Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 2 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 2 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by rjaguar3 »

You know what's going on in this thread. Have at it.

Unmarked spoilers for Round 2 follow.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 2 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by KellyLasiter »

I feel really good today, woot! The only one that was a guess was Neruda, I thought it was a reasonable guess, and I looked it up afterwards and it's right. I feel less dumb than I did last week :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

KellyLasiter wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:51 am I feel really good today, woot! The only one that was a guess was Neruda, I thought it was a reasonable guess, and I looked it up afterwards and it's right. I feel less dumb than I did last week :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I was about 80% sure that it was Neruda (Garcia Llorca, my other thought, had more morose titles)
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Woof wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:53 am
KellyLasiter wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:51 am I feel really good today, woot! The only one that was a guess was Neruda, I thought it was a reasonable guess, and I looked it up afterwards and it's right. I feel less dumb than I did last week :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I was about 80% sure that it was Neruda (Garcia Llorca, my other thought, had more morose titles)
"Song of Despair? Naw, too cheerful for me." :lol:
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Not sure if this will qualify as correct for the 4-pointer on Day 1, but I thought of excuse as "leave" in "I need to excuse myself" and excuse as "inhospitable" in "What a poor excuse for a hotel."
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I saw "dump" a few times, and I don't think it works because it's pronounced the same in both cases, but I have to admit I liked it. :D Whether it's the literal trash dump or just "my apartment is a dump," it's certainly not a hospitable place!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

My only guess was the same question, but I guessed Cervantes. I saw "Spanish" and for some reason I only interpreted that as "Spain-Spanish".

I has teh dumb.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

I'm posting before entering (because I've got to be able to get the 2 heteronyms I'm missing now!), but I just want to give a shout-out to the correct answer for the 15-pointer. The collection is not for everyone, that's for sure. Very sensual, imagery-laden. But quite lovely, and the poems are very short. There was a fabulous play called Il Postino that I saw back in the 1980's about the poet's (very interesting) life. A movie was also made with the same name.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

sillymonkey wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:18 pm I'm posting before entering (because I've got to be able to get the 2 heteronyms I'm missing now!), but I just want to give a shout-out to the correct answer for the 15-pointer. The collection is not for everyone, that's for sure. Very sensual, imagery-laden. But quite lovely, and the poems are very short. There was a fabulous play called Il Postino that I saw back in the 1980's about the poet's (very interesting) life. A movie was also made with the same name.
I've always meant to read more Neruda. I had a friend on LiveJournal years ago who wrote stories that were inspired by quotes from his poetry, and the quotes were always gorgeous.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

KellyLasiter wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:17 pm I saw "dump" a few times, and I don't think it works because it's pronounced the same in both cases
<raises hand>

Thought on that one for quite a while and eventually came to dump. Realized that it is pronounced the same in both uses but once it got stuck in my brain it was there for good. I figured perhaps it was a bad clue.

I'm usually pretty good with wordplay and all things linguistic but even spotting me two definitions and parts of speech I still had a surprising amount of trouble with that category.
mujason

Post by mujason »

Would appropriate work for the first round's six pointer? With the -it sounding ending, it could mean within reason and with the -ate sounding ending, it could mean something relating to wielding power and thus presiding over something.
-Jason
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

The 8-pointer in heteronyms is confusingly phrased, I think: "As an adjective, to be false or unsound; as a noun, to be incapacitated". Although one meaning is an adjective and one is a noun, both definitions are verbs. With the adjective definition, people might guess that the "to be" is extraneous, but it's a bit harder with the noun definition - what noun means "to be incapacitated"? I think it was supposed to say "As an adjective, false or unsound; as a noun, one who is incapacitated". If that's it, I think the intended answer is
Spoiler
invalid
But just in case, a RQ might be in order.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mujason wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:01 pm Would appropriate work for the first round's six pointer? With the -it sounding ending, it could mean within reason and with the -ate sounding ending, it could mean something relating to wielding power and thus presiding over something.
I'd say this is a close but no cigar. Appropriate as a verb does not mean to preside over. It means either to take something or allocate money to something.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

They all seem so obvious NOW.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Heteronyms was an easy category. I had CLam & clAM, CLAM & clam...you get the point.

Took the plunge on 'Neruda' - glad it worked.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Those heteronyms really took some time to come up with, the sort of thing one has to let the mind chew on for a while. This is why "pick the word I'm thinking of" categories on the show are only moderately successful for me, though the J! writers usually give you a bit more to work with to pin it down.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

That last Calendar clue was tough. I know of Sontag, but was hung up on months, which of course the category does not say it has to be.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Magna wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 pm The 8-pointer in heteronyms is confusingly phrased, I think: "As an adjective, to be false or unsound; as a noun, to be incapacitated". Although one meaning is an adjective and one is a noun, both definitions are verbs. With the adjective definition, people might guess that the "to be" is extraneous, but it's a bit harder with the noun definition - what noun means "to be incapacitated"? I think it was supposed to say "As an adjective, false or unsound; as a noun, one who is incapacitated". If that's it, I think the intended answer is
Spoiler
invalid
But just in case, a RQ might be in order.
I'm pretty sure that you are correct as to the intended answer (it's the answer I gave), but I agree that the question is poorly worded, for exactly the reasons you give. I know that it took me a while to make the connection between "a noun" and the verb phrase "to be incapacitated."
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

You win some, you lose some. On day two, I ran "Inventions & Discoveries" while clamming on 4 of 5 in "Calendar Women". Ouch.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Foretopman wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:28 am You win some, you lose some. On day two, I ran "Inventions & Discoveries" while clamming on 4 of 5 in "Calendar Women". Ouch.
Yep. I think I swept yesterday, and then today I stank on wheels. :lol: