J! audience cancelled for 9/18 and 9/19?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

J! audience cancelled for 9/18 and 9/19?

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Hi Everyone,

I will be in the LA area next week on business and I had reserved tickets for both Jeopardy! tapings (morning and afternoon) on Monday, September 18. Attending a Jeopardy! taping has been a desire of mine for many years, but I just don't make it to that area often.

Anyway, I just called the phone number on the tickets to confirm my attendance as instructed. The recorded message said that the "audience has been cancelled" for Monday, September 18, and Tuesday, September 19. Anybody know what's going on? And what does it mean that the "audience" is cancelled? Does that mean the taping is cancelled, or something else?

Very Disappointed!!
Josh

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by AndyTheQuizzer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to prevent people thinking that the ToC taping has been cancelled
MarkBarrett

Re: J! taping cancelled for 9/18 and 9/19?

Post by MarkBarrett »

I do not have any knowledge, so I can only throw out some guesses.

Those dates were scheduled for taping the TOC.
Are any of the players from hurricane-affected areas and unable to catch a flight?

Do the J! powers want the audience limited to players and their immediate guests only? Perhaps the supposed upcoming bad ass is in the field and the show is trying to put a lid on games/money won getting out?

Fill in the blank for Alex __________
In the past he's had accidents, heart incidents, colds...
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Most likely it's because that's the ToC taping and they don't want regular folk in the audience because they don't want spoilers leaked.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

cf1140 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:36 pm Most likely it's because that's the ToC taping and they don't want regular folk in the audience because they don't want spoilers leaked.
If that were the situation, would there be any backdoor channel I could pursue to plead my case? It'll be my first time in LA in about 15 years and I just want to experience Jeopardy! I won't leak anything!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:35 pm I do not have any knowledge, so I can only throw out some guesses.

Are any of the players from hurricane-affected areas and unable to catch a flight?

Do the J! powers want the audience limited to players and their immediate guests only? Perhaps the supposed upcoming bad ass is in the field and the show is trying to put a lid on games/money won getting out?

It's certainly possible that the demand from players, guests, and VIPs filled the audience. In terms of the "upcoming bad ass", if the show was trying to keep a lid on things, Johnny Gilbert is doing a pretty terrible job of that (see Morbeedo).

I have it on very good authority that the taping is going ahead as scheduled.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 pm I have it on very good authority that the taping is going ahead as scheduled.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Given that, what do you (or anyone else) think my chances would be if I just show up at my scheduled taping anyway, by myself, ticket in hand, and try to talk, plead, or beg my way in?

I don't have much to lose by trying, except the round-trip cost of an Uber from my hotel to the studio.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:35 pm I do not have any knowledge, so I can only throw out some guesses.

It's certainly possible that the demand from players, guests, and VIPs filled the audience. In terms of the "upcoming bad ass", if the show was trying to keep a lid on things, Johnny Gilbert is doing a pretty terrible job of that (see Morbeedo).

I have it on very good authority that the taping is going ahead as scheduled.
Okay, with the taping for the TOC confirmed for Monday & Tuesday then it's how to get a (no offense) Joe Schmo inside. The J! site has two phone numbers after getting rid of the pop-up box: https://www.jeopardy.com/show-tickets/

Start there.

I would think the TOC competitors are allowed guests and that number would have some kind of limit. If there is a wrap party it won't be a shindig with an overwhelming amount of people such as player 1 having ten guests and player 2 having 15 guests. Something in the 5-7 range seems reasonable.

Even with J! staff members exercising executive privilege to get their contacts in for the taping I do not think it fills the audience adding various VIP attendees.

My instinct is there will be seats without a body filling it if there is indeed no general public admission.

So how to get in? It depends on your level of nerve. Show up, give the name of a TOC competitor and see if that flies. In 2014 for the BotD guests met at a gathering station in the parking garage. Nothing had to be shown as proof and it was naming the J! player who had the guest listed for his or her name. Before that time of checking in there was time for chit chat and it could be you could explain your situation and someone might know of a no-show on a contestant's list.

In 2014 the contestant guests had to wear a piece of stick-on tape thing on their clothing that indicated they belonged. My impression was no one really paid much attention to whether someone had it or not. The metal detector people only care about detecting. The ushers only care about ushering. I think it's possible to join the crowd leaving from the garage to the studio entrance and tag along. Wrangling whatever the identifier might be is of course preferable.

Even if TOCers don't post on the J! Board or The Jeopardy! Fan I'm sure they are reading, so post a request and see if someone has an opening. Someone might be coming from the East Coast and flying in five to six people and putting them up is not cheap, so there could be guest slots available.

You might find it better to avoid seeing the TOC taped as five games in one day is a lot and it kind of blurs together and could diminish the enjoyment of watching the games one day at a time.

Good luck.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:35 pm Perhaps the supposed upcoming bad ass is in the field and the show is trying to put a lid on games/money won getting out?
Did I miss a discussion somewhere?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:19 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:35 pm Perhaps the supposed upcoming bad ass is in the field and the show is trying to put a lid on games/money won getting out?
Did I miss a discussion somewhere?
These videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ays_Od7FthU

https://twitter.com/yestvcanada/status/ ... 1772589059

were linked in this thread: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4290
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 pm Okay, with the taping for the TOC confirmed for Monday & Tuesday then it's how to get a (no offense) Joe Schmo inside.
None taken. I appreciate all the input and suggestions. I will try calling today and see what happens.

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 pmEven if TOCers don't post on the J! Board or The Jeopardy! Fan I'm sure they are reading, so post a request and see if someone has an opening.
Great idea. If there is a ToC competitor reading this who would be gracious enough to allow me to join his or her entourage, I'd be very grateful. It would just be me, it would just be Monday, and I promise to behave myself. Send me a private message and nobody else will hear about it. ;)

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 pm You might find it better to avoid seeing the TOC taped as five games in one day is a lot and it kind of blurs together and could diminish the enjoyment of watching the games one day at a time.
I tend to agree with you here. I'd rather have just attended a regular taping. However, under the circumstances, and having no idea when I might find myself in LA again, I'll take anything!
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 pm The J! site has two phone numbers after getting rid of the pop-up box: https://www.jeopardy.com/show-tickets/

Start there.
Just reporting back here for the benefit of all.

The first number went straight to a "full" voicemail box. The second number rang and then went to voicemail for a guy named "Lee". Not sure who Lee is or what his role is, but I left a message and made my plea. I don't necessarily expect that he'll return my call, or even if he does that he'll be able to do anything, but I figured it was worth a shot.