Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 2 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 2 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:33 am I saw "streaming service" and never got away from thinking of video streaming services. "Netflix doesn't have a P, Crackle belongs to Sony, and Hulu belongs to NBCUniversal [actually it's a joint venture owned in equal parts by them, Fox, and Disney/ABC (and a smaller part by Turner)], so what the heck is left!? Clam."
*nod* That's one I would have left blank, too.
mujason
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mujason »

I hope answering "USX (aka US Steel)" is okay on the ten-pointer.
-Jason
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I thought of video streaming services and did come up with one that begins with P (Periscope). I didn't realize that it's owned by Twitter. I would have done better to not come up with it and stay clam.
I thought of audio streaming, thinking of stuff like SoundCloud... wait, no P... Um... Pandora. Is that anywhere close to big enough to have a stock symbol? What the heck, guessed that and kissed my points goodbye... I'll be amazed if that's correct.

Never would have thought of Periscope in a million years, even if I had thought video first.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:48 pm
I thought of video streaming services and did come up with one that begins with P (Periscope). I didn't realize that it's owned by Twitter. I would have done better to not come up with it and stay clam.
I thought of audio streaming, thinking of stuff like SoundCloud... wait, no P... Um... Pandora. Is that anywhere close to big enough to have a stock symbol? What the heck, guessed that and kissed my points goodbye... I'll be amazed if that's correct.

Never would have thought of Periscope in a million years, even if I had thought video first.
Yep, it's Pandora! I'm most surprised that no one snapped up the single letter P long before Pandora was founded. Did it previously belong to another company that went under, maybe? Zillow's a new company, too, but Z is a less common letter in general.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:50 pm

Yep, it's Pandora! I'm most surprised that no one snapped up the single letter P long before Pandora was founded. Did it previously belong to another company that went under, maybe? Zillow's a new company, too, but Z is a less common letter in general.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticker_sy ... er_symbols
P was originally Phillips which later became ConocoPhillips (COP) which later became Phillips 66
Woolworth originally had Z apparently.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Volante wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:58 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:50 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticker_sy ... er_symbols
P was originally Phillips which later became ConocoPhillips (COP) which later became Phillips 66
Woolworth originally had Z apparently.
Cool! Thanks for the info! :)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:00 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:56 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:52 am Four Corners seems awfully difficult for the three-pointer in the "Highways" category.
It's the sports angle that eases the difficulty level.
Yes, obviously, but that still seems awfully obscure for a "top row" clue. I actually watch college basketball sometimes and hadn't heard of that.

I went with The Grand Canyon because it's clearly the most well-known monument in the Southwest.
Have season tickets to our local university's basketball program, but am otherwise not well versed in the game. I figured there was no monument related to "triangle." I theorized that a "Grand Canyon" offense could be one that was deep and broad. Oh, well. The Grand Canyon is a natural wonder. The Four Corners is simply an artificial construct of cartography. I've been to both, but if I could only visit one, it wouldn't be the Four Corners.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:11 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:00 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:56 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:52 am Four Corners seems awfully difficult for the three-pointer in the "Highways" category.
It's the sports angle that eases the difficulty level.
Yes, obviously, but that still seems awfully obscure for a "top row" clue. I actually watch college basketball sometimes and hadn't heard of that.

I went with The Grand Canyon because it's clearly the most well-known monument in the Southwest.
Have season tickets to our local university's basketball program, but am otherwise not well versed in the game. I figured there was no monument related to "triangle." I theorized that a "Grand Canyon" offense could be one that was deep and broad. Oh, well. The Grand Canyon is a natural wonder. The Four Corners is simply an artificial construct of cartography. I've been to both, but if I could only visit one, it wouldn't be the Four Corners.
You raise a good point. The question mentions a monument (uncapitalized) but many might read that as asking for a National Monument. There is a physical monument at the Four Corners site, but that's all the status that it has. Fortunately, I don't think that there are any National Monuments very close to Four Corners (Monument Valley is on Navajo land) but I may be wrong.

ETA: I am wrong. Canyon of the Ancients National Monument isn't very far away. Live and Learn....
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

That highways category ate my lunch! :O
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

But US Steel doesn't have an X in it I said to myself..
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Alternately, every fiber of my body told me X was the symbol for US Steel and then every fiber of my body told me that US Steel has USS as a symbol. Clammed.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

ugh, I thought Paypal would've snapped up the P.
That highways category was way too difficult for a supposed geography.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Wow.. that highway category was tough. Southwest monument at 3 spot is not the obvious ones like grand canyon? Banking on Dean Smith didn't work either.
Picking a city from the list for route 66 is another toughie...I vaguely know the route and endpoints, but still can't figure out.
Another usx here and I'm counting it.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
doihavetoreally

Day 6:
I put 220 for geostationary orbit.. checked it and surprised to find that the correct answer is really big. Didn't expect that... and looking at other responses, looks like there is a variation.
I clammed on bon Jovi as I thought the question was asking for another group that had "shot through the heart" hit.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I apparently need to read more about satellites. And now I have a massive Bon Jovi earworm.
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

doihavetoreally wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:50 am Day 6:
I put 220 for geostationary orbit.. checked it and surprised to find that the correct answer is really big. Didn't expect that... and looking at other responses, looks like there is a variation.
I clammed on bon Jovi as I thought the question was asking for another group that had "shot through the heart" hit.
Yeah. I remember working a trigonometry problem with one of my math classes about satellites; that's how I knew 22,000 was in the correct range. (Yay for math class! :))
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

I've never had an Almond Joy or a Mounds, but, man, that ad jingle ("Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't. Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't.") has stayed with me over the years.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
doihavetoreally

KellyLasiter wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:02 am I apparently need to read more about satellites. And now I have a massive Bon Jovi earworm.
Ditto and I didn't even submit the bon Jovi answer.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

doihavetoreally wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:00 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:02 am I apparently need to read more about satellites. And now I have a massive Bon Jovi earworm.
Ditto and I didn't even submit the bon Jovi answer.
Lucky me, no earworm. I would probably recognize a song, probably even hum along, without realizing it was Bon Jovi. Post-1980 pop music is one of my major weak points -- I recognize many songs, but couldn't tell you the title or the artist for a lot of them.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

nlw44 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:00 am I've never had an Almond Joy or a Mounds
How is this possible?