Monday, March 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6341, 2012-03-26

CONTESTANTS
Margie Cohen, a litigator from Houston, Texas
Mithun Kamath, a law student originally from New Orleans, Louisiana
Dennis Wright, a welder from Council Grove, Kansas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $25,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Jeopardy!--the show that has something for everyone. For the first time in 28 years of being on the air, we have a welder as our returning champion. Mithun and Margie are here representing the legal profession today, one a student, one a litigator. Let's see how well they do against our champ. Good luck. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round is where we start, and these are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ARCHITECTURAL TERMS (4/5)
BODY PARTS BY PREFIX (4/5)
WEDDING SONGS (5/5)
A "NON" CATEGORY (5/5)
IT'S 1985 (5/5)
LITTLE BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dennis: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Margie: 9 R, 2 W
Mithun: 6 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Margie: $3,400
Dennis: $2,200
Mithun: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Margie Cohen is the litigator from Houston, Texas, and I don't know where to start with all the information on this card. You once beat a lie detector test during a demonstration at law school?

Margie: Yes, that's right, and I walked into the classroom, we knew we were having a guest speaker, he had the setup, and he started telling very gruesome crime stories, staring straight at me, and I said, "This guy's up to something," and I had a--I had a feeling that I was gonna be the one hooked up to the machine, so I said, you know, "That's it, it's on, and I'm gonna take him down."

Alex: And you did.

Margie: And I did.

Alex: Good for you. I love it.

Alex: Mithun Kamath--originally from New Orleans--a law student--and one of his goals has nothing to do with law. It has to do with...

Mithun: Mini golf.

Alex: Miniature golf.

Mithun: Mini golf. Um, it's a life goal of mine, uh, to play putt-putt golf in all 50 states.

Alex: How many have you done so far?

Mithun: 11 down, so 39 to go.

Alex: 39 to go. All right. Good.

Mithun: Yep.

Alex: Dennis Wright is our champ. He's a welder, but he's got many talents, ladies and gentlemen. He can play the Jeopardy! "Think!" music--

Dennis: Yes.

Alex: --on his hands, so we're--we must get a demonstration.

Dennis: The record shows you asked for it.

[Dennis plays the first few bars of "Think!" by squeaking his hands together.]

[Laughter]

Dennis: And you probably know how the rest goes.

[Applause]

Alex: I will not go there. I will not go there. All right. You have command of the board. Use, uh, just one hand on your signaling device.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mithun found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Dennis had $3,800, Mithun had $2,800, and Margie was at $3,400. Mithun wagered $1,200.

LITTLE BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU $1000: This little brother was christened by the Archbishop of Canterbury in December 1984
(Alex: Prince William's younger brother.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ARCHITECTURAL TERMS $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an architectural animation on the monitor.) A properly constructed roof will include rafters that give the roof its shape, & these horizontal beams that provide structural support, from the old French for "to lie"

BODY PARTS BY PREFIX $1000: Chiro-
(Margie: [Without being acknowledged] What's back?)
(Dennis: What is bone?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dennis: $6,000
Mithun: $4,000
Margie: $3,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NONFICTION (3/5)
FAMOUS MENUS (3/5)
AMBASSADORS (2/5)
BHUTAN LINES (4/5)
MOVIES BASED ON SHAKESPEARE (1/3, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THERE'S A WORD FOR THAT (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Margie: 10 R, 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Dennis: 6 R, 1 W
Mithun: 0 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 10
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Margie snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Dennis had $9,200, Mithun had $4,000, and Margie was at $9,400. Margie wagered $1,000.

MOVIES BASED ON SHAKESPEARE $800: "Throne of Blood"
(Alex: Margie?)
(Margie: What is King Lear?)
(Alex: No. It was Akira Kurosawa's film based on [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Margie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Dennis had $9,200, Mithun had $4,000, and Margie was at $8,800. Margie wagered $2,000.

THERE'S A WORD FOR THAT $800: It's a device used in threshing grain as well as a verb meaning to I wave your arms wildly & uselessly
(Alex: Margie?)
(Margie: [No response])

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BHUTAN LINES $1600: The ngultrum, which is subdivided into chetrums, is the national this

NONFICTION $800: Piper Kerman chronicles her year in prison in this color "is the New Black"

NONFICTION $1600: She covered the aftermath of her husband's death in "The Year of Magical Thinking" & of her daughter's in "Blue Nights"

AMBASSADORS $400: In 2011 the U.S. envoy to Mexico quit over remarks in the diplomatic messages known by this old-fashioned name

THERE'S A WORD FOR THAT $1600: Something campaniform is shaped like this noise-making object

FAMOUS MENUS $1600: In 1906 this San Francisco hotel fed the birds--to the customers, that is; chicken & squab were on the menu

FAMOUS MENUS $2000: In 1945 this ex-heavyweight champ's NYC restaurant offered a $1.75 roast prime sirloin dinner
(Dennis: Who is Joe Louis?)
(Alex: We're talking about [*] in New York City, not Joe Louis in Detroit.)

MOVIES BASED ON SHAKESPEARE $1200: "Forbidden Planet"

AMBASSADORS $1200: Admiral Raymond Spruance won the 1944 battle of the sea named for this island country to which he was later ambassador

AMBASSADORS $1600: Duff Cooper mediated between Churchill & de Gaulle as Britain's representative to the free French in this N. African city

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Margie: $12,800
Dennis: $9,200
Mithun: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ISLANDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Margie: Wager $5,601 to cover Dennis.
Dennis: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,199 (martian), and you'll win the game if Margie wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Mithun: To win, you must get Final right and count on a wagering mistake on Dennis's part. Wager all $4,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At 22 square miles, it's the world's smallest island with a population exceeding 1 million, a figure it reached by 1880

FINAL SCORES
Mithun: $4,000 - $3,999 = $1 (What is Indonesia?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Dennis: $9,200 - $9,200 = $0 (What is Singapore) (3rd place: $1,000)
Margie: $12,800 - $6,601 = $6,199 (What is Hong Kong) (New champion: $6,199)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Margie: $15,800, 19 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Dennis: $9,200, 19 R, 2 W
Mithun: $3,800, 6 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $28,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Dennis: 19/58 = .328
Margie: 19/60 = .317
Mithun: 6/59 = .102
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WEDDING SONGS $400: "I see trees of green, red roses too" & couples slow-dancing to this Louis Armstrong tune
(Margie: What is "What's A Wonderful World"?)

WEDDING SONGS $800: Perfect for a dance with a parent is this show tune that begins, "Is this the little girl I carried"
(Alex: From Fiddler on the Roof.)

AMBASSADORS $800: Last name of the USA's current U.N. ambassador; it was also the last name of a Bush Secretary of State
(Alex: Susan [*].)

AMBASSADORS $2000: Anatoly Dobrynin held this job from 1962 to 1986, & knew how to get along with all kinds of people
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Prince Harry
joists
the hand
Macbeth
a flail
currency
Orange
Joan Didion
embassy cables
a bell
the St. Francis Hotel
Jack Dempsey
The Tempest
the Philippines
Algiers
Manhattan
"What A Wonderful World"
"Sunrise, Sunset"
Rice
Russian Ambassador to the United States
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Islands
At 22 square miles, it's the world's smallest island with a population exceeding 1 million, a figure it reached by 1880.
Spoiler
What is Manhattan? Mithun said Indonesia; Dennis said Singapore; Margie said Hong Kong.
Margie Cohen: $12,800-$6,601=$6,199..now a 1-day champion with $6,199
Dennis Wright: $9,200-$9,200=$0
Mithun Kamath: $4,000-$3,999=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Congrats to Margie on the win. Dennis played an excellent game on Friday but faltered a bit today, then made an ill-advised bet in FJ that cost him the game. Ideally, he should not have bet more than 1200 so as to lock out Mitha.

The board was just brutal in the FJ round. I don't blame the players because I was drawing blanks myself.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Menu for $800: And how would I know it'd be beer in big red letters, and not wine or something else?

Agreed with DJ! being tough. I knew Ambassadors would be tough when $400 was "embassy cables". Bhutan also seemed daunting, but I at least got $800 right.

End of DJ! seemed really rushed too. No LTAM, but the beeps sound anyway, and it sounded like Alex's introduction of the FJ! category was mega-edited.

No guess on FJ! Seemed way too open.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I precalled Manhattan as a joke, then started laughing even harder after the clue was revealed...right up until I saw Dennis' wager. UGH. I know it's unfair to expect them all to know advanced wagering strategy, or to make perfect wagers every day, but come on!

I was expecting Dennis to clap, or snap his fingers. That was...different :lol:
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

The DJ round today fizzled in much the same way as the DJ round in last Thursday's game. It didn't make for good entertainment.

Not a good FJ wager by Dennis. It cost him the game.

My WAG for FJ was Hawaii. At least I was in the right country.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Had Singapore in a coin flip over Hong Kong.

Beer seemed more logical for England, had it been France, then wine would have been my guess.

A lot of stand and stares in DJ, that ate up a lot of time. I wish they had finished the Shakespeare movie, the first three were pretty simple.

I'm a life long Methodist and never heard that story of the Wesley brothers having a spat over a woman.

What was the Manhatten clue during regular play?

Yes, terrible FJ bet.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Manhattan was virtually an instaget. It popped into my head within seconds, I reviewed the criteria, and it was so obvious!

It also helps that I work there and spend most of my waking hours there.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

On FJ, thought Cuba, came up with Hong Kong but somehow wasn't sure it's the name of the actual island and then had a doh moment for Manhattan. Didn't think DJ was all that hard.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

thenextofken wrote:The board was just brutal in the FJ round. I don't blame the players because I was drawing blanks myself.
Ditto (referring to Double J!), although I did recover to get Final right away. Being a native of NYC helped.
xxaaaxx wrote:I precalled Manhattan as a joke
I precalled Ma... Madagascar.
Bamaman wrote: What was the Manhattan clue during regular play?
I'm guessing Trebek referred to the Joe Louis Jack Dempsey clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm thinking people who are from NYC are going to do much better on this FJ than the rest of us.

I got Jack Dempsey, knew he owned a restaurant.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I agree, DJ was brutal, except I thought that The God Delusion was overvalued at $2000. Most of the clues were well-written but there seemed to be a lot of very hard and just random things that came up as correct responses.

I had no idea where to go on FJ and guessed Cuba. The clue seemed a little too on the trivial side on the surface but looking back it should have been obvious.

Margie and Dennis had some good gets. They did as well with the material as I think pretty much anyone could have.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I started in Asia, though the year was too early and the size too small and went to Europe. Size made sense but the population didn't. Then I went "duh, it's not a country or they would have said so" and came running to NYC just in time.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, that was a head-scratcher of a triple stumper for FJ. I guess it was just too obvious. And yes, the Jack Dempsey clue was the previous citation.

It didn't do Margie any good, but when was the last time both DD's were in the 800 slots? That was pretty unusual in and of itself.
alamble

Post by alamble »

I wish we'd gotten to the last two clues in Movies Based on Shakespeare. Forbidden Planet and Throne of Blood seemed rather obscure (especially considering Forbidden Planet's relationship to the actual story of The Tempest is pretty tenuous if memory serves) I wonder what else was on the list.

Got Manhattan in about 10 seconds. Kinda surprised it was a TS, though I suppose if you've not visited New York, maybe it's easy to forget that Manhattan's a big ol' island?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote:Yeah, that was a head-scratcher of a triple stumper for FJ. I guess it was just too obvious.
I thought just the opposite.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

alamble wrote:I wish we'd gotten to the last two clues in Movies Based on Shakespeare.
I was precalling 10 Things I hate about You=The Taming of the Shrew.
Brandon
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Brandon »

I noticed that they accepted his answer that Dobrynin was the RUSSIAN ambassador to the U.S., not the SOVIET ambassador, which is what his title really was. Does Jeopardy! normally allow "Russian" and "Soviet" to be used interchangeably? Confusing the two in everyday speech has always been kind of a pet peeve of mine :P
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

alamble wrote:I wish we'd gotten to the last two clues in Movies Based on Shakespeare. Forbidden Planet and Throne of Blood seemed rather obscure (especially considering Forbidden Planet's relationship to the actual story of The Tempest is pretty tenuous if memory serves) I wonder what else was on the list.
Plenty of research material here.

I precalled Prospero's Books for The Tempest, and realized too late that Ran was Kurosawa's King Lear, not Throne of Blood.