Teen Tournament - The Revenge

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Teen Tournament - The Revenge

Post by morbeedo »

I missed the teen tournament the first time around- catching it now in reruns.

Ok, I know they're kids but wow- they have sooooo much energy, what drugs are they feeding them?! I guess that live audience has something to do with it? It's just insane when you compare it to regular Jeopardy!

Also notice the kids have a completely different buzzer technique. They're really only buzzing in once- and hard! trying to get in at just the right moment

I kind of love it but it's really bizarre to watch! Am I right?
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Teen Tournament - The Revenge

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

I totally agree. Back in '87, contestants like Kurt King and Eric Newhouse seemed calmer compared to today's Teen Jeopardy! contestants. Could be the times. Even on Blockbusters in the UK, the teens were calmer. (The conversations with Alex and the contestants reminded me of the conversations with Bob Holness and those contestants.)
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:38 pm I missed the teen tournament the first time around- catching it now in reruns.

Ok, I know they're kids but wow- they have sooooo much energy, what drugs are they feeding them?! I guess that live audience has something to do with it? It's just insane when you compare it to regular Jeopardy!

Also notice the kids have a completely different buzzer technique. They're really only buzzing in once- and hard! trying to get in at just the right moment

I had a conversation with a fellow scout leader years ago and he observed, "We'd probably have a lot of energy too if somebody did all of our cleaning, laundry, going to work, etc. for us."
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

BobF wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:10 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:38 pm I missed the teen tournament the first time around- catching it now in reruns.

I had a conversation with a fellow scout leader years ago and he observed, "We'd probably have a lot of energy too if somebody did all of our cleaning, laundry, going to work, etc. for us."
I blame high metabolism. That's how they eat all that pizza, too. :lol:
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

I'd guess that's related to video games - a lot of them (Guitar Hero for instance) require highly-precise timing, but if you miss the timing, you only make it worse by mashing the button.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

At least for me and most of the people in the Teen Tournament (if you haven't noticed by now 2014 Teen Champ here :) ), a lot of that had to do with us being nervous. Also, I just think we were so excited to be there and of course the buzzer technique will never be perfect :( However, not a lot of us had had a whole lot of experience, thus why it looks weird. (I somehow never did that...)
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Lumosityfan wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:42 am At least for me and most of the people in the Teen Tournament (if you haven't noticed by now 2014 Teen Champ here :) ), a lot of that had to do with us being nervous. Also, I just think we were so excited to be there and of course the buzzer technique will never be perfect :( However, not a lot of us had had a whole lot of experience, thus why it looks weird. (I somehow never did that...)
That's awesome! Congrats :P

I think the venue and audience must have something to do with the crazy energy level? The college kids don't even look half as excited to be there!

Sabrina was out of control on Tuesday - she was clearly there to have fun and win the Internet (if not the game)

Gonna keep watching the buzzer for the rest of the tournament. Maybe the teens have a better technique! But don't the contestant coordinators tell everybody to mash the button like crazy?

Anyway, it's definitely a change of pace and fun to watch
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:52 am Sabrina was out of control on Tuesday - she was clearly there to have fun and win the Internet (if not the game)
She was a stitch, that's for sure. Her FJ answer has to rate as one of the greatest of all-time.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

So much to love in this Teen Tournament! These kids are on fire!

Sabrina's "What are...THOSE?" FJ response went wayyy over my head. NHO that meme

But really, who IS Malalala? :P
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

J!6 is still going. I thought it would stop with the Summer hiatus.

Does anybody know if these are new or repeated J!6 questions? Were there J!6 questions when this teen tournament originally aired?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:05 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:52 am Sabrina was out of control on Tuesday - she was clearly there to have fun and win the Internet (if not the game)
She was a stitch, that's for sure. Her FJ answer has to rate as one of the greatest of all-time.
That's the one game I missed this week. What was the clue and what was her response? You've really got me curious.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Boy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:48 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:05 am
That's the one game I missed this week. What was the clue and what was her response? You've really got me curious.
https://thejeopardyfan.com/2017/08/fina ... -2017.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comme ... _air_date/

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5455
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

SO. MUCH. DRAMA in Thursday's rerun of the Nov. 14, 2016 Teen quarterfinal ! Lucia v. Antonio v. Connor is as good as it gets, people

I can't believe I've skipped the teen tournament all these years! I laughed, I cried... it was better than Cats!

I was rocking this game until I missed both DDs in the DJ round. Ponyboy?? I got nothing. Doh!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:49 pm SO. MUCH. DRAMA in Thursday's rerun of the Nov. 14, 2016 Teen quarterfinal ! Lucia v. Antonio v. Connor is as good as it gets, people

I can't believe I've skipped the teen tournament all these years! I laughed, I cried... it was better than Cats!

I was rocking this game until I missed both DDs in the DJ round. Ponyboy?? I got nothing. Doh!
That was a very good game; but as you've noted, it's a good group of teens. I wonder if Connor's voice has changed since then. ;)

I still didn't hear Lucia give Mozart in the form of a question - and Alex was a little snarky - but it does look like everyone is having fun.

Edited to add that The Outsiders was a pretty good get. I got it from remembering the movie but that was more than 30 years ago. I don't remember it as one of the books that was popular when I was in high school, but again, this seems like a well-read group.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

It's the SEMIFINALS!!! (again)

I'm OBSESSED with Lucia, who plays like a caged animal. In a Jeopardy! first (maybe?), she gave the same wrong response to two different clues in her quarterfinal AND semifinal games. Both times they were looking for Chicago, and both times she came up with Detroit. WHAT ARE THE ODDS??? Boy, oh boy, she got off to a ROUGH start in this first semi but fought back HARD in DJ to take the lead going into FJ... then blew it BIGLY, missing poor little Piggy

Who is Simon anyway?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 pm It's the SEMIFINALS!!! (again)

I'm OBSESSED with Lucia, who plays like a caged animal. In a Jeopardy! first (maybe?), she gave the same wrong response to two different clues in her quarterfinal AND semifinal games. Both times they were looking for Chicago, and both times she came up with Detroit. WHAT ARE THE ODDS??? Boy, oh boy, she got off to a ROUGH start in this first semi but fought back HARD in DJ to take the lead going into FJ... then blew it BIGLY, missing poor little Piggy

Who is Simon anyway?
From SparkNotes:

Simon - A shy, sensitive boy in the group. Simon, in some ways the only naturally “good” character on the island, behaves kindly toward the younger boys and is willing to work for the good of their community. Moreover, because his motivation is rooted in his deep feeling of connectedness to nature, Simon is the only character whose sense of morality does not seem to have been imposed by society. Simon represents a kind of natural goodness, as opposed to the unbridled evil of Jack and the imposed morality of civilization represented by Ralph and Piggy.

You are in the pool and hopeful for the call, right? The contestant coordinators have indicated they monitor this board. Just a heads up that some of the things you post might be taken in a way that could give the powers a touch of hesitation. Many times you have indicated a less than regular or faithful viewing of J!

Tonight you have shared "obsessed" in capital letters about a teen player. I'm not going to dig up the words from the post and I can't quite recall them, but in your story about your audition day there were some things that did not quite hit the right note either. I want your phone to ring and to see a good news post. Since the heads up could apply to others in the pool I'm posting this publicly instead of PM.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:28 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 pm It's the SEMIFINALS!!! (again)

Who is Simon anyway?
From SparkNotes:

Simon - A shy, sensitive boy in the group...

You are in the pool and hopeful for the call, right? The contestant coordinators have indicated they monitor this board. Just a heads up that some of the things you post might be taken in a way that could give the powers a touch of hesitation. Many times you have indicated a less than regular or faithful viewing of J!

Tonight you have shared "obsessed" in capital letters about a teen player. I'm not going to dig up the words from the post and I can't quite recall them, but in your story about your audition day there were some things that did not quite hit the right note either. I want your phone to ring and to see a good news post. Since the heads up could apply to others in the pool I'm posting this publicly instead of PM.
Wow, Mark, there's so much to unpack here! I think you're a little OBSESSED with me? :P

Yes, I was totally obsessed with "teen player" Lucia - until she lost - but definitely not obsessed in the creepy / pervy Humbert Humbert way that you're insinuating!!! :oops:

You're right! A quick glance at my profile will tell you that I'm "swimming in the Jeopardy! pool" and yeah, I'm hoping for the call! But now you've got me worried. If the casting people subject me to extreme vetting up to and including an audit of my 750 JBoard posts, then yeah, I'm probably screwed. Not to mention I did like Ken Jennings' controversial tweet about Barron Trump and the expired deli meat - that's gotta hurt my chances; though I suspect Maggie has a wicked sense of humor. And I bet the decision to cast me was made on the spot in that audition room. But who really knows?? Fingers crossed :P

But I really can't imagine what I said in my audition recap that triggered you. Please do go back and give me your feedback line by line (PM preferred). ALL SNARK ASIDE, I was merely trying to share a few observations on my audition - personal and subjective, of course, and people can take it or leave it. I don't know what you mean by the "right tone" - slavish and fawning? but I suspect TPTB are looking for fun people who love the game and don't take themselves too seriously. And of course, they want people who are not convicted felons!

I will say this: it did hurt my feelings when you accused me of being a less than faithful viewer of Jeopardy! It's true I don't get to watch every single episode. I live in NYC and I like to get out and do stuff. Plus, when I was living in Senegal, I missed 6 full months of Jeopardy! How sad is that?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OK, so Alex telling Antonio that being a lifeguard is a good way to meet girls was sooooo uncomfortable. Come on, Trebek! Don't go there!

And Connor, oh Connor. The boy and the buzzer - a tragedy. We are all Connor!

I'm really loving this tournament and some of the material is pretty challenging. It killed me as a teen that I couldn't apply for this because my dad worked for ABC (I assumed I was ineligible) - but now I wonder how well I would have done. Probably would've been a bloodbath
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:04 pm OK, so Alex telling Antonio that being a lifeguard is a good way to meet girls was sooooo uncomfortable. Come on, Trebek! Don't go there!

And Connor, oh Connor. The boy and the buzzer - a tragedy. We are all Connor!

I'm really loving this tournament and some of the material is pretty challenging. It killed me as a teen that I couldn't apply for this because my dad worked for ABC (I assumed I was ineligible) - but now I wonder how well I would have done. Probably would've been a bloodbath
I did the in-person search thing for the TT back in, I think, 1993. I must have sent in a postcard and been drawn at random, though I don't remember that part, and of course there were no online tests back then, and my mom and I had to travel to Omaha so I could take it. Then if you made the cut, there was something more akin to the regular audition later in the day. I...did not make the cut.