Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 6 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2017--Round 6 Instant Replay thread (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman »

I am sensing an epic come-from-behind win for QBall. He/she picked up another 18(!) points on me today. (I really should have trusted my instincts on Alouette. Oh well.) A nine point differential tomorrow will give QBall the rookie wild-card. And the way things have been going for me lately, that is not at all unlikely.

(I sure hope I've done all my arithmetic correctly; I did it pretty quickly. :) )

(ETA: and when I say "will give QBall the rookie wild-card" I mean that QBall will have earned it through hard work and superior knowledge.)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I learned something just now. Neil Simon's original play and the movie both spelled it Ungar, while the TV show spelled it Unger. I presume I'll still get credit. "Aristophanes--ridiculous!"
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:36 pm Apparently, Romeo and Juliet is the correct response. The opera is taking up space on my DVR, though I haven't got around to watching it yet. But thanks to the recording, I was able to make an educated guess on the Gounod opera based on a Shakespearean play.
You're in for a treat - the music is very beautiful.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

It's mentioned in the R6D6 announcement, but in case you missed it, the voting for the Paucle Memorial Award for Outstanding Writing is now open at https://goo.gl/forms/J0WBv3lBJMRwM3QD3
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Huh. Wonder how that D6 15ptr is going to play out...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I've vaguely heard of the Compton effect, but couldn't tell you where it was discovered. If the question had asked for the university (and wasn't a 15pter) I might've WAGed a pre-1922 president and randomly gotten it right, but name the state? Not a chance.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:06 pm I've vaguely heard of the Compton effect, but couldn't tell you where it was discovered. If the question had asked for the university (and wasn't a 15pter) I might've WAGed a pre-1922 president and randomly gotten it right, but name the state? Not a chance.
There aren't that many more states (esp. ones that would have had notable universities in 1922) than there are presidents.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

goforthetie wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:32 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:06 pm I've vaguely heard of the Compton effect, but couldn't tell you where it was discovered. If the question had asked for the university (and wasn't a 15pter) I might've WAGed a pre-1922 president and randomly gotten it right, but name the state? Not a chance.
There aren't that many more states (esp. ones that would have had notable universities in 1922) than there are presidents.
I WAGed Virginia because it was home to so many early presidents
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I figured that since Washington University of St. Louis was the only member of the Association of American Universities named after a president that I could think of (for some reason, I didn't think that the University of Washington was also an AAU member), I went with it. Greg, thank you for running such a great SHC. Good luck to the people who make it to the ToC.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

The only university I could think of was GWU. Given that it is in DC, I stayed clam.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I figured MUJason was referring to his own state with Washington U. I will be teaching the Compton effect this term, but had no idea where he was from!

Ugh. I had Cain typed in and chickened out - I might have ended with a perfecto!

Thanks for another amazing SHC!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

My "fourteener = Colorado" Pavlov failed me big time today.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Thanks to everyone who made SHC 2017 possible. I had lots of fun playing, and I never cease to be impressed by the cleverness of our question writers.

Good luck to this year's ToCers!
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

I'm sooooo glad I let myself sleep on the last day's questions rather than just giving up and answering late last night. My first thought on the BOK question was Bangkok - nothing to do with the question itself, just the cat name - and could barely get that out of my head to then think of Brooklyn. Still no firm connection to a 60s TV show or Stony Curtis, but at least it seemed a bit more reasonable. I would have gone with that if I'd answered last night, and been completely wrong.

But as I was in bed this morning, between making an effort to get up or letting myself go back to sleep, Bedrock popped into my head. 60s TV show - check. Name appropriate for the show - check. No more sleep for me, but it's worth it for a final day 75 - unless I'm miscalculating and did miss some points.

Thank you rjaguar3 for all the work you put in this and other years. It's been no cake walk, with some of my lowest scores, but lots of great days and categories as well. I even won a week for the first time! That's one check-off on my list of personal ambitions.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

9021amyers wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:38 am My "fourteener = Colorado" Pavlov failed me big time today.
As a CO resident, I was able to eliminate the home state, but waffled between CA and AZ (Kitt Peak) before clamming. Glad I did -- totally forgot about Hawaii.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:07 pm
boson wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:33 pm I think this may be the first summer hiatus challenge where I haven't had a perfect score day. The quiz is great and the scoring amazingly fair, but the difficulty of the harder questions has been creeping up.
Same. I have been one away a couple of times I believe but no perfect scores.

I guess this means that next year I should contribute some categories to cut my work in half. :)
I've finally had a perfect day this year, but overall, my point total for the entire summer is lower than last year's contest. I'm not complaining, but I was hoping to improve on last year's result. Ah well.

By the way, thanks to everyone involved for keeping this running for another year. And kudos to the boardies who contributed guest categories (maybe I'll finally get around to contributing a category myself next year).
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

The Talking Mime wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:50 pm
By the way, thanks to everyone involved for keeping this running for another year. And kudos to the boardies who contributed guest categories (maybe I'll finally get around to contributing a category myself next year).
By the way, how long *has* this been running anyways? I joined in 2009 and I think it was going even then so maybe 10 years? Anyone? DoT?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:09 pm
The Talking Mime wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:50 pm
By the way, how long *has* this been running anyways? I joined in 2009 and I think it was going even then so maybe 10 years? Anyone? DoT?
I think 2005 was the first year as I did not play since I had recently taped my J! appearance and was limiting my board interactions.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:50 am I figured that since Washington University of St. Louis was the only member of the Association of American Universities named after a president that I could think of (for some reason, I didn't think that the University of Washington was also an AAU member), I went with it. Greg, thank you for running such a great SHC. Good luck to the people who make it to the ToC.
This. I'd heard of the Compton effect but had no idea about the life of Compton. On reflection, though, I couldn't think of another President who had a University named for other than George Washington. Given a choice between Washington and Lee, GWU and WUSTL, I figured that it was worth a guess (I didn't think that U of W quite fit). Are there other Presidents with Eponymous Universities that I overlooked?
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Woof wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:22 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:50 am I figured that since Washington University of St. Louis was the only member of the Association of American Universities named after a president that I could think of (for some reason, I didn't think that the University of Washington was also an AAU member), I went with it. Greg, thank you for running such a great SHC. Good luck to the people who make it to the ToC.
This. I'd heard of the Compton effect but had no idea about the life of Compton. On reflection, though, I couldn't think of another President who had a University named for other than George Washington. Given a choice between Washington and Lee, GWU and WUSTL, I figured that it was worth a guess (I didn't think that U of W quite fit). Are there other Presidents with Eponymous Universities that I overlooked?
As for major universities, James Madison is the only one I know, which is why I went with Virginia, knowing that GWU is not in a state and forgetting about Wash U. There is a definitely a Franklin Pierce College in New Hampshire, and I believe there is both a Jefferson and a Lincoln in Philadelphia. There's also a Truman in Missouri, which is what I thought everybody who put Missouri in the answer thread was referring to until I came here.