Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: MD10

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:47 pm
Vermonter wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:51 pm Speaking of which: "(which would have been rather incongruous, considering)" – what incongruity was the Commish going for here? Hamilton's possible black heritage? Tearing the Union apart? (I favored the latter, but figured Stephens could be considered a Founding Father, as well.)
My thought was that it would be "incongruous" (MorisetteA might call it ironic) for the VP of the confederacy to be named after a founding father of the US, since the confederacy strove to break apart the country. I guess that is your second possibility.

I never thought of "Founding Father" of the US as having a precise definition. I would have said anyone important to the revolution and founding of the republic could be given that title... Am I wrong?
Actually the Confederacy did admire the US founding fathers (George Washington is namechecked in the unofficial national anthem) because they too were rebels, rebelling against Britain.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Bamaman »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:42 pm Today I faced someone who was 1-3-6.
Now they are 2-3-6. ;)

Nobody to blame but myself for this one . I thought of Karma, but left it blank. And while I didn't catch the trick on Scorcese, the one movie of his I could think of was The Last Temptation of Christ. but again, I left it blank because I didn't sense any theme going on. I am sure if I had just put down the full title, I'd have gotten credit.

As my penance, I won't ridicule TPH the next time he clams on a FJ clue he says he knew.

I knew the CSA Veep's first name and guessed Hamilton. I figured since Hamilton favored a strong federal government and Stephens was probably more in the states rights camp, that was the reasoning for the wording.

DHK-The Confederate seal featured a picture of George Washington.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:04 pmI am sure if I had just put down the full title, I'd have gotten credit.
I got credit for "(the last) temptation of christ"

Although leaving an answer blank… tsk tsk :)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I am now in first place in my rundle (in D league) midway through the season (9-3)! I'm in shock. :shock:

I know Thorsten plans his questions far in advance, but half of yesterday's questions had topical answers. Thanks to Hurricane Irma, if you needed help, you might have come up with Tampa and St. Petersburg (even without the hurricane, it is curious that Thorsten asked separate questions on the same day with these sister cities as answers). Also, on the day after Batman writer Len Wein passed away, there was a Batman question (although not a character that he worked on).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

georgespelvin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:07 am
I know Thorsten plans his questions far in advance, but half of yesterday's questions had topical answers. Thanks to Hurricane Irma, if you needed help, you might have come up with Tampa and St. Petersburg (even without the hurricane, it is curious that Thorsten asked separate questions on the same day with these sister cities as answers). Also, on the day after Batman writer Len Wein passed away, there was a Batman question (although not a character that he worked on).
I knew of Wein's passing, but that was of zero help to me on the Batman question. And who were the 7% of LLamas who thought Moscow, Idaho has a population in excess of 200,000?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

Len Wein's passing didn't help me with the Batman question either (as I said, he didn't create or write Harley Quinn), but it was topical. Irma didn't help me with St. Petersburg or Tampa either (in fact, I answered the baseball expansion question with the Diamondbacks), but I found the timing of the questions interesting, if only in a coincidental way.

I should add that I answered "whirling dervishes" just to put something down because I couldn't think of anything else even though I thought I probably would just look silly because that couldn't be the right answer. :lol:
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Sheesh, Vermonter, it was a little rude of you not to share your beer.

Congratulations, sir. I definitely ran out of 0s and 1s when assigning defense, so I feel slightly validated.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:48 am
georgespelvin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:07 am
I knew of Wein's passing, but that was of zero help to me on the Batman question. And who were the 7% of LLamas who thought Moscow, Idaho has a population in excess of 200,000?
It may have been a case of just putting something down to avoid leaving it blank.

I got that one and ended in a 5(4)-5(4) tie. We both missed the same two questions. I guessed Sunni instead of the dervishes and had no idea on Batman. We both badly overestimated each other's comic book knowledge, as we both put one point for that one. I had never heard of Wein, but was worried he had some connection to the character and it might have been mentioned in an article about his death and my opponent might have stumbled across it.

My opponent lives in New York, so I put two for the eclipse question, thinking that since they didn't live near either state, they might be less likely to know where it began or ended.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

georgespelvin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:16 am Irma didn't help me with St. Petersburg or Tampa either (in fact, I answered the baseball expansion question with the Diamondbacks)
Same. I knew the four teams that started in the '90s were the Rockies, D-Backs, Devil Rays, and Marlins but couldn't remember whether the Marlins or Devil Rays were the latter expansion team in Florida. I did know the Rockies were playing before 1998 because I visited Denver in '95 and the Rockies were already playing then.
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:52 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:48 am I knew of Wein's passing, but that was of zero help to me on the Batman question. And who were the 7% of LLamas who thought Moscow, Idaho has a population in excess of 200,000?
It may have been a case of just putting something down to avoid leaving it blank.
A good policy as indicated by my success on guessing wildly on whirling dervishes.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

I should have gotten all 6 yesterday, but had brain farts on the dervishes (I briefly looked at the question and saw Muslim and mystic and said "Sufi", completely missing Sufi in the actual question) and baseball (in my head I had the Marlins and the D-backs paired up as last in and said Marlins). Turned out not to matter because my opponent only got 3 of them.

Whenever I hear the phrase "whirling dervish" I always think of this old Looney Tunes short we had on VHS when I was a kid. The tape had a bunch of old public domain cartoons on it and since we didn't have a large selection I must have watched it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfarzyaiVss
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I was half an answer short of my first beer--put Oregon and Georgia on the eclipse question. Womp womp. But I did get an 8(5)-4(3) victory over a player I was pretty sure I was going to lose to.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lost 8(5)-3(3) yesterday. I nearly made the same mistake as teapot37 on the whirling dervishes question, not that it mattered since it just left me with no guess at all. Then I picked the wrong Carolina on the eclipse question. I was also surprised hat Pepys played as hard as he did, though my opponent still knew him, so I can't say that I had much of a chance at winning yesterday even with better luck.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

a little dismaying that more knew Harley Quinn than Pepys.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

bomtr wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:06 pm a little dismaying that more knew Harley Quinn than Pepys.
That reminds me: I knew who the question wanted with Harley Quinn but couldn't remember her name. I was never a huge Batman fan but did watch the animated series when I was a kid, but still couldn't pull the name. I guessed Poison Ivy.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I picked up my first forfeit win of the season, to strengthen my hold on 3rd place in my rundle. We have a few "serial" forfeiters in our rundle this time around; only two forfeited on Monday, and I don't know how much of that was as a result of the hurricane. I lost power at the house Monday afternoon...and just got it back on about half an hour ago; fortunately, I had done my LL picks for Monday in the morning. I'm getting ready to do my Tuesday entry here in a few minutes.

I was stunned...really really stunned...that I was the only person in my rundle who knew Samuel Pepys and his diary. Maybe college literature classes aren't teaching that stuff anymore...but I remember spending weeks on Pepys when I was a college sophomore, and although it wasn't the most interesting topic, I'm glad, now, that I did suffer through it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

SBurrus wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:32 pm I picked up my first forfeit win of the season, to strengthen my hold on 3rd place in my rundle. We have a few "serial" forfeiters in our rundle this time around; only two forfeited on Monday, and I don't know how much of that was as a result of the hurricane. I lost power at the house Monday afternoon...and just got it back on about half an hour ago; fortunately, I had done my LL picks for Monday in the morning. I'm getting ready to do my Tuesday entry here in a few minutes.

I was stunned...really really stunned...that I was the only person in my rundle who knew Samuel Pepys and his diary. Maybe college literature classes aren't teaching that stuff anymore...but I remember spending weeks on Pepys when I was a college sophomore, and although it wasn't the most interesting topic, I'm glad, now, that I did suffer through it.
Pepys has always been Pavlov for diary to me, unless it references a teenage Jewish girl. But only 5/29 in my rundle got it. (The last place guy forfeited so he probably misses it).

I assigned just one but was given two and we both got it. I would have assigned zero if he hadn't had such a high sports score.
clprez

Post by clprez »

With my question history I was rightly assigned a 3 for the Pepys question, but I got it right because in one of my all-time favorite movies "84 Charing Cross Road," Anne Bancroft's character is mad because her copy of Pepys Diary was an abridged version. I think it stuck with me because I had a hard time researching it as I could not figure out how to spell Pepys given it's pronounciation "peeps".
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

clprez wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:13 pm With my question history I was rightly assigned a 3 for the Pepys question, but I got it right because in one of my all-time favorite movies "84 Charing Cross Road," Anne Bancroft's character is mad because her copy of Pepys Diary was an abridged version. I think it stuck with me because I had a hard time researching it as I could not figure out how to spell Pepys given it's pronounciation "peeps".
I LOVE that movie!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Once again the "theater" question is code for "New York question". I realize that Broadway dominates American theater, but I find the meta-trivia about it (like this one, and naming the Broadway production company a few seasons ago) only accessible to New Yorkers.

I was pretty proud of my guess of 'monoplexus' for the monopoly - opposite concept. I wonder if it means anything.