Eclipse Poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What are you doing about the eclipse on August 21?

I am going to observe it somewhere in the path of totality
29%
I am going to observe it, but won't be in the path of totality
47%
Nothing
24%

Total votes: 111

alietr
Site Admin

Eclipse Poll

Post by alietr »

What, if anything, are you doing about the total eclipse on August 21st?

I will be heading to Wyoming to see totality. Saw it once before, and it is spectacular.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Eclipse Poll

Post by KellyLasiter »

I'm close to the path of totality, but not quite in it. I have to work, but I figure on slipping out for a bit when the time comes, and see what there is to see. There will apparently be eclipse glasses being handed out here too.
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

My son lives in the path of totality. I'm going to watch from his back yard.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:30 pm I'm close to the path of totality, but not quite in it. I have to work, but I figure on slipping out for a bit when the time comes, and see what there is to see. There will apparently be eclipse glasses being handed out here too.
I'm in a similar situation. I'm in Memphis which is supposed to get 97%, so I'll just settle for that.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Wpwells wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:40 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:30 pm I'm close to the path of totality, but not quite in it. I have to work, but I figure on slipping out for a bit when the time comes, and see what there is to see. There will apparently be eclipse glasses being handed out here too.
I'm in a similar situation. I'm in Memphis which is supposed to get 97%, so I'll just settle for that.
No, no, no! There is a total (excuse the pun) difference between 97% and 100%. You really should make the effort. I guarantee you will thank me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm just southwest of the path of totality through Kansas City. I'll probably make the 12 mile drive, but I'm a little worried about traffic and parking. Knowing me, I'll try for an out of the way spot and end up picking the sheep.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I've seen the sun, I've seen the moon. I'm good.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

It'll be visible as a partial eclipse here in NYC. Weather permitting, I'll try to see it.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:54 pm I've seen the sun, I've seen the moon. I'm good.
+1
BobF

Post by BobF »

I thought this post was going to be along the same lines as this one:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1588720 ... 457786118/

Which came about after some lady posted that she wished the museum would reschedule the eclipse because it occurs on the first day of school in the Dallas area. I believe she was serious because she later removed her post.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:14 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:54 pm I've seen the sun, I've seen the moon. I'm good.
+1
Are you guys kidding? I can't even begin to understand this.

I'll be in Oregon. My accommodations are just outside totality, but I intend to drive into the area of totality. Exactly where, I don't know, but I figure any place with a clear view of the sun is as good as the next. Hopefully I won't be stuck in a traffic jam somewhere...
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Bought my solar-safe binoculars and a bunch of solar glasses. We should have 70% here. The summer student working for me is planning to drive down to Nashville-area to see it... that is a significant drive and I hope he doesn't get stuck in traffic with all the people flocking to the path.

I was at a conference with someone from the physics department at Clemson university in South Carolina. He organized to get solar glasses for every(?) school age kid in the state. I hope it isn't cloudy.

7 years from now we'll be in the path of totality here: https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024/
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

BobF wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:21 pm Which came about after some lady posted that she wished the museum would reschedule the eclipse because it occurs on the first day of school in the Dallas area. I believe she was serious because she later removed her post.
In the Dallas-area district I work in, it's the week before school starts. Which means I'll likely be stuck in a meeting. Which means I will be stepping out of said meeting to see 74% of the eclipse.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I won't be going to Hopkinsville (which is Eclipse City USA for this one) but I will be in the area. A friend and I will be going down the night before.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

My semester starts the day after the eclipse, so I'm going to pick up some safety glasses from my local library and enjoy the ~70% eclipse here in upstate NY. :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:14 pm
+1
Are you guys kidding? I can't even begin to understand this.

I'll be in Oregon. My accommodations are just outside totality, but I intend to drive into the area of totality. Exactly where, I don't know, but I figure any place with a clear view of the sun is as good as the next. Hopefully I won't be stuck in a traffic jam somewhere...
No more than I can understand travelling hundreds, if not thousands, of miles to watch it get a bit darker, so we're even. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I will probably be in Atlanta that day and it will be around 97%. Not something I'd drive out of my way to watch, however.

I can't believe they are delaying the start of LL for this.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Going back to Illinois to see the totality. The center line will pass within a mile of the church I used to preach for, so we're planning to watch from my old office.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Looks like LA is getting a 70% partial. More than I thought. That'll be worth stepping out for a few minutes.

Time to order some glasses...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Looks like it'll be around 70% here in Winnipeg? (Hard to tell as most of the sites I've seen showing what one will see are just for the continental US. However, the closest US town to me, about 70 miles south of here, seems to get a somewhat decent show so I won't be too concerned that we can't afford to travel down there yet. (Partly because finances, partly because around those days I'll be hearing back from a couple of very promising jobs that I recently interviewed for so I don't want to miss that.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012