Jeopardy! Season 34

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Jeopardy! Season 34

Post by triviawayne »

doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:32 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:09 am
arjavrawal wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:13 pm I received a tip (from a current and respected board member) to see the S34 promo for J! that aired at the end of Wheel tonight. Whoa! That was a good one and very intriguing.

What was hinted at in the promo is in the spoiler. Nothing really given away, but still it's only fair that I put it in the spoiler box.
Spoiler
The spot opened with a quick montage of J! greats and then did a fast spin through a rogue's gallery of S34 players.
Announcer's voice: Coming this fall a new champion you don't want to miss.
(Huge Letters): Who Will It Be?
Alex: I must admit I am in awe.
And no surprise the spot confirmed Sept. 11 for the start of the season.
You got a vid by any chance, please?
I found it using some YT-fu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ays_Od7FthU

Audio is not great though it gets the job done.
Thanks MB for the video.
Spoiler
Is someone on a long run or is Alex in awe to start season 34?
Spoiler
Of course there will be SOME champion we won't want to miss; personally for me it's Buzzy Cohen in the TOC. That "I am in awe" came at the top of a show, and could easily be about anything, especially at the opening of the final of the TOC (did they tape that yet?)

Hell, for all we know it was about Johnny Gilbert celebrating his 93rd birthday and still announcing better than Don Pardo did at age 80
Total game show career losings = $171,522
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 pm I almost never even notice set changes unless they're *realllllyyyyy* obvious, like base color changes (blue to red, for example).

It's all about the clues and the responses.
I MIGHT notice if I went to work some day and returned to find that in my absence my house had been painted a different color.

As this guy said, the show is all about clues and responses. No attention left over to pay to incidentals.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

John Boy wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:42 am
Rackme32 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 pm I almost never even notice set changes unless they're *realllllyyyyy* obvious, like base color changes (blue to red, for example).

It's all about the clues and the responses.
I MIGHT notice if I went to work some day and returned to find that in my absence my house had been painted a different color.

As this guy said, the show is all about clues and responses. No attention left over to pay to incidentals.
Some of my favorite things about Jeopardy! are that it hasn't been dumbed down over the years, it still focuses on real people (instead of having celebrity editions every other week), and the format is largely unchanged. Maybe that's because it enjoys regular, good ratings, but other game shows tend to lose my attention when they don't adhere to the above.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:02 pm
I'm portly enough that I almost felt like I needed to apologize, and I wondered if their was any awkwardness when female contestants were miked because of the way the wire had to be routed. Did any of the female contestants on the board have any issues with the miking process?
Yeah, it's kind of inherently awkward, though the show folks were pretty cool about it--I don't remember exactly what they said, but it was kind of in the vein of "yup, this is awkward and we know it, sorry." :lol:
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Johnny Gilbert is 93???? He definitely doesn't sound like he is 93.

I just looked him up on Wikipedia and yup...he was born in 1924. Amazing.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:50 am Johnny Gilbert is 93???? He definitely doesn't sound like he is 93.

Does he actually say the whole intro every day or just the players' names with a recording saying the rest?
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:52 am
SBurrus wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:50 am Johnny Gilbert is 93???? He definitely doesn't sound like he is 93.

Does he actually say the whole intro every day or just the players' names with a recording saying the rest?
Well, the intro is 3/4 new material, and there seems to be enough variation in "This! Is! Jeopardy!" to convince me it's all fresh all the time.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Definitely a new intro each time. He had to re-record one intro in a game that taped day after mine.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

badgerfellow wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:10 am

Definitely a new intro each time. He had to re-record one intro in a game that taped day after mine.
In addition, he records taping info right before the show starts -- "This is episode number xxxx, taping date xxxx, air date xxxx." Then the lights come and "This... is .... JEOPARDY!" resounds through the studio, with the contestants introduced in real time right there. Sends a chill up one's spine to hear him say your name.

He also participates with AT doing audience Q&A during commercials. He's definitely there and has a palpable presence.

There are several photos of him in a slide show at http://komonews.com/seattle-refined/gal ... f-jeopardy
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Due to the Los Angeles Chargers game on September 11, the first week of the season will be delayed one day on KABC.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Attended a Jeopardy! taping in LA today. Set looks the same, but the board graphics look slightly different and the show's opening animations are new. Also the conversation with Alex during the closing credits takes place by the podiums now and no longer center stage. Otherwise no big changes for S34

Got a little holiday preview this morning with episodes that will air week of Dec 18th
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:10 am Attended a Jeopardy! taping in LA today. Set looks the same, but the board graphics look slightly different and the show's opening animations are new. Also the conversation with Alex during the closing credits takes place by the podiums now and no longer center stage. Otherwise no big changes for S34

Got a little holiday preview this morning with episodes that will air week of Dec 18th
Spoiler
Was there possibly a seated contestant through your tapings that would've made this a little more of a requirement than the normal?
BobF

Post by BobF »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:10 am Attended a Jeopardy! taping in LA today. Set looks the same, but the board graphics look slightly different and the show's opening animations are new. Also the conversation with Alex during the closing credits takes place by the podiums now and no longer center stage. Otherwise no big changes for S34

Hmm, morbeedo auditioned this summer and is in LA right now. Is there something you've been keeping from us? :-D
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BobF wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:09 am

Hmm, morbeedo auditioned this summer and is in LA right now. Is there something you've been keeping from us? :-D
Haha I wish. I did not get the call yet. Just passing through LA this time
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:10 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:13 pm I received a tip (from a current and respected board member) to see the S34 promo for J! that aired at the end of Wheel tonight. Whoa! That was a good one and very intriguing.

What was hinted at in the promo is in the spoiler. Nothing really given away, but still it's only fair that I put it in the spoiler box.
Spoiler
The spot opened with a quick montage of J! greats and then did a fast spin through a rogue's gallery of S34 players.
Announcer's voice: Coming this fall a new champion you don't want to miss.
(Huge Letters): Who Will It Be?
Alex: I must admit I am in awe.
And no surprise the spot confirmed Sept. 11 for the start of the season.

Thanks MB for the video.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Of course there will be SOME champion we won't want to miss; personally for me it's Buzzy Cohen in the TOC. That "I am in awe" came at the top of a show, and could easily be about anything, especially at the opening of the final of the TOC (did they tape that yet?)

Hell, for all we know it was about Johnny Gilbert celebrating his 93rd birthday and still announcing better than Don Pardo did at age 80
Be prepared to get pumped for a new super champ, says/hints this promo.

https://twitter.com/yestvcanada/status/ ... 1772589059
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

acthomas wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:23 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks MB for the video.
Spoiler
Spoiler

Be prepared to get pumped for a new super champ, says/hints this promo.

I'm pretty sure the wording was "a champ you won't want to miss"--that doesn't say superchamp, although I'm sure there will be at least one this season.

That too early to compare to Ken Jennings line has been used by Alex before, so I don't know what you're expecting from this, but I'm expecting a normal season.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RE: Jeopardy promo- At the taping this week, Johnny mentioned to the audience that someone just went on a streak winning x dollars over y games, but he didn't say who it was or when the episodes would air. He also said "We're always looking for the next Ken Jennings"
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:10 pm
acthomas wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:23 pm Be prepared to get pumped for a new super champ, says/hints this promo.

I'm pretty sure the wording was "a champ you won't want to miss"--that doesn't say superchamp, although I'm sure there will be at least one this season.

That too early to compare to Ken Jennings line has been used by Alex before, so I don't know what you're expecting from this, but I'm expecting a normal season.
Wasn't expecting much more than, say, a 10 game winner. Hyperbole is to be expected for a season premiere!
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:10 pm
I agree with your thinking that this contestant will make things exciting for a little bit and then we'll recede back to our regularly scheduled programming.

After seeing (in my opinion) the most dominant regular play champ in the last ten years only win a baker's dozen two years ago, I won't believe a 40 game winner until I see it. Additionally, judging by morbeedo's post above.. if Johnny talked about the champion they just had (and the season has been taping for ~two months, probably seven-eight weeks of gameplay), it seems doubtful that this is a streak of Jennings-like proportions. Doesn't exclude it from being a healthy streak, though, and I do hope it is someone who can win 20 games, assert themselves as a favorite for the ToC and get people buzzing about the show.

In any case, this preseason hype has certainly worked to excite me.. I appreciate the posts with links for both promos as I've been out of the loop socially for the past two/three weeks. I'm excited for Monday and beyond regardless, but even more so now with the extra intrigue surrounding our mystery player.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

threearruda wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:50 pm (and the season has been taping for ~two months, probably seven-eight weeks of gameplay), it seems doubtful that this is a streak of Jennings-like proportions. Doesn't exclude it from being a healthy streak, though
You missed where Morbeedo said that the episodes he was at will be airing the week of December 18.

(Remember, the show was worried about a possible WGA strike that threatened to stretch into the fall, so before they went on taping hiatus last spring, they put the first four weeks of Season 34 into the can back in April. Thus, they have 14 weeks of Season 34 regular play taped already.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan