2017 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: 2017 Current Events Study Guide

Post by hbomb1947 »

boson wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:58 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:24 pm Queen Elizabeth II announced that Prince Charles, who is first in the line of succession, will be passed over and William and Kate will be the next King and Queen of England.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/royal-a ... soc_trk=fb
Do you have an official source? I wasn't able to find anything other than these dubious sites. BBC, CBC, etc. have nothing on this.
On the other hand, this site appears to have debunked the story:

https://www.gossipcop.com/prince-willia ... england/#0
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:03 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:24 pm Queen Elizabeth II announced that Prince Charles, who is first in the line of succession, will be passed over and William and Kate will be the next King and Queen of England.

Do you have an official source? I wasn't able to find anything other than these dubious sites. BBC, CBC, etc. have nothing on this.

Fake news!! <ducking and running for cover>
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

As far as I know, the Queen has no say in it. Charles is the only one who can choose to step aside.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:00 pm As far as I know, the Queen has no say in it. Charles is the only one who can choose to step aside.
Well, there's also the possibility of armed revolutionaries taking over the country, putting Charles on trial for treason, and executing him. History tells us that English Charleses have a 50% chance of having this happen. So he probably shouldn't get too cocky.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:00 pm

As far as I know, the Queen has no say in it. Charles is the only one who can choose to step aside.
Actually, English Parliament* has the say in it. (I think that's due to the Magna Carta, but I may be wrong).

* The other Commonwealth Realm parliaments also choose their own monarch as well. So, there could be the case of Australia and the Bahamas declaring Charles the King and Canada and New Zealand declaring that William is.

Regardless, I think the best indication that this is fake is that hbomb's original link from Yahoo seems to be down (I can't access it, even if I delete everything after "html" in the link)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:13 pm Actually, English Parliament* has the say in it. (I think that's due to the Magna Carta, but I may be wrong).

* The other Commonwealth Realm parliaments also choose their own monarch as well. So, there could be the case of Australia and the Bahamas declaring Charles the King and Canada and New Zealand declaring that William is.

Regardless, I think the best indication that this is fake is that hbomb's original link from Yahoo seems to be down (I can't access it, even if I delete everything after "html" in the link)
Yeah, I was reading up on that. It's called Parliamentary Supremacy (basically, Parliament can make what ever law it wishes to).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

As has (the somewhat more reliable than gossipcop.com) Snopes (see the second half of the article)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:13 pm
Actually, English Parliament* has the say in it. (I think that's due to the Magna Carta, but I may be wrong).

On a semi-related note, I recently watched the play Charles III, which delved into the question of what would happen if a monarch refused to give royal assent to an act of Parliament. (Answer: a constitutional crisis, exacerbated by Charles's stubbornness--you'd think he would learned something from the first King Charles.) I won't add any more spoilers, though you can probably guess what happens in the end.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:16 am
dhkendall wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:13 pm

On a semi-related note, I recently watched the play Charles III, which delved into the question of what would happen if a monarch refused to give royal assent to an act of Parliament. (Answer: a constitutional crisis, exacerbated by Charles's stubbornness--you'd think he would learned something from the first King Charles.) I won't add any more spoilers, though you can probably guess what happens in the end.
Not sure if this is about the current Prince Charles when he becomes King or not, but there's another interesting side note, Prince Charles may not become King Charles III. Charles has a right to choose a regnal name from any of his given names (which I believe are Charles Phillip Arthur George) and, given the history of other King Charleses, he has gone on record of saying he hasn't ruled out another name (possibly George VII). It's not without precedent, even in relatively recent history as Victoria (Alexandrina Victoria), Edward VII (Albert Edward), and Charles' grandfather George VI (Albert Edward Arthur George) have all done it.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:28 pm Not sure if this is about the current Prince Charles when he becomes King or not, but there's another interesting side note, Prince Charles may not become King Charles III. Charles has a right to choose a regnal name from any of his given names (which I believe are Charles Phillip Arthur George) and, given the history of other King Charleses, he has gone on record of saying he hasn't ruled out another name (possibly George VII). It's not without precedent, even in relatively recent history as Victoria (Alexandrina Victoria), Edward VII (Albert Edward), and Charles' grandfather George VI (Albert Edward Arthur George) have all done it.
I'm rooting for Arthur II, but it probably won't happen.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:48 pm
dhkendall wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:28 pm Not sure if this is about the current Prince Charles when he becomes King or not, but there's another interesting side note, Prince Charles may not become King Charles III. Charles has a right to choose a regnal name from any of his given names (which I believe are Charles Phillip Arthur George) and, given the history of other King Charleses, he has gone on record of saying he hasn't ruled out another name (possibly George VII). It's not without precedent, even in relatively recent history as Victoria (Alexandrina Victoria), Edward VII (Albert Edward), and Charles' grandfather George VI (Albert Edward Arthur George) have all done it.
It's on the rocks.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Moving on...

Jeffrey Loria, possible future Ambassador to France, has agreed to sell the Miami Marlins to a consortium headed by Derek "Jeets" "Gift Basket" Jeter, possessor of the last* single digit Yankees uniform number (2), Bruce Sherman and other investors, for $1.2 billion.

*Technically 0 is still available, but it has never been issued in the team's history and someone would probably have to request it rather than the Yankees assigning it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
earendel

Post by earendel »

Justin Thomas wins the 2017 PGA Championship. The trophy is called the Wanamaker Trophy.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

9021amyers wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:10 pm
It's on the rocks.
I still think it could happen if he doesn't get caught between the moon and New York City.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 am
It's on the rocks.
I still think it could happen if he doesn't get caught between the moon and New York City.
That's crazy.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:08 am
It's on the rocks.
That's crazy.
But it's true.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:00 am

It's on the rocks.
That's crazy.
But it's true.
Is that the best that you can do?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Somehow there needs to be a clue based on this...I don't know how, but it must happen.

https://gizmodo.com/unintended-experime ... 1797860150
Around a dozen different spacecraft scattered throughout the solar system (inadvertently) took recordings of a single coronal mass ejection back in 2014 and those results were combined into a single paper released yesterday
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

silverscreentest wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:50 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:00 am

It's on the rocks.
That's crazy.
But it's true.
Is that the best that you can do?
I knew there would be people on this board who'd appreciate that reference. I was legitimately disappointed for a while.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Malala Yousafzai has been accepted at Oxford.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-40959543
She will be studying philosophy, politics and economics at Lady Margaret Hall.

The 20-year-old was nearly killed by the Taliban in Pakistan for campaigning for girls' rights to education in 2012.

In March, she revealed she had received an offer to study the three subjects at a UK university, on condition of achieving three As in her A-levels.

She will be studying the same course at the same college attended by Benazir Bhutto, the former Pakistani Prime Minister.