Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 2 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 2 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by The Talking Mime »

Finally all those Frasier reruns have paid off. I think I finally got my first perfect 75 point day.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:45 am Having read through the answers, I'm kinda surprised how hard the 6-pointer is playing on D3.
I'm not. That finale aired over 34 years ago, before many of the SHC players were even born. And some of us who were alive at the time just never watched it (I was just shy of my 13th birthday when the finale aired). I think that clue was probably undervalued. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:21 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:45 am Having read through the answers, I'm kinda surprised how hard the 6-pointer is playing on D3.
I'm not. That finale aired over 34 years ago, before many of the SHC players were even born. And some of us who were alive at the time just never watched it (I was just shy of my 13th birthday when the finale aired). I think that clue was probably undervalued. :)
Agreed, and I was college age when it aired. This is a case where a reasonable guess would come up with the right response, but that seems a bit specific for a 6 pointer on something that aired 34 years ago.

And I'm wondering if points will be awarded for those who put "Barbara" Streisand instead of Barbra. :geek: It's a pretty famous unique spelling and if it was on the show, I think this would be one where adding an extra syllable would make it incorrect. (That said, I think the more generous rule applying here should come into play).
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:42 pm
Agreed, and I was college age when it aired. This is a case where a reasonable guess would come up with the right response, but that seems a bit specific for a 6 pointer on something that aired 34 years ago.
I must confess to knowing it mainly because I've seen stills of that moment occasionally over the years, and not from watching the show itself!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I got cocky after a perfect Tuesday.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:42 pm And I'm wondering if points will be awarded for those who put "Barbara" Streisand instead of Barbra. :geek: It's a pretty famous unique spelling and if it was on the show, I think this would be one where adding an extra syllable would make it incorrect. (That said, I think the more generous rule applying here should come into play).
The guiding principle of SHC is they "want you to have the points". A misspelling, even one that would have resulted in a mispronunciation, is not going to count against you. You just have to show you knew the answer.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:01 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:42 pm And I'm wondering if points will be awarded for those who put "Barbara" Streisand instead of Barbra. :geek: It's a pretty famous unique spelling and if it was on the show, I think this would be one where adding an extra syllable would make it incorrect. (That said, I think the more generous rule applying here should come into play).
The guiding principle of SHC is they "want you to have the points". A misspelling, even one that would have resulted in a mispronunciation, is not going to count against you. You just have to show you knew the answer.
Also, I think many people pronounce the more conventional spelling of "Barbara" with just 2 syllables. I know I do.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

KellyLasiter wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:48 pm
I must confess to knowing it mainly because I've seen stills of that moment occasionally over the years, and not from watching the show itself!
I'm not saying there aren't other ways to have picked up the requisite knowledge for that clue. There are often multiple paths to acquiring particular nuggets of trivia knowledge. I've never come across those stills, though (or if I have, they have since faded from my memory). I also don't think the appearance of that single word in that episode has stuck in the collective consciousness to the extent of the "It was all a dream" revelation in the finale of Newhart.
kettledrum
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kettledrum »

Are there statistics available anywhere on the percent correct for the field on specific questions?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

alietr wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:01 pm
Yep, no argument from me. I also thought they should have given it to the kid for Emanciptation.
mujason

Post by mujason »

As the author of the "B.S." category, I'm fine with Barbara for Barbra.

Also, in the opening of "Spy Hard," there's a parody of the "MASH" finale, as Andy Griffith's villainous character is on a helicopter and sees "Adios" spelled out on the ground by Leslie Nielsen's character, who proceeds to blow up the helicopter.
-Jason
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:32 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:48 pm
I'm not saying there aren't other ways to have picked up the requisite knowledge for that clue. There are often multiple paths to acquiring particular nuggets of trivia knowledge. I've never come across those stills, though (or if I have, they have since faded from my memory). I also don't think the appearance of that single word in that episode has stuck in the collective consciousness to the extent of the "It was all a dream" revelation in the finale of Newhart.
I would posit that the clue was meant to be as solvable by deduction as it was by prior knowledge.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Here we are at day 4 of round 2, and by my calculations I have already surpassed my weekly total for week 1. It's not that I'm doing particularly well this week; it's that I did particularly poorly last week.
Teems with quiet fun.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

immaf wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 am Here we are at day 4 of round 2, and by my calculations I have already surpassed my weekly total for week 1. It's not that I'm doing particularly well this week; it's that I did particularly poorly last week.
Yeah, it took me a little while to settle into a "how sure do I want to be before I guess instead of clam?" policy. I don't need 100% certainty, but I'm definitely clamming more than last week, and benefiting from it.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Man, El Escorial came out of nowhere for me!
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Wpwells wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 am Man, El Escorial came out of nowhere for me!
It rings a bell now that I'm reading it, but it was NOT anywhere to be found in my head while I was answering! :lol:
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:22 am
Wpwells wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 am Man, El Escorial came out of nowhere for me!
It rings a bell now that I'm reading it, but it was NOT anywhere to be found in my head while I was answering! :lol:
It was one of those things where I see it and at first glance I had no idea. Then after looking at it from a minute, that just popped in and I knew it was right!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The word "senescence" doesn't ring a bell to me. I'm hoping "senility" gets some love. Here's one of the definitions of senile per M-W:
being a cell that cannot undergo mitosis and is in the stage of declining functional capacities prior to the time of death senile red blood cells
Seem awfully close and certainly within the realm of "I want to give you points."
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:13 am The word "senescence" doesn't ring a bell to me. I'm hoping "senility" gets some love. Here's one of the definitions of senile per M-W:
being a cell that cannot undergo mitosis and is in the stage of declining functional capacities prior to the time of death senile red blood cells
Seem awfully close and certainly within the realm of "I want to give you points."
I think I mostly thought of senescence because it popped into my head while failing to come up with "apoptosis" last week. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:13 am The word "senescence" doesn't ring a bell to me. I'm hoping "senility" gets some love. Here's one of the definitions of senile per M-W:
That definition seems a bit non-standard to me. Whereas I am very familiar with the use of senescence in this context, I can't say that I've ever used senility used in any sense but the one of cognitive decline. It may just mean that I've led a sheltered existence, but there you go...

On another front, though I am typically loath to criticize point valuation, it certainly seems to me that El Escorial is a much more difficult get than the Alaric-Visigoth Pavlovian response.