Timing of Audition Invite Emails

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Timing of Audition Invite Emails

Post by triviawayne »

Tybalteon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:09 am I haven't received an audition email, but I have just received this:

"Thanks for taking our Jeopardy! Online Test earlier this year. I want to let you know that just because you may not have heard from us, you shouldn't lose faith. Although we have conducted follow-up auditions in several cities, we still have many more to do in the next few months. So, keep a good thought AND remember; there is a random selection process for those in-person tryouts. Even if you do not hear from us it doesn't necessarily mean that you did not do well, only that you weren't selected.

In the meantime, I want to encourage you to watch our new season of shows that begins September 11.

Thanks again,
[Alex Trebek's signature]"

I really appreciate them sending this out, but this raises even more questions. Does this mean that I passed the test and just wasn't randomly selected for an audition? Is this just a generic Dear John letter? What are the deeper implications if they exist? :oops:

I would say it means just what it says--if you haven't heard, you may still hear from them.

If they've already been to your audition city, it looks like you didn't win the random drawing for an audition; if they haven't been there yet, you might win the random drawing for an audition, or they may not come to that city at all.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

FWIW, I didn't not pass the test, and I received the same email.
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

I got the same letter. I assumed it went to everybody who took the test, with the possible exception of those who already have an audition invite. Though it's not completely clear if they have even taken those people off the email list for this.

I suppose if we hear from those with audition invites who got the letter, or those who completely bombed the test who also did, it will show there is no meaning here other than "We have your email as someone who took a test."
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

Well, I was typing my above response at the same time ciprez was, but I guess the question of whether you needed a certain score to get the email has been answered. It's still uncertain if audition invitees got one, though I doubt they really care.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:16 am
I would say it means just what it says--if you haven't heard, you may still hear from them.

If they've already been to your audition city, it looks like you didn't win the random drawing for an audition; if they haven't been there yet, you might win the random drawing for an audition, or they may not come to that city at all.
The wording is awfully vague. However, I take it to mean that since auditions have already taken place in my chosen city, I shouldn't expect to get an audition this go-round. It might be a while before the next online test because it has been only three months since the last one.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Already had an audition. Got the letter.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

bomtr wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:15 pm Already had an audition. Got the letter.
I would guess it went to everyone who took the test, it was vague enough to go to those who have auditioned.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Blue Lion wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:15 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:16 am

The wording is awfully vague. However, I take it to mean that since auditions have already taken place in my chosen city, I shouldn't expect to get an audition this go-round. It might be a while before the next online test because it has been only three months since the last one.
If I were in your shoes (or blue paws), I would take it the same way.

The show has stated they were going to run testing more often, so the next might not be too far away. With testing more often, I just wonder how big the random drawing pool will be. What I mean is:

lets say they test in October 2016, May 2017, December 2017

will all people from the three tests who choose New York go into the random draw together, or just the most recent test?

Of course, there's no way we can answer that one.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Can't it be just a reminder to those that are vested in the show (test-takers) to start watching the new season on Monday?

#occam'srazor
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
billiej

Post by billiej »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:07 pm Can't it be just a reminder to those that are vested in the show (test-takers) to start watching the new season on Monday?

#occam'srazor
That was my take on it. Seemed to be more of a plug for the new season than anything else, just geared to the test takers.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Creed Bratton wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:35 am I received an invite for Omaha, but have a trial that can't be moved. They were very nice about it and told me I could come to Tampa when it is scheduled.
It seems like forever since I posted here, but just got an Omaha invite yesterday--my first real Jeopardy! invite ever! (Auditioned for Sports J! in Chicago a few years ago). I must've been at the bottom of the list, since it's only about 2 weeks away--maybe I picked up Creed's declined spot?
Sheepin' it real.
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:25 pm
Creed Bratton wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:35 am I received an invite for Omaha, but have a trial that can't be moved. They were very nice about it and told me I could come to Tampa when it is scheduled.
It seems like forever since I posted here, but just got an Omaha invite yesterday--my first real Jeopardy! invite ever! (Auditioned for Sports J! in Chicago a few years ago). I must've been at the bottom of the list, since it's only about 2 weeks away--maybe I picked up Creed's declined spot?
Glad to be of help!
Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

Where the heck are the DC or Baltimore auditions?! It seems like they've been up and down the east coast already. Might they not be visiting this area this year?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Setho wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:08 pm Where the heck are the DC or Baltimore auditions?! It seems like they've been up and down the east coast already. Might they not be visiting this area this year?
Maybe they're im the same place as last years religh/durham and this years Charlotte ones?
lillypie82
Valued Contributor

Post by lillypie82 »

Has anyone gotten an email for Tampa? I haven't (this is the first year I am reasonably sure I "passed" the test)... I have been stalking this thread so I know when to give up hope for this year, haha!
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

I've been on the lookout for Baltimore auditions myself. So I looked through the thread for the options from the last online test in early June, and the cities where people have said they had audition invites since. (There were other auditions a few months before the last test, but those are not included here.)

If anyone knows of another city where there was an audition invite since June, please mention it!

Seattle - July
New York - July
Denver - August
Chicago - August
Pittsburgh - August
Omaha – Sept.
Houston – Sept.
Tampa – postponed (I believe someone mentioned that someone at J! had said this could be an alternative for their original audition invitation but had been postponed for now, presumably for hurricane reasons)

D.C.
Baltimore
Boston
Toronto
Charlotte
Los Angeles
raccoonleaf
Contributor

Post by raccoonleaf »

lincoln23 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 pm I've been on the lookout for Baltimore auditions myself. So I looked through the thread for the options from the last online test in early June, and the cities where people have said they had audition invites since. (There were other auditions a few months before the last test, but those are not included here.)

If anyone knows of another city where there was an audition invite since June, please mention it!

Seattle - July
New York - July
Denver - August
Chicago - August
Pittsburgh - August
Omaha – Sept.
Houston – Sept.
Tampa – postponed (I believe someone mentioned that someone at J! had said this could be an alternative for their original audition invitation but had been postponed for now, presumably for hurricane reasons)

D.C.
Baltimore
Boston
Toronto
Charlotte
Los Angeles
Change: Houston - Postponed
Add: Austin - Postponed
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lincoln23 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 pm I've been on the lookout for Baltimore auditions myself. So I looked through the thread for the options from the last online test in early June, and the cities where people have said they had audition invites since. (There were other auditions a few months before the last test, but those are not included here.)

Seattle - July
New York - July
Denver - August
Chicago - August
Pittsburgh - August
Omaha – Sept.
Houston – Sept.

D.C.
Baltimore
Boston
Toronto
Charlotte
Los Angeles
Vancouver is missing as well. (This is the city I selected). As far as I know nothing's been announced for that yet. (Or I'm the only one that put down Vancouver because it wasn't really an option and I just imagined it, which would explain why I haven't got The Email yet ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

So I auditioned in Omaha yesterday afternoon. A few notes:

There were 18 men and 3 women in the group. (Also, a local meteorologist participated for fun - there was a video of the report on the WOWT-TV web site.)
Maggie said that Sports Jeopardy! is officially "suspended".
Order of events was something like: Welcome, game play tips with Corina, the 50 question test, a Q&A with Kelly while tests were being graded, mock game & interviews
Two J! card games handed out to randomly selected people, then we all got earbuds on the way out
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

clt013 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:56 am So I auditioned in Omaha yesterday afternoon. A few notes:

There were 18 men and 3 women in the group. (Also, a local meteorologist participated for fun - there was a video of the report on the WOWT-TV web site.)
Maggie said that Sports Jeopardy! is officially "suspended".
Order of events was something like: Welcome, game play tips with Corina, the 50 question test, a Q&A with Kelly while tests were being graded, mock game & interviews
Two J! card games handed out to randomly selected people, then we all got earbuds on the way out
Neat! Good luck! :geek:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest