Tuesday, September 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mfc248 »

$26,400 - 34 R, 0 W, :mrgreen:.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:46 pmIt only took two games for J! to have enough time to run a full roll of the staff credits.
And said roll included a production assistant named "Nicky Trebek"! I wonder what, if any, relationship exists. (I knew on sight it wasn't either of Alex's kids.)
xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:36 pmLord Byron for 2000?
Clammed on both this and "Grand Hotel" in the first round, I could practically hear Alex's "you knew it, but you didn't ring in!"
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:20 pmTFW you miss an FJ that's a triple-get for the contestants. :(

There's a reason that pop music is my single-worst category in LL. In this case, I know who Adele is and am familiar with some of her songs, but I don't follow the Grammys. Grammy winners are one thing I would have to study if I ever get The Call.
A bit of a fortune for me here, as I listened to the most recent episode of OntarioQuizzer's "Complete The List" just yesterday, where one of the categories was to name the Album of the Year winners of the current and previous decade. Latched onto Adele right away; while I gave it come thought, never had any reason to swerve.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:16 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:20 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:34 pm I went with Beyonce on FJ.
You're not the only one.

TFW you miss an FJ that's a triple-get for the contestants. :(
I guessed Amy Winehouse. As soon as I saw the first response revealed, I knew it was right.

Any other boardies batting .500 for the season because they missed today's FJ?
Sure - I'm just not interested enough in pop music or the Grammys, though I like Adele and if she had even entered my mind I would have known she was correct. But Beyonce took up space in my brain and wouldn't leave.
And I also - for the first time I can recall - mixed up Shelley with Byron, so not everybody found that clue so easy....
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

I'm curious if anyone guessed Bono for FJ because that is a really good wrong answer. U2 is the only act other than Adele to win each of those awards twice; however, their first Album of the Year came in 1988 (all of the other wins were since 2001).
mfc248 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:46 pmIt only took two games for J! to have enough time to run a full roll of the staff credits.
And said roll included a production assistant named "Nicky Trebek"! I wonder what, if any, relationship exists. (I knew on sight it wasn't either of Alex's kids.)
Nicky is Alex's stepdaughter from his first marriage. Harry Eisenberg's tell-all book says that Alex referred to her as his "daughter by osmosis" and that she was working as a runner for the show when it premiered in 1984. She's listed under "Production Staff" in this Season 1 credit roll and remained there through Season 5 but was not mentioned in the credits a year later.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I found the J! board extremely tough. I think I only got two or three right.

The Pokémon clue was somewhat misleading. While the item does exist in Sun/Moon, it was introduced in Black 2/White 2. And it specifically helps catch shiny versions of the title characters.

"The Parent Trap" joins the "things I don't recognize in the top box" pile for me.

Magic in the Bible was an interesting category. None of that rang any bells for me, and the fact that there are witches at all in the Bible was news to me.

Totally TOMless garbage FJ! I guessed Taylor Swift. We only have one Top 40 station around here and they seem to hate Adele (I remember listening to them for six hours straight when "Rolling in the Deep" was #1 and they didn't play it once -- but they played "Tonight Tonight" by Hot Chelle Rae, one of the worst songs ever, about five times), so I keep forgetting how "big" she actually is. I honestly thought she had disappeared after 21 because I hadn't heard anything from her in a while other than "Skyfall".
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm still .000 on FJ's this season. For some reason, I have a much higher average Coryat and FJ% on Wednesday episodes than on other days of the week. Let's hope that trend continues.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Thought "Marx-Engels opus" was misleading for "Communist Manifesto." One normally thinks of a magnum opus as a long, epic work, for which "Das Kapital" qualifies. Manifesto is relatively short.
davey

Post by davey »

Kenny wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:15 am Thought "Marx-Engels opus" was misleading for "Communist Manifesto." One normally thinks of a magnum opus as a long, epic work, for which "Das Kapital" qualifies. Manifesto is relatively short.
Which was how it came to be published, as the clue said, in a magazine.
I think we've covered this here before: "Capital" is Marx's magnum opus. Some of it was published during his lifetime. The rest (vols. 2 & 3) was edited by Engels after Marx died.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Kenny wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 pm Ugh! Two days into the new season and we get our first Millennial pop-culture FJ. This does not bode well. Guessed Taylor Swift, but I don't really give a crap which overhyped, electronically enhanced voice wins an Emmy.

:D
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Funny, both my wife and I had to choose between two guesses on FJ. I thought of Adele and Taylor Swift and made the correct choice. Her two choices were Rihanna and Beyonce.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I wonder if Linda has addressed the myth that Bach had so many children because he had no stops on his organ.
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

davey wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:34 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:16 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:20 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:34 pm I went with Beyonce on FJ.
You're not the only one.

TFW you miss an FJ that's a triple-get for the contestants. :(
I guessed Amy Winehouse. As soon as I saw the first response revealed, I knew it was right.

Any other boardies batting .500 for the season because they missed today's FJ?
Sure - I'm just not interested enough in pop music or the Grammys, though I like Adele and if she had even entered my mind I would have known she was correct. But Beyonce took up space in my brain and wouldn't leave.
And I also - for the first time I can recall - mixed up Shelley with Byron, so not everybody found that clue so easy....
Whereas I started with Adele, thought naah, that can't be right, and switched to Beyonce. Aargh.
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

Those were some strong finishes after Final.

When I first heard of (Toulouse) Lautrec, I thought "Aaaah! This is our Scholars' Bowl meme!" (At a team trivia contest with a fellow alumnus, he asked me who the French impressionist painter was. That was my trained Pavlov for Lautrec.)

Now I got another Pavlov in Moulon Rouge. :D

The Obi-Wan clue had me thinking of the younger guy. (Note to myself: READ the clue next time. "28 years before"..."1949"...the man's not Dr. Who, you know.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh duh. I totally forgot about "Hello" when trying to recall if Adele had done anything after 21. Still, I'm amazed at how infrequently she crosses my path. As I said, the nearest Top 40 station never plays her stuff, and while my mom likes the 21 album a lot, I don't think she ever realized that 25 exists.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

cheezguyty wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:42 am I'm curious if anyone guessed Bono for FJ because that is a really good wrong answer. U2 is the only act other than Adele to win each of those awards twice; however, their first Album of the Year came in 1988 (all of the other wins were since 2001).
As a big fan of U2 myself, Bono did cross my mind, but I felt pretty sure they were only considering solo artists, and Bono has not only released any solo work, he hasn't won any awards for solo music.

Cue the jokes saying U2 is all Bono's solo work because he's the only guy you ever see in the videos, blah blah blah.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

When Adele won album of the year the second time for 25 everyone thought it should have been Beyoncé for Lemonade. Even in her acceptance speech, Adele asked "What the f--k does she have to do to win album of the year? That's how I feel.” That helped me resolve the Adele / Beyoncé toss-up

I went with Velazquez over Goya and also missed with Das Kapital
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:10 pm When Adele won album of the year the second time for 25 everyone thought it should have been Beyoncé for Lemonade. Even in her acceptance speech, Adele asked "What the f--k does she have to do to win album of the year? That's how I feel.” That helped me resolve the Adele / Beyoncé toss-up

I went with Velazquez over Goya and also missed with Das Kapital
Yeah, the Lemonade/25 stuff got me to switch from Beyonce to Adele quickly.
*hugs Current Events thread*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

"Why did Adele cross the road?"
"To say hello from the other side."
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

An article about Linda Shaver-Gleason, the first runner up. She is fighting stage 4 cancer.

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/lompoc ... _game_show
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:34 am
Even the advanced android David confused the two in "Alien: Covenant".......
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.