Jeopardy! Season 34

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Jeopardy! Season 34

Post by morbeedo »

OK, so I'm having anticipatory anxiety about Jeopardy! season 34. Anyone know if they're going to change the set and the audio-visuals? Whenever the look of the show changes, I get really disoriented, start grieving the old look and feel, then forget about it and accept the new thing. That's just me I guess ;)
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Jeopardy! Season 34

Post by Rackme32 »

I almost never even notice set changes unless they're *realllllyyyyy* obvious, like base color changes (blue to red, for example).

It's all about the clues and the responses.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

It took me over a half a season after they stopped the most famous board-filling beeping noise to realize it was no longer there since I just instinctively heard it in my head all the time.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:56 am It took me over a half a season after they stopped the most famous board-filling beeping noise to realize it was no longer there since I just instinctively heard it in my head all the time.
And, if you watch Daytime J!, they've retroactively added it to the Season 32 repeats they're showing. (They started doing that around January).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

Does anyone know when the new season starts? Have they even started taping yet?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

arjavrawal wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 pm Does anyone know when the new season starts? Have they even started taping yet?
Yes.
Yes.

September 11 should be the start of the new season.
Taping for a new season usually begins in July.
Under tickets on the home page it shows availability for Sept 18 & 19. That's the TOC taping dates.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

They could use a new set. The current 2013 set resembles the 2009 set too much. A lot is left over from it. They need something brand new. I also wish they would bring back the set turning red at Double Jeopardy and keep it that way the remainder of the show. I'm content with the current 2008 theme but I wouldn't mind a new arrangement as long as it's a good one and stays with the same song they've always used and that they don't screw it up like Wheel did this year.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:52 pm
arjavrawal wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:21 pm Does anyone know when the new season starts? Have they even started taping yet?
Yes.
Yes.

September 11 should be the start of the new season.
Taping for a new season usually begins in July.
Under tickets on the home page it shows availability for Sept 18 & 19. That's the TOC taping dates.
Cool. Thanks!
kingskip wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:55 pm They could use a new set. The current 2013 set resembles the 2009 set too much. A lot is left over from it. They need something brand new. I also wish they would bring back the set turning red at Double Jeopardy and keep it that way the remainder of the show. I'm content with the current 2008 theme but I wouldn't mind a new arrangement as long as it's a good one and stays with the same song they've always used and that they don't screw it up like Wheel did this year.
It's certainly nice aesthetically but where will you get the money to design and build a new set from scratch while still handing out loads of prize money? I mean, we've had some REALLY powerful champions the last few seasons/years.

I think I've seen this point made elsewhere too, but I'd like to echo it anyway.

edit: spelling
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

Personally, I still would love to see the microphones on the podiums make a comeback (as opposed to having the contestants don clip-on mics). But that's just me.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

jlgarfield wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:01 pm Personally, I still would love to see the microphones on the podiums make a comeback (as opposed to having the contestants don clip-on mics). But that's just me.
Yeah, I think it's definitely just you -- I'm sure the clip-ons are much easier for the audio technicians to deal with.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

trainman wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:31 pm
jlgarfield wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:01 pm Personally, I still would love to see the microphones on the podiums make a comeback (as opposed to having the contestants don clip-on mics). But that's just me.
Yeah, I think it's definitely just you -- I'm sure the clip-ons are much easier for the audio technicians to deal with.
Why would they be easier?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:18 pm
The ease, I think, would be not having to deal with the contestants as a variable, rather than trying to get a microphone in the right place or having to remind them "speak into the microphone." Technical logistics, like wireless reception or battery packs, are trivial. Or at least should be for any TV level audio tech, given how commonplace the technology is.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Plus, when there were mounted microphones, they would have to constantly remind contestants not to lean toward them every time they spoke. As Maggie has said, the contestants would look like those "drinking bird" toys during the course of the game.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:17 am
The ease, I think, would be not having to deal with the contestants as a variable, rather than trying to get a microphone in the right place or having to remind them "speak into the microphone." Technical logistics, like wireless reception or battery packs, are trivial. Or at least should be for any TV level audio tech, given how commonplace the technology is.
Fair enough. My thinking was now you need to mike/unmike each contestant, and although the battery packs and technology aren't really a problem, they still have to work when the failure rate likelihood is still higher than a permanent mike. Miking each player of course takes place after they've dressed for the show, now guys have to untuck their shirts, only to retuck them, etc.; and whatever women must do for it and it would be more varied depending on the clothes.

To me, all these things didn't really seem easier.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:47 am Plus, when there were mounted microphones, they would have to constantly remind contestants not to lean toward them every time they spoke. As Maggie has said, the contestants would look like those "drinking bird" toys during the course of the game.
now that's just funny right there.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:17 am
Easier from a sound quality standpoint, but perhaps not easier from a setup standpoint. After clipping the mike to my tie, the audio tech had to run the wire down the front of my shirt behind the buttons, then tuck the wire behind the waistband of my pants around to the battery pack at the small of my back.

I'm portly enough that I almost felt like I needed to apologize, and I wondered if their was any awkwardness when female contestants were miked because of the way the wire had to be routed. Did any of the female contestants on the board have any issues with the miking process?

During the "Hometown Howdies" prep, they had a wearable mike clipped to the front of a contestant lectern so that contestants could jump in, say their "That's me!" line and jump out again. They did tell to face directly to the front without cocking our heads or turning our face, and reminded us not to bend over toward the mike. Would have been one more thing to think about during the game -- having the lapel mike clipped on prevented that worry from being distracting.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I received a tip (from a current and respected board member) to see the S34 promo for J! that aired at the end of Wheel tonight. Whoa! That was a good one and very intriguing.

What was hinted at in the promo is in the spoiler. Nothing really given away, but still it's only fair that I put it in the spoiler box.
Spoiler
The spot opened with a quick montage of J! greats and then did a fast spin through a rogue's gallery of S34 players.
Announcer's voice: Coming this fall a new champion you don't want to miss.
(Huge Letters): Who Will It Be?
Alex: I must admit I am in awe.
And no surprise the spot confirmed Sept. 11 for the start of the season.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:13 pm I received a tip (from a current and respected board member) to see the S34 promo for J! that aired at the end of Wheel tonight. Whoa! That was a good one and very intriguing.

What was hinted at in the promo is in the spoiler. Nothing really given away, but still it's only fair that I put it in the spoiler box.
Spoiler
The spot opened with a quick montage of J! greats and then did a fast spin through a rogue's gallery of S34 players.
You got a vid by any chance, please?

EDIT: Cheers MarkBarrett!
Last edited by arjavrawal on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

arjavrawal wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:13 pm I received a tip (from a current and respected board member) to see the S34 promo for J! that aired at the end of Wheel tonight. Whoa! That was a good one and very intriguing.

Spoiler
I found it using some YT-fu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ays_Od7FthU

Audio is not great though it gets the job done.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:09 am
arjavrawal wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 am

Spoiler
I found it using some YT-fu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ays_Od7FthU

Audio is not great though it gets the job done.
Thanks MB for the video.
Spoiler
Is someone on a long run or is Alex in awe to start season 34?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!