Monday, September 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7586, 2017-09-11

First game of Season 34.
New title graphics.

CONTESTANTS
Andrew Clyne, a lawyer and legal recruiter from Hoboken, New Jersey
Laura Kelsay, a hotel desk reception clerk from Grand Island, Nebraska
Shadi Peterman, a high school history teacher from St. Louis, Missouri (whose 2-day cash winnings total $18,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome, everyone, to the start of our brand new season. It occurs to me that for those of you who enjoy playing along and trying to match your skills against those of our contestants would have really enjoyed the past six weeks, in which we've presented some of our big tournaments. Your memory would have kicked in. You'd recall some of the clues, and you would do well. But today, as we begin our 34th season of Jeopardy! programming, it's all new stuff. Gonna be a little tougher. But good luck anyway. And good luck to Andrew, Laura and Shadi. Here we go.

Now, let's take a look at the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
REJECTED GREETING CARDS (5/5)
NAME HER SPORT (2/3)
SELF-HELP BOOKS (4/5)
BACK IN BLACK (5/5)
HIGHWAY TO HELL (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"A-C"/"D-C" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Laura: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Andrew: 7 R, 2 W
Shadi: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Shadi found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Shadi had $400, Laura had $400, and Andrew was at $600. Shadi made it a True Daily Double, wagering $400.

HIGHWAY TO HELL $400: This state's Highway 67 will get you a nice view of Devils Head Mountain in Pike National Forest
(Shadi: What is Arizona?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Laura: $4,000
Andrew: $1,400
Shadi: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Andrew Clyne is a lawyer and legal recruiter and also a man who enjoys visiting our national parks, and we have some special ones here in the United States. What's your favorite that you have visited so far?

Andrew: Probably Bryce Canyon.

Alex: Why?

Andrew: It's like a chessboard. The pieces, it's just carved so beautifully, and we did a moonlight hike down that on a full moon night.

Alex: Oh, gosh. That must be fun. All right.

Alex: Laura Kelsay, from Grand Island, Nebraska. Cuddled a baby koala, something I think that every one of our viewers would love to do. Where did this take place?

Laura: In Brisbane, Australia. At the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary.

Alex: You were probably amazed at the weight, right? And the strength.

Laura: Well, I only had a thirteen-month-old.

Alex: Oh, that's even more exciting.

Laura: Yeah, they tell you stand very still, because that way they still think that they're safe in a tree, and obviously the trees don't move, so they aren't frightened. And they'll just stay cuddled right up to you.

Alex: So you're very good, in other words, at doubling for a tree.

[Laughter]

Laura: Yes.

Alex: That's a talent that not too many people possess.

Alex: Shadi Peterman is our champion. She's a high school history teacher who attended a presidential debate many years ago.

Shadi: Well, thanks for making me feel old. It was when I was in college. And, uh, Wash U, which is the school I attended, happened to host one of the debates that year and did a lottery for students to get tickets. And I was Sweet 16 and got in.

Alex: Good for you. All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HIGHWAY TO HELL $800: Take the 395 in this state to Inyo National Forest and to Devils Postpile along the middle fork of the San Joaquin River

SELF-HELP BOOKS $800: One purpose of this evangelical leader's "The Purpose Driven Life" is to answer the question "What am I here for?"

NAME HER SPORT $600: Sue Bird
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Laura: $8,200
Andrew: $2,400
Shadi: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ARCHITECTURE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
COMEDY TONIGHT! (4/5)
NICKNAMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HISTORY OF SCIENCE (2/5)
SPANISH WORDS & PHRASES (4/4)
IT HAPPENED IN EUROPE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Shadi: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Laura: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Andrew: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Shadi snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. Shadi had $7,400, Laura had $9,800, and Andrew was at $1,200. Shadi wagered $3,000.

ARCHITECTURE $1200: As seen here, vermiculated masonry features wandering grooves that resemble tracks of these creatures
(Shadi: What are snails?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Laura who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Shadi had $4,800, Laura had $12,200, and Andrew was at $1,200. Laura wagered $3,000.

NICKNAMES $1200: A gaudy, glittering metallic substance is in this nickname for the L.A. movie industry
(Laura: What is tinsel? ...[*]?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IT HAPPENED IN EUROPE $2000: King Zog I ruled this Balkan country until 1939; Communist Enver Hoxha would lead it from 1944 to 1985

HISTORY OF SCIENCE $1200: There would be no sodas without the invention of carbonated water by this scientist as part of his 18th c. oxygen studies

HISTORY OF SCIENCE $1600: Around 1929 this physicist with labs later named for him built the first cyclotron to produce artificial radioactivity
(Laura: Who is Fermi?)

COMEDY TONIGHT! $1600: He asked, "Do you think that God gets stoned once in a while? Look at a platypus. I think so"
(Andrew: Who is George Carlin?)
(Laura: Who is Cheech Marin?)

ARCHITECTURE $2000: In 1923 this Swiss mister with a French nom de architecture wrote, "A house is a machine for living in"

NICKNAMES $2000: Alexander Pope's nicknames include "The Bard of Twickenham" & "The Sweet" this bird "of Thames"
(Alex: We have less than a minute now.)

HISTORY OF SCIENCE $2000: In 1807 President Jefferson created the Coast Survey; today, it's part of this oceanic agency

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Laura: $16,400 (lock game)
Andrew: $6,400
Shadi: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ARTISTS & AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Laura: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Andrew: Wager $4,801 to cover Shadi.
Shadi: Risk between $801 and $4,000, covering Andrew's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1929 Georgia O'Keeffe painted the tree in New Mexico under which this British-born author used to write

FINAL SCORES
Shadi: $5,600 - $1,000 = $4,600 (Who is Lewis??) (2nd place: $2,000)
Andrew: $6,400 - $6,400 = $0 (Who ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Laura: $16,400 - $2,000 = $14,400 (Who is Stein?) (New champion: $14,400)
(Alex: The tree is still there, and you can go visit it at his old home in Taos, New Mexico.)
(Alex: [To Laura] It's known as the Lawrence Tree.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Laura: $14,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Shadi: $9,000, 14 R, 3 W (including 2 DDs)
Andrew: $6,400, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $30,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Laura: 20/59 = .339
Shadi: 14/60 = .233
Andrew: 11/58 = .190
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BACK IN BLACK $800: It took more than a "moment", but this Rochester, N.Y. company emerged from bankruptcy & still sells cameras
(Shadi: What is Polaroid?)

HIGHWAY TO HELL $1000: Highway 71 gets you to America's deepest gorge, Hells Canyon, & this river that flows through it
(Andrew: What is Colorado?

SELF-HELP BOOKS $200: Don't procrastinate,get your copy of Eckhart Tolle's spiritual self-help book "The Power of" this
(Andrew: What is purpose?)

SELF-HELP BOOKS $400: In dealing with others, we need to set these lines, the title of a book subtitled "When to Say Yes, How to Say No"
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

SELF-HELP BOOKS $1000: This self-help guru penned bestsellers like "Your Erroneous Zones" and "The Power of Intention"

COMEDY TONIGHT! $400: She headed to Netflix for "The Leather Special"

COMEDY TONIGHT! $800: This gravel-voiced funny guy won a Grammy for his comedy album "Stark Raving Black"

COMEDY TONIGHT! $1200: He's the late, great comedy legend seen here

NICKNAMES $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a diagram of troop movements on the monitor.) At the first Battle of Bull Run, Union troops threatened a decisive breakthrough but couldn't get past a Virginia brigade, earning its commander this nickname

SPANISH WORDS & PHRASES $800: Cesar Chavez heard Latino leaders say "No se puede" & immediately his United Farm Workers had this slogan
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Colorado
California
Rick Warren
basketball
worms
Tinseltown
Albania
Joseph Priestley
Ernest Lawrence
Robin Williams
Le Corbusier
The Sweet Swan of Thames
NOAA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
D.H. Lawrence
Kodak
the Snake
now
boundary
(Wayne) Dyer
Amy Schumer
Lewis Black
Richard Pryor
Stonewall
Sí, se puede
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ARTISTS & AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1929 Georgia O’Keeffe painted the tree in New Mexico under which this British-born author used to write

Shadi Peterman: 5600-1000=4600
Laura Kelsay: 16400-2000=14400 (New Champ)
Andrew Clyne: 6400-6400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
D.H. Lawrence (Shadi – Lewis) (Laura – Stein) (Andrew - ?)

Daily Doubles
Shadi: 400-400
Shadi: 7400-3000
Laura: 12200+3000

Coryats
Shadi: 9000
Laura: 14600
Andrew: 6400

Combined: 30,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Shadi: 1800
Laura: 8200
Andrew: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I ended S33 with no guess on that black swan FJ! clue and I opened S34 with no guess. The Archive shows plenty of history for matching the author with New Mexico: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

It has not been enough obviously for it to get through my thick skull yet.

My thought process was trying to recall O’Keeffe’s husband. I got to Alfred Stieglitz in plenty of time, but I was certain he was American and a photographer. An attempted brainstorm of British authors of the 1920s had me landing on distracting playwrights, guys from the 1800s, and more Americans.

Laura could have been in trouble if Shadi had solved DD2. Instead Laura was on easy street for a TS FJ! clue.

57 clues in the J! & DJ! rounds seemed typical and expected with Alex giving a little extra talk for the opening of the new season. The graphics department had fun designing the new opening to leave no doubt it was a new game.

One game down and 229 to go. It’s nice to have the show back with new episodes.

In theFJguy post I’ll include the scores at the end of the J! round since sometimes I will post before The Jeopardy! Fan and he likes to use that piece of information.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Did anyone else notice that correct response for FJ is also a response to the laboratory question in DJ?
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:03 pm
It has not been enough obviously for it to get through my thick skull yet.

My thought process was trying to recall O’Keeffe’s husband. I got to Alfred Stieglitz in plenty of time, but I was certain he was American and a photographer. An attempted brainstorm of British authors of the 1920s had me landing on distracting playwrights, guys from the 1800s, and more Americans.

I was waiting to see your analysis on this FJ, as you are good at precalls and remembering responses from DJ and eliminating them from FJ. Disappointed me! :)
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I couldn't get anywhere with the FJ! clue and ended up just going with Kipling to get a guess in, even though I couldn't imagine that was right.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It's cool to see the season open with an instant get, wheelhouse FJ for me, though I don't think that it was the best clue to use for regular play. In any event, I'm not looking forward to seeing my success rate on FJs regress back to my 40%-50% average.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wpwells wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm I couldn't get anywhere with the FJ! clue and ended up just going with Kipling to get a guess in, even though I couldn't imagine that was right.
Same here. He was the only British author of that era that came to mind. I spent the remaining time trying to figure out why he was in New Mexico.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

this is for those of you who need to read *everything* about "jeopardy!"
http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/jeopardy ... tions.html
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

No surprise Shadi had weeks to study on her weakest area, wagering theory, and she did absolutely nothing about it. She was just so proud of that TDD, little does she know.

Truly amazing when a contestant has hundreds if not thousands of hours to shore up the knowledge in order to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars and does a big bag of nothing. She's not the first, she won't be the last. Oh well, more for those who understand.

Naturally a couple of sports clues go unrevealed.

Nice for fresh games to be back!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Obligatory "AC/DC sucks" comment. (Disclaimer that I do like "You Shook Me All Night Long" in spite of Brian Johnson's ear splitting shriek of a voice.)

Back in Black for $200 was a coinflip on Marvel/DC.

"The Power of Now" struck me as very obscure for $200. Can we poll it? That whole category was ridiculously tough IMO.

So of course they don't finish the Spanish category. "No se puede" led me to WAG "podemos" ("we can") instead of "Sí se puede" anyway.

No guess on FJ!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

FJ made me wonder if Lew Wallace was born in Britain. It's good to have new episodes back since given what I've been going through lately, having some normalcy is good.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

alan tiger wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:17 pm this is for those of you who need to read *everything* about "jeopardy!"
http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/jeopardy ... tions.html
From the article:
That’s called ‘penning.’
Oy vey.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I only caught the end of the game, but FJ had me flummoxed. For lack of anything better, I said Malcolm Lowry. British? Check. Right era? Kind of. Association with New Mexico? Nope, not a bit (despite the setting of Under The Volcano)
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Cards (2), Sport (2), Books (1), Black (5), Hell (3), "A-C"/"D-C" (4)
Architecture (2), Comedy (3), Nickname (4), Science (1), Spanish (2), Europe (5)

Lach Trash: Albania; Daily Double: Colorado

No idea for FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Lawrence was the only British author I have ever heard of having an association with New Mexico, and the timeframe fit, so I was pleased my educated guess was correct
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Remnants of Irma eliminated my electric 6 minutes before J was to start. Frustrating start to whatever season this is.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $22,200
DDs: 2/3 (the two in DJ!)
FJ!: :( (No guess)

Fell for the negbait in IT HAPPENED IN EUROPE $800, didn't fall for the negbait on the Colorado/Snake River coinflip. Overall not a bad start to S34.

(Slightly OT: Anyone using the J-Scorer app promoted on these boards: is the Stats page broken for you too?)
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:52 pm Back in Black for $200 was a coinflip on Marvel/DC.
The clue implied that their movies were good. That narrows it down for me.

I got bit by the George Carlin/Robin William negbait - that quote sounded very George Carlin.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:07 pm (Slightly OT: Anyone using the J-Scorer app promoted on these boards: is the Stats page broken for you too?)
Stats is working for me.

I was somewhat disappointed with the Back in Black category. Seemed a bit too easy for me.

Coryat today was 18000, 5200 in Round 1, and 12800 during Round 2. I missed FJ and every single DD.

According to the Stats page on the J! Scorer website, my best clue always seems to be the $800 clue in DJ. interesting bit of info. Kudos to Steve for a well designed webpage, and I look forward to jumping back into J! and using it as a fun tracking tool.

Great start to what I'm sure is going to be an even greater season.