Eclipse Poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What are you doing about the eclipse on August 21?

I am going to observe it somewhere in the path of totality
29%
I am going to observe it, but won't be in the path of totality
47%
Nothing
24%

Total votes: 111

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Eclipse Poll

Post by Golf »

Have friends and family in mid-Missouri, plan on venturing out in the middle of nowhere there for totality and to hear the animals protest. Been planning this for quite a few years now.

But those of us in the DFW area just have to wait until 2024 to see totality without leaving home!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

wtf are you talking about? The Eclipse Awards are in January. :)
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

We're having a family reunion/vacation/eclipse viewing (in the path of totality) in Charleston, SC. I started planning nearly two years ago. We're renting a huge house right on the beach for the week. It's going to be awesome!

That is, *if* I survive until then. This is an absolutely horrible time for me to be taking off from work. I am trying to get all the stuff that needs to get done finished before I go, but it's not looking good. I am hugely stressed.
Teems with quiet fun.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

Thought about it, but it's about an eight-hour drive without significant traffic and since our closest path takes us straight toward Eclipseville, I'm worried about the highways becoming jammed. Estimates of 5 million traveling to totality seem low given what people are saying. Not that our highways could handle 5 million.

What clinches it is that we are planning on moving as soon as we can sell this damned house and the area we're moving to is in the totality path for 2024. I'm sure this will be a memorable experience for those who go and find clear skies and don't get gridlocked, but I'm going to have to pass.
The Word Picture
Contributor

Post by The Word Picture »

Last time we got something close in my neck of the woods, it rained, a soaling downpour and ues it got almost sunset or its gonna pour dark for a couple of hours.
May 30 1984. Nyc.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Partial here.. thought of going somewhere to see totality. Was thinking of Charleston but dropped it. For all who are driving, I hope you checked the article at fivethirtyeight.. apparently it might not be pretty with all the traffic.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm absolutely astonished that some people don't care about this. In the general populous sure, but I wouldn't have expected that here. There hasn't been a total solar eclipse over the U.S. mainland since 1979!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I was invited to a good friend's total eclipse viewing party in Kentucky, but can't go due to my continued unemployment and financial problems. I'll have to satisfy myself with the partiality here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, I was reading this article here:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... ectricity/

which states at one part, "Experts don’t expect the country to have eclipse-related blackouts. But for the first time, they’re paying attention to and planning for the impact of an eclipse on the electric grid."

What possible impact could a 150-second eclipse have that an overcast day doesn't have to a far greater effect?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I live about 10 miles out of the totality zone, so a friend and I decided to drive into the zone. We haven't decided yet whether to drive north or east.

It will be the first day of classes at the school from which I just retired. The eclipse should be visible here from 11:47 AM to 2:42 PM with up to 99.9% obscuration around 1:16; there has already been an announcement that classes will not be cancelled, but there will be a watch party and offices are encouraged to permit staff to take late lunches/personal time.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

econgator wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:16 pm So, I was reading this article here:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... ectricity/

which states at one part, "Experts don’t expect the country to have eclipse-related blackouts. But for the first time, they’re paying attention to and planning for the impact of an eclipse on the electric grid."

What possible impact could a 150-second eclipse have that an overcast day doesn't have to a far greater effect?
Apparently it gets dark for an hour or two and not just 150 seconds. Solar farms are usually placed in areas that don't get severe overcast days and an eclipse can affect them more than the normal cloud coverage. It doesn't seem like a big deal either way but the eclipse will have an impact on the solar energy during peak hours. They might also be looking at the grid on a local level and not a regional level. It's conceivable that there are some small towns close to a solar farm substation that get a big chunk of their reliable electricity from solar and it makes sense to check they wouldn't have a blackout.

I'm not excited about the eclipse. I'm not near the path of totality and not interested in traveling far. I might look up if I'm not doing anything else.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

I've already scheduled myself a "meeting" for the better part of the 21st so I can escape the office and sit outside during the eclipse. We are supposed to have 93% obscurity here in southeastern Indiana. I considered taking the day off and driving ~3 hours for total obscurity, but weather can change on a dime here and I would hate to waste vacation days and 6 hours of driving if it was cloudy.

That being said, this will be my first solar eclipse and I could not be more excited. I'm already counting down to 2024 when the 100% obscurity path goes right through my current home and workplace (not sure if I'll still be here, but I'll at least have friends and family here).
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Sadly, it's not coming anywhere close to me, and I can't make the trip right now
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
BobF

Post by BobF »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:09 pm I will probably be in Atlanta that day and it will be around 97%. Not something I'd drive out of my way to watch, however.

I can't believe they are delaying the start of LL for this.
I'm an occasional softball player for the Goddard Space Flight Center league and they're cancelling all games on that Monday even though the eclipse will be long over by the time the games were scheduled to start (5:30).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Not coming anywhere close to me, and while my dad and sister are going, I just came off another trip and I have to pack for college. Plus, plane tickets are expensive.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

nightreign wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:11 am Not coming anywhere close to me, and while my dad and sister are going, I just came off another trip and I have to pack for college. Plus, plane tickets are expensive.
While the totality is only a narrow band, practically everywhere in the contiguous 48 is going to get at least a 60% partial
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/defa ... se_map.jpg
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Even though I'm currently based in NYC, I have my Jeopardy audition in Chicago on the 16th, and then I'm taking a bus down to Nashville on the 18th to sleep on my friend's couch so I can watch totality on the 21st. I feel lucky that NYC schools don't start until September so I have all this free time to kill.

I'm with Kirk - surprised that people aren't more excited about it. I'm so jazzed up I even made a music video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOJXggAqHyI
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:18 pm I'm absolutely astonished that some people don't care about this. In the general populous sure, but I wouldn't have expected that here. There hasn't been a total solar eclipse over the U.S. mainland since 1979!
Shocked as well - people don't understand that a 80% partial eclipse just looks like a cloudy day, while totality is day turning into night. I've never been in totality, but I've literally been waiting years for this.

I'm driving 900 miles each way (southern California to southern Oregon) and taking a week off work to see it. None of my friends, even with two years notice, wanted to do it, and I'm still surprised (and still trying to get them to come along).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mikebdoss wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:52 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:18 pm I'm absolutely astonished that some people don't care about this. In the general populous sure, but I wouldn't have expected that here. There hasn't been a total solar eclipse over the U.S. mainland since 1979!
Shocked as well - people don't understand that a 80% partial eclipse just looks like a cloudy day, while totality is day turning into night. I've never been in totality, but I've literally been waiting years for this.

I'm driving 900 miles each way (southern California to southern Oregon) and taking a week off work to see it. None of my friends, even with two years notice, wanted to do it, and I'm still surprised (and still trying to get them to come along).
Except clouds don't make the sun do this
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I haven't planned for this but I really want to go somewhere! I'll see if I can tag along with anyone else traveling from NYC