Monday, September 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Monday, September 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:03 pm I ended S33 with no guess on that black swan FJ! clue and I opened S34 with no guess. The Archive shows plenty of history for matching the author with New Mexico: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

It has not been enough obviously for it to get through my thick skull yet.
I mean, J! hadn't previously mentioned the connection since an episode that aired in 2008, so I wouldn't say it rises to the level of being a Pavlov. or that it's the kind of thing that would be easy to remember.

I may or may not have seen that episode in 2008, but watching the show tonight I had no idea on what I thought was really a brutal, YEKIOYD FJ. I said Graham Green just to name an English-born novelist who I thought might fir the time period. (Turns out 1929 was a little early for a tree to be painted in his honour, as he was born in 1904.)

I NHO The Power of Now and thought it was undervalued at $200. MarkBarrett, could you poll it?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

Is this another question where contestants might be asked to specify more than last name only? Since with that cluing, "author" Lawrence could conceivably be T.E. Lawrence...
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

acthomas wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:43 pm Is this another question where contestants might be asked to specify more than last name only? Since with that cluing, "author" Lawrence could conceivably be T.E. Lawrence...
Since both of the contestants who offered responses on the FJ gave surnames only, I can only assume that no such specificity instruction was given.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:47 pm
acthomas wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:43 pm Is this another question where contestants might be asked to specify more than last name only? Since with that cluing, "author" Lawrence could conceivably be T.E. Lawrence...
Since both of the contestants who offered responses on the FJ gave surnames only, I can only assume that no such specificity instruction was given.
The contestants are told to be as specific as possible with their FJ! round response. We can guess the responses were going for Gertrude and C.S while for all we know it could have been Cecil Day-Lewis and Ben Stein.

Both requests seen for that $200 clue, so yes, it will be on the poll. Where did that six weeks off go anyway?
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

alan tiger wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:17 pm this is for those of you who need to read *everything* about "jeopardy!"
http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/jeopardy ... tions.html
"Every few weeks, everyone will bring in their ‘finals’ and we’ll read and critique them. The first thing is to make sure at least one of the other writers can answer it. If that doesn’t happen, then it’s too hard. "

How the hell did the "flight simulator" and "black swan" FJ's make it through that process?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:55 pm
alan tiger wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:17 pm this is for those of you who need to read *everything* about "jeopardy!"
http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/jeopardy ... tions.html
"Every few weeks, everyone will bring in their ‘finals’ and we’ll read and critique them. The first thing is to make sure at least one of the other writers can answer it. If that doesn’t happen, then it’s too hard. "

How the hell did the "flight simulator" and "black swan" FJ's make it through that process?
Or liederkranz, or "Wall Street Lays an Egg" or... what else polled under 15 again?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:15 pm
Wpwells wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm I couldn't get anywhere with the FJ! clue and ended up just going with Kipling to get a guess in, even though I couldn't imagine that was right.
Same here. He was the only British author of that era that came to mind. I spent the remaining time trying to figure out why he was in New Mexico.
Hanging out with Mabel Dodge Luhan and the Taos artists' colony, IIRC.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I went with Robert Louis Stevenson knowing he spent some time in the U.S. but didn't think the timing was right. It was news to me that D.H. Lawrence lived in Taos. Definitely something to commit to memory!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:53 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:47 pm
The contestants are told to be as specific as possible with their FJ! round response. We can guess the responses were going for Gertrude and C.S while for all we know it could have been Cecil Day-Lewis and Ben Stein.

Both requests seen for that $200 clue, so yes, it will be on the poll. Where did that six weeks off go anyway?

Or Sinclair Lewis, who pavlovs to Minnesota but otherwise is a well known author who was at his most popular in the 1920s. I spent 30 seconds trying to think of American authors who might have been born elsewhere, ended up wagging on Dreiser because he was the one whose wife wrote travelogues around the world, IIRC.
earendel

Post by earendel »

This was a rough first episode for me. Several of the categories left me in the dust and I had absolutely no guess for FJ!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2875

goatman had the story covered!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

cf1140 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:10 am https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2875

I knew I should have read that thread! Cool painting, too.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Something tells me the unplayed clues in SHE'S A GOOD SPORT (OK, I know that's NOT the name of the category, but anyway) were Danica Patrick and a gymnast.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

For FJ A.A. Milne sprung to mind and despite no apparent connection to New Mexico I couldn't come up with anything better.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:50 am
cf1140 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:10 am https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2875

I knew I should have read that thread! Cool painting, too.
That can't be an O'Keefe; it doesn't look like an um, er, uh, nevermind.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

We are back! I didn't miss the show so much during the hiatus because the longer days (and shorter evenings) of summer make it harder to jam the episode into the evening routine. It was nice to have it as a time filler now that it gets dark early. The only appointment TV show we have now is the TBS show "People of Earth". Maybe "Big Bang" later on.

The eclipse must have burned up some brain cells as my reflexes were slower and questions were harder than I remembered. I didn't even run History of Science but I did get Priestly and Lawrence easy enough and knew they would be negbait for the contestants.

I guessed James Joyce, hoping that the use of the adjective "British" might include him, and that he MIGHT have had the resources to travel anywhere he wanted. I barely have heard of DH Lawrence, and thought they were somehow talking about Lawrence of Arabia even though I know he died in England from a bicycle accident, in the movie at least, I think...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:03 pm I ended S33 with no guess on that black swan FJ! clue and I opened S34 with no guess. The Archive shows plenty of history for matching the author with New Mexico: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
Never knew Lawrence was associated with NM, so I had no respectable guess. If the clue had been reversed with D.H. Lawrence and the title of the tree in NM as the clue with O'Keefe as the target, might have had a chance. Tough way to start a new season with a triple stumper.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:03 pm The graphics department had fun designing the new opening to leave no doubt it was a new game.
The Denver station that airs Jeopardy started the show at one minute before the hour, so my DVR started recording just as AT was reading the final category header. I'll look forward to seeing the new opening now that I adjusted the recording start time.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Leander

Post by Leander »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:38 am We are back! I didn't miss the show so much during the hiatus because the longer days (and shorter evenings) of summer make it harder to jam the episode into the evening routine. It was nice to have it as a time filler now that it gets dark early. The only appointment TV show we have now is the TBS show "People of Earth". Maybe "Big Bang" later on.

The eclipse must have burned up some brain cells as my reflexes were slower and questions were harder than I remembered. I didn't even run History of Science but I did get Priestly and Lawrence easy enough and knew they would be negbait for the contestants.

I guessed James Joyce, hoping that the use of the adjective "British" might include him, and that he MIGHT have had the resources to travel anywhere he wanted. I barely have heard of DH Lawrence, and thought they were somehow talking about Lawrence of Arabia even though I know he died in England from a bicycle accident, in the movie at least, I think...
Close, but it was a motorcycle accident.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Leander wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:39 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:38 am I barely have heard of DH Lawrence, and thought they were somehow talking about Lawrence of Arabia even though I know he died in England from a bicycle accident, in the movie at least, I think...
Close, but it was a motorcycle accident.
Even closer, it was a motorcycle accident caused by swerving to avoid kids on bicycles.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I have not read through the game thread because...

...I lost power at the house Monday afternoon due to Hurricane Irma and did not get to see the season premiere. Does someone have the link to the website where previous day's episodes can be viewed?

Thanks so much!