Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by econgator »

acthomas wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:43 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:02 pm
acthomas wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:54 pm
Woof wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:07 am I'm a tad surprised that Q1 played as hard as it did yesterday. My train of thought was literally retired... plan. .. millions... government program. Coupled with my NHO him. => must be before my time, it led me pretty directly to the SSA. What other answers did people come up with?
Kosman'ed it between "which is the important word here, retired or physician?" Adding to that the notion that "clubs" like that were probably more prominent in the 30s and the 60s, I managed to guess right between SSec and Medicare.
Minor terminology nit -- if you guessed correctly, you didn't use a Kosman coin. A Kosman flip can only provide an incorrect response.
Ah, so the same as a 50/50/100?
Correct! :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My first thought was Savings Bonds, but then I came around to Social Security.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Starting my first season in LL. In the Badlands rookie rundle, and it strikes me as very competitive. From what I can tell, this rookie rundle is outperforming other rookie rundles by many percentage points on the questions, and is somewhere around where our C rundle is averaging. I'm one question above .500, and sitting in 7th place.

But enjoying it so far. Got 5 questions right twice, 1 right once, and the rest were .500. Had a great defensive showing in my last match with my opponent scoring 2(3), which was fun. Not counting my forfeit win, I've also gotten the 3 point question assigned to me all but once, which is also kind of interesting. That will probably change as people realize exactly how bad I am in pop music.
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:09 pm My first thought was Savings Bonds, but then I came around to Social Security.
I went with small business loans, thinking that might have been something that local business groups could have initiated that inspired the SBA. Not a terrible guess but some more pondering I think would have led me to the correct answer.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was one of two players in my rundle to get just 3 right, and I happened to be up against one of two players to get just 2 right—and the score was 2(3)-4(2).
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

Urinetown is the biggest surprise from this season for me. I'd never heard of it before, but nearly 70% of my rundle had. It sounds amazing though.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Troydozzy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:40 am Urinetown is the biggest surprise from this season for me. I'd never heard of it before, but nearly 70% of my rundle had. It sounds amazing though.
I never have, either. But I'd think if you had heard of it, it would be hard to forget.

I've been lucky this season as my opponents only have five correct answers so far. (One good thing about being in E). I've gone 0(1) twice, but got ties both days (one was yesterday) and am 6-0-2 and in first.

I only got the hockey one yesterday. I could remember three of them. Elasticity I probably should have gotten and had the MCWA on Yahoo. Not even close on the others.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Troydozzy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:40 am Urinetown is the biggest surprise from this season for me. I'd never heard of it before, but nearly 70% of my rundle had. It sounds amazing though.
Me either, but wikipedia says it won a Tony, so I guess if you follow Broadway shows, you'd have heard of it, and if you've heard of it, it's pretty obviously the correct answer.

Second day that my opponent got a 2(3), so I guess I have my defense going for me, at least. I thought I did better than I did, but Brobdinags and marginal were not the correct answers I thought they might be. Was lucky to guess Smythe (also names Hockey's MVP trophy, and was the only hockey name I could think of), and got a tie with 2(2). (Lord Byron famously died fighting for Greek independence, so that one was easy for me.)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I can't remember the beginning of a season being this hard for the league as a whole. Yesterday 15% got 0(0)'s, and we already had the third-hardest day in LL history. I'm currently batting .500, but quite a few of those correct answers were lucky guesses.
Hoping for a third lap
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Got 3 right answers yesterday (Yahoo, Greece, and Urinetown) and agonized like crazy over my defense...and my opponent forfeited. I'll take the win, I need it--I just wish I'd stressed less, lol.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Apparently the league's perception of "hard" is my "oh man this is something I know!" because I'm having a really really good season (not my best ever by TCA but still solid).
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Wpwells wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 am Apparently the league's perception of "hard" is my "oh man this is something I know!" because I'm having a really really good season (not my best ever by TCA but still solid).
I have this phenomenon in both directions. "Oh, hey, I know this, it's easy, I'm gonna give it 0 points"...nobody else knows it. "Dang, this is hard, I have no clue--I'm gonna give it 3"...everybody else knows it. I seem to have no concept of what is and isn't hard for anybody else.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

tiwonge wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:56 am
Me either, but wikipedia says it won a Tony, so I guess if you follow Broadway shows, you'd have heard of it, and if you've heard of it, it's pretty obviously the correct answer.

Second day that my opponent got a 2(3), so I guess I have my defense going for me, at least. I thought I did better than I did, but Brobdinags and marginal were not the correct answers I thought they might be. Was lucky to guess Smythe (also names Hockey's MVP trophy, and was the only hockey name I could think of), and got a tie with 2(2). (Lord Byron famously died fighting for Greek independence, so that one was easy for me.)
Urinetown....wow, I'm somewhat familiar with Broadway but never could've pulled that although I'm sure if I'd heard of it I wouldn't forget it. I too was surprised that was the highest get in my rundle yesterday. I too only got the hockey one, as I grew up playing/watching the game and knew all 4. Just FYI the Conn Smythe trophy is for the playoff MVP, as the Hart Trophy is the regular season MVP, but glad it worked out for you.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

sarisson wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 am I can't remember the beginning of a season being this hard for the league as a whole. Yesterday 15% got 0(0)'s, and we already had the third-hardest day in LL history. I'm currently batting .500, but quite a few of those correct answers were lucky guesses.
I'm a rookie but followed along for the last 2 seasons. I'm getting far fewer correct than in the past, and it seems the last few days I've looked at the questions and known only 1 or none for sure.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:34 am I only got the hockey one yesterday. I could remember three of them. Elasticity I probably should have gotten and had the MCWA on Yahoo. Not even close on the others.
"Norris Division" has become sports slang for any division in any sport that consists of mediocre (or worse) teams. The Detroit Red Wings were in the Norris Division when they were making the slow climb from being the "Dead Wings" to the first of their 25 consecutive playoff appearances.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:22 pm "Norris Division" has become sports slang for any division in any sport that consists of mediocre (or worse) teams. The Detroit Red Wings were in the Norris Division when they were making the slow climb from being the "Dead Wings" to the first of their 25 consecutive playoff appearances.
Chris Berman calls the NFL's NFC North -- and prior to that, the NFC Central -- the "NFC Norris" not due to mediocrity, but due to geographical similarity. (They shared Detroit, Chicago, and Minnesota, and, for the last season of the Norris's existence, Tampa Bay.)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

trainman wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:46 pm Chris Berman calls the NFL's NFC North -- and prior to that, the NFC Central -- the "NFC Norris" not due to mediocrity, but due to geographical similarity. (They shared Detroit, Chicago, and Minnesota, and, for the last season of the Norris's existence, Tampa Bay.)
Remember when Berman called the Green Bay-Tampa Bay matchup "The Bay of Pigs"?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Wpwells wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 am Apparently the league's perception of "hard" is my "oh man this is something I know!" because I'm having a really really good season (not my best ever by TCA but still solid).
I know how you feel.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I tied 2(1)-2(1) yesterday. This season is still killing me. I'm currently on track for 44 TCA, and my previous worst is 57 :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Somehow my win streak hits 8, despite getting more than 3 right only once in that span. I'm 60 points down on my QPct, but have only had 18 CAA. I'll enjoy the luck while it lasts.