the US; John Ellis ("Jeb") , governor of Florida and 2016 presidential candidate; Neil, notably bailed out during the savings & loan scandal in the late 80s; Marvin, venture capitalist; Dorothy works with non-profits; daughter Robin died at age 3 in 1953 from leukemia
Clinton: Chelsea
W Bush: fraternal twins Jenna and Barbara
Obama: Sasha and Malia
Trump: three children (Don Jr, Eric, Ivanka) with first wife Ivana; one daughter (Tiffany) with second wife Marla; one son (Barron) with third wife Melania

Of those, you should know: Margaret Truman; JFK Jr. and Caroline Kennedy; Tricia and Julie Nixon; Amy Carter; Michael and Ron Reagan; George W; Jeb, and Neil Bush; and then all the children from Clinton on.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TPH:

C _ NGR_T_L_T_ _ NS!

TH_T
_S
GR_ _T
N_WS.

B_ST
_F
L_CK
_ND
W_N
S_M_
B_CK$.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Do you know when you tape and/or air?

Congratulations and I wish you the best of luck.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:26 pm Do you know when you tape and/or air?
They will call me in advance.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Congrats on getting The Call, TPH! Not before time too. Good luck!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Do us proud!
Attachments
IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG (66.22 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Congratulations! I hope you win all of the bucks.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Nice job TPH!!!!!
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

"Southernmost New England state" seems like a total toss-up on CT/RI.
No, it's really not. Take a look at one of those old maps you have lying around. Or this newfangled computer-generated one.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's only game 2, but you are already in midseason form. :)
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:03 am
"The Parent Trap" joins the "things I don't recognize in the top box" pile for me.

Magic in the Bible was an interesting category. None of that rang any bells for me, and the fact that there are witches at all in the Bible was news to me.
https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2 ... ap#p156811

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6 ... tch#p26142
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought all of those Texas towns were very obscure. Just like the last time they did a Texas towns category.
That's the point. You don't need to know there are Texas towns with those names. They're inferred based on the clue wording.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hannibal is often triggered in J! clues with Alps and/or elephants:

#7327, aired 2016-06-21 FAMOUS ELEPHANTS $800: He crossed the Alps with his favorite elephant, a one-tusked beauty named Surus
#7032, aired 2015-03-24 HANNIBAL LECTURE $800: In his crossing of the Alps, Hannibal lost all but 1 of his 37 of these, the only Asian one
#6863, aired 2014-06-18 HISTORY, ON THE MOVE $400: Around 218 B.C. this Carthaginian led 20,000 infantry into Italy via the Alps while dealing with the elephant out of the room
#5702, aired 2009-05-26 HISTORICAL MILITARY THERAPY SESSIONS $200: I brought 37 elephants on my 218 B.C. crossing of the Alps, but only 1 survived; I feel bad about that
#5541, aired 2008-10-13 FAMOUS ELEPHANTS $400: Surus was said to be the bravest of the war elephants that crossed the Alps with this Carthaginian
#5478, aired 2008-06-04 BRITISH ART & ARTISTS $600: You can barely make out the elephants in J.M.W. Turner's painting of this man "Crossing the Alps"
#5170, aired 2007-02-16 ANCIENT TIMES $1200: During this Carthaginian's crossing of the Alps in 218 B.C., he lost at least 10,000 men & most of his elephants
#4364, aired 2003-07-17 CONTEMPORARIES $200: While Archimedes was thinking up inventions, this Carthaginian was thinking of how to get elephants over the Alps
#3118, aired 1998-03-04 HISTORIC NAMES $400: Although we do know he crossed the Alps with about 40 elephants, we don't know what route he took
#2990, aired 1997-09-05 ANCIENT NEWS BULLETINS $400: Hannibal on way to attack Rome leads battle elephants over these mountains; the full history at 11
#1196, aired 1989-11-13 POTPOURRI $200: Hannibal had 38 of these animals when he began crossing the Alps, but few survived the ice & snow

Tonight's clue was a step up from the typical Hannibal clue and did not offer the usual hints.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 am There's aioli again. I still don't get why I should know what it is.
because they keep asking for it on Jeopardy? If I understand it correctly, you're asking why the trivia questions are on such trivial facts.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:17 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought all of those Texas towns were very obscure. Just like the last time they did a Texas towns category.
That's the point. You don't need to know there are Texas towns with those names. They're inferred based on the clue wording.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3351

Exactly. Here is a game where you had to name a city in Alabama that begins with the letter O. I have lived in Alabama for all but eight years of my life. (I'm 50). Two of these places I've never heard of and another I only know because I grew up near it. I doubt many people on here are familiar with any of them. But the category can be easily run based on the clues. The players only missed the top box and that is probably coming from not catching the TOM.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:17 am
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3351

Exactly. Here is a game where you had to name a city in Alabama that begins with the letter O. I have lived in Alabama for all but eight years of my life. (I'm 50). Two of these places I've never heard of and another I only know because I grew up near it. I doubt many people on here are familiar with any of them. But the category can be easily run based on the clues. The players only missed the top box and that is probably coming from not catching the TOM.
I have never heard of any of those, so I spent the whole category going "Wait, that can't be right, there's no [insert name here] in Alabama."
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

So even though they gave you a TOM on a silver platter, you dismissed the possibility that a medium-sized state could contain a tiny town named [insert city name here] that you'd never heard of? How many Alabama towns do you actually know? Unless you know like 99% of them offhand, that's pretty self-sabotaging strategy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

If the category is Alabama cities, then I expect Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Mobile, etc, not some small four corners that doesn't even have a Subway.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 pm If the category is Alabama cities, then I expect Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, Mobile, etc, not some small four corners that doesn't even have a Subway.
It was Alabama cities that begin with O. I doubt many people not from here could name any. That is why they gave you hints.

FWIW, two of them have a Subway.