Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Bamaman »

Yesterday I had three near instagets and three with no plausible guess (beyond Khan for the golden emperor) and never heard of any of the answers.

Still managed to pull out a 3(3)-1(1) win to stay unbeaten on the season. My longest streak ever without a loss.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

For about the first half of LL71, the theme seemed to be "stuff GnomeL knows", but I eventually came back to Earth. So far, LL74 seems to be unusually up my alley, especially considering that the overall percentage is down. Currently, my esteemed referrer, econgator, is leading the division and I'm second. It will be interesting to see what happens from here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:41 pm For about the first half of LL71, the theme seemed to be "stuff GnomeL knows", but I eventually came back to Earth. So far, LL74 seems to be unusually up my alley, especially considering that the overall percentage is down. Currently, my esteemed referrer, econgator, is leading the division and I'm second. It will be interesting to see what happens from here.
I'm expecting my Dodger-like regression to the mean to happen soon. I can't keep getting this lucky for much longer.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

georgespelvin wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:48 am I have now played 49 matches in a row without a tie (OK, I usually play these when I'm in my pajamas, but that is not what I mean). Surely that is some kind of record. :shock:
Quite impressive, even if not a record. I had a 39-in-a-row streak back when.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

RandyG wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:38 pm
georgespelvin wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:48 am I have now played 49 matches in a row without a tie (OK, I usually play these when I'm in my pajamas, but that is not what I mean). Surely that is some kind of record. :shock:
Quite impressive, even if not a record. I had a 39-in-a-row streak back when.
When I tied on Match Day 9 this week, it snapped a streak of 45 matches for me without a tie.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

And I have already tied my record for most ties in a season, with 5.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

ouachiouat wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 pm And I have already tied my record for most ties in a season, with 5.
Check out the record of BowyerP in 4th place: https://learnedleague.com/standings.php ... irie_Div_2
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Wow! That guy offers more ties than Arthur Chu did! :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Today I faced someone who was 1-3-6.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

...and I thought my 3-3-4 record was odd.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, I've got my non-tie streak up to 50 now.

I won yesterday despite getting points on only one question, the "Sex Wax" question (my opponent gave me zero for the Hamilton question). When I first saw that question I was, I'm proud to say, completely perplexed and clueless. I couldn't think of anything and was about to skip the question. Then, when I began to give my defensive scoring, I saw that my opponent was from Los Angeles, and thought that the "Sex Wax" must be a California thing. Then I immediately thought "surfboards?" and typed it in thinking that if I were right, my opponent would surely get it right so it was worth a try. My opponent didn't get it right and I won 2(2)-1(2). :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Back when I was in middle school, shirts with Mr. Zog's Sex Wax were pretty popular. This question was a blast from the past.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Martin Scorsese has two equivalents to François Truffaut's Metro, Peter Bogdanovich's Picture Show, John Dahl's Seduction, Wes Craven's House on the Left, Tony Scott's Boy Scout, and Edward Zwick's Samurai. Name either one.
I successfully recognized movie titles missing the first word "Last", and found a movie with Last that wasn't there, but it wasn't Scorsese - Bernardo Bertollucci did "The Last Emperor".

This question is a piece of question writing art: lots of different ways to figure out the puzzle, lots of different ways to be wrong, super satisfying to get it right. This is the reason I pay for LL.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:08 am
Martin Scorsese has two equivalents to François Truffaut's Metro, Peter Bogdanovich's Picture Show, John Dahl's Seduction, Wes Craven's House on the Left, Tony Scott's Boy Scout, and Edward Zwick's Samurai. Name either one.
I successfully recognized movie titles missing the first word "Last", and found a movie with Last that wasn't there, but it wasn't Scorsese - Bernardo Bertollucci did "The Last Emperor".

This question is a piece of question writing art: lots of different ways to figure out the puzzle, lots of different ways to be wrong, super satisfying to get it right. This is the reason I pay for LL.
I almost did the same thing, but then remembered that Scorsese had done Kundun and doubted that he'd also done Last Emperor. I finally got Last Temptation, but no way was I going to recall that he directed Last Waltz, shameful since I was at the show.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I'm excited that my defense finally mostly worked! I won 5(3)-3(3).
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Was very surprised to discover that my opponent yesterday was also in South Dakota, albeit in Rapid City, so I was pretty excited for the East River/West River Showdown. I ended up victorious in a close match, but I was a little concerned that my horrible defense would be the death of me.

Interestingly, of the 4 South Dakotans currently playing LL, 2 attend(ed) the 2 private Universities here in town, and the other 2 both went to Princeton.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

MD10

Post by Vermonter »

Got a lucky tie against cmp146 yesterday – our first draw in six matches (she leads, 3-2). I shooed away my first instinct of Emmentaler and went with gruyere, but (rightly, I think) got 0 for it. Educated guess on surfboard for 3. Thought about giving the Canadian 3 for Alexander Stephens, but figured it was a well-known name in quizzing circles.

Speaking of which: "(which would have been rather incongruous, considering)" – what incongruity was the Commish going for here? Hamilton's possible black heritage? Tearing the Union apart? (I favored the latter, but figured Stephens could be considered a Founding Father, as well.)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

After submitting my responses, I looked up Alexander Stephens on Wikipedia and found he bore some resemblance to Jeff Sessions, causing one of those moments where some LL-inspired research led me to something I wanted to share on social media, but couldn't because it was directly related to a question that was still live.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: MD10

Post by cmp146 »

Vermonter wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:51 pm Got a lucky tie against cmp146 yesterday – our first draw in six matches (she leads, 3-2). I shooed away my first instinct of Emmentaler and went with gruyere, but (rightly, I think) got 0 for it. Educated guess on surfboard for 3. Thought about giving the Canadian 3 for Alexander Stephens, but figured it was a well-known name in quizzing circles.

Speaking of which: "(which would have been rather incongruous, considering)" – what incongruity was the Commish going for here? Hamilton's possible black heritage? Tearing the Union apart? (I favored the latter, but figured Stephens could be considered a Founding Father, as well.)
My Canadian husband found your assessment of me as "Canadian" funny, since I although I do have dual citizenship, I identify as an american. I have a Pennsylvania birth certificate and high school and Bachelor's diploma from Penn State. However, I got to buy my little guy hockey pads today, so my Canadian assimilation is nearly complete. I own a canoe and a kayak that we used at the family cottage this summer, took my daughter to figure skating lessons this morning, and have opinions on cheese curd freshness and the quality of chip truck poutine. Feel free to visit us in the winter when the outdoor rink is flooded in the park next door!

I regret to say that it has been too long since I last saw Ken Burns' "Civil War" to recall the veep of the Confederacy. I do, however, continue to bank on my ability to recall far too much about food items. Good match!
boson
Trivial

Re: MD10

Post by boson »

Vermonter wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:51 pm Speaking of which: "(which would have been rather incongruous, considering)" – what incongruity was the Commish going for here? Hamilton's possible black heritage? Tearing the Union apart? (I favored the latter, but figured Stephens could be considered a Founding Father, as well.)
My thought was that it would be "incongruous" (MorisetteA might call it ironic) for the VP of the confederacy to be named after a founding father of the US, since the confederacy strove to break apart the country. I guess that is your second possibility.

I never thought of "Founding Father" of the US as having a precise definition. I would have said anyone important to the revolution and founding of the republic could be given that title... Am I wrong?