Monday, September 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Monday, September 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm “PRE” SCHOOL $400: It’s defined as “an action taken in advance to protect against possible danger”

Anupama: preventative
Ivan: preemptive
Dennis: preventive

Response wanted: precaution
How the heck was any of those not ruled a correct response? The clue didn't specify it had to be a noun. I fully expected a triple reversal. Respectfully, the judges totally missed the boat on this one. (My response was "pre-emptive," which absolutely fits the clue.) I foresee a poll question on this one.

Instaget FJ for me, even though I didn't even notice the bird on the statue. (I was eating dinner while the clue came up and didn't feel like pausing my DVR.) Sailor led immediately to "mariner," which led right away to one of my precalls, Coleridge.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $13,200 :evil:
DDs: 1/3
FJ!: :( (Had Rime, but couldn't remember who wrote it. WADded Chaucer, knew it was wrong)

Noticed the mess up on the FJ! response reveals.

Also, what the hell judges on that "PRE" clue? I had "preparation" on that. How were all those negged? Judges on "preparation"?
Last edited by NoWhammies10 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

zerobandwidth wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:53 pm Oh, I just remembered something fun about this episode.

There was a technical glitch with the lecterns during FJ!, which caused Ivan and Dennis's FJ! screens to switch places. When Alex looked at Dennis's screen and said his wager was only $4000, Dennis had a moment of visible panic. The judge who writes down the wagers during the break halted the show, they corrected the displays on the lecterns, and they resumed by re-revealing Dennis's actual response and wager for Alex to announce. But by then, the audience had realized that it was Ivan who had bet only $4k, so as soon as Dennis's all-in wager was revealed, the outcome was known. So, it ended up being an even wilder finish than just a too-small wager from Ivan.
Oh wow, that is wild! :shock:
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ. This clue = excellent example of WHY NOT TO GIVE EXTRA INFO: respond "COLERIDGE" and avoid this:

Samuel Taylor Coleridge: British Poet

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor: "African Mahler," namesake of above poet!

Such fun, so many in the wheelhouse tonight! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Golf wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:07 pm Coincidental that Anupama appears on the first anniversary of Arnold Palmer's death?
Coincidence that a clue mentioning Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones being married (and exactly 25 years apart in age) airs on their birthday?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

Very surprised to see two consecutive finals dealing with poets.. Ah well, better for me as I wrote Coleridge in the first five seconds and didn't look back to ensure my fifth straight correct final. Helped that we're reading Lyrical Ballads in English class right now! :D

Had a bad feeling at the top of the show that Ivan's wagering would be his undoing.

I suppose the backstop TS should have been a sign for what was to come with the NFL HOF category. My roomate and I got a good laugh. No problems picking up the LT there.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm “PRE” SCHOOL $400: It’s defined as “an action taken in advance to protect against possible danger”

How the heck was any of those not ruled a correct response? The clue didn't specify it had to be a noun. I fully expected a triple reversal. Respectfully, the judges totally missed the boat on this one. (My response was "pre-emptive," which absolutely fits the clue.) I foresee a poll question on this one.
Well, I think "an action" definitively points to a noun, and all 3 players responded with an adjective. I blurted out 'preemptive strike', who knows what they would have done with that!

NHO ANC

Anupama seemed super nervous, I was hoping she'd settle into the game after the first commercial break but she never really found her groove

No way I was getting necropolis today. I counted the letters of mauseoleum and ziggurat and knew I was doomed

Picked up a bunch of trash and scooped up NCIS:New Orleans on the rebound

Ichabod comes up again? And poetry comes up again in FJ?

Alex didn't hesitate when Ivan said "Notre Dame de Paris" for "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". Funny, I majored in French Lit and I've thought about how I would respond if I ever made the show: Dangerous Liaisons, or Les Liaisons Dangereuses? The Stranger or L'Etranger? The Little Prince or Le Petit Prince? etc.
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:20 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 pm

Well, I think "an action" definitively points to a noun, and all 3 players responded with an adjective. I blurted out 'preemptive strike', who knows what they would have done with that!
An action can totally be a pre-emptive action. Absent a specification of part of speech, the clue didn't compel the contestants to give a noun, regardless of what you may think it pointed too. And I further note that while passively saying "It's defined," the clue isn't pinned to any particular dictionary. Such pinning would perhaps have eliminated leeway for other responses such as those given(albeit at the cost of making it a neg-baity top-box clue. Which the judges' rulings turned it into anyway).
morbeedo wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:20 pm Alex didn't hesitate when Ivan said "Notre Dame de Paris" for "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". It's funny, I majored in French Lit in college and I've thought about how I would respond if that clue ever came up if/when I make the show.
I've thought about this scenario too, and I've always felt without hesitation that I would respond with Notre Dame de Paris (as I did playing along at home tonight).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:28 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm There are a lot of ways to throw away $22,000 and today’s version seems to be contagious lately.
Let's just hope this is the last we see of this epidemic for awhile.
I knew it was coming based on the previous game, but I was still floored given the limited scope of the category and the little we know about Ivan. If he can come up with Notre Dame de Paris, then surely he knows his way around British Poets. Oh well, his loss, not mine :)
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Boardies: I said Chiefs for Marcus Allen instead of Raiders. Do you think that would still count?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 pm Boardies: I said Chiefs for Marcus Allen instead of Raiders. Do you think that would still count?
Yes.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 pm Boardies: I said Chiefs for Marcus Allen instead of Raiders. Do you think that would still count?
Yup. Unlike MLB, you don't enter the NFL HOF as a member of a specific team.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:10 pm
Yup. Unlike MLB, you don't enter the NFL HOF as a member of a specific team.
OK thanks. I was trying to figure it out from the Pro HOF website. Oddly, in a slideshow on that website, they don't list Marcus Allen on here, even though it's definitely listed in his bio:

http://www.profootballhof.com/photos/ga ... of-famers/
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Got FJ without the statue. FJ betting seems to have gone straight into the Twilight Zone. :geek:
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

Am I the only one who was thrown off by the look of the statue? The sailor looked too modern for the 19th century and I had a tough time determining that the thing he was holding was a big bird.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

mcsheffrey wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 pm Am I the only one who was thrown off by the look of the statue? The sailor looked too modern for the 19th century and I had a tough time determining that the thing he was holding was a big bird.
Totally with you on that! but the rope around the neck was enough for me.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

BAD WAGER ALERT :!:
Do the CC's see the wagers before the FJ clues are revealed? $4000 would've been reasonable (but not optimal) from second place and $12000 would not have been terrible (but again, far from optimal) from first.
I was waiting for the triple trap door when the football category not only went unfinished, but totally incorrectly answered. I hope Mark saw the J6 clue in that category,
Spoiler
which asked for the team where Fran Tarkenton spent the majority of his career.
And the $600 clue in that category should've asked for one of the two teams, because both Raiders and Chiefs would be acceptable.
Hoping for a third lap
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Same FJ Response.png
Same FJ Response.png (344.08 KiB) Viewed 6578 times
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

sarisson wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:26 pm
Do the CC's see the wagers before the FJ clues are revealed?
The judges definitely see the wager. If they don't see them and a glitch happens in what wager is locked in (see zerobandwidth's posts), it would make a big mess of the show.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Interesting FJ backstory. Ivan looked so miserable I was surprised Alex didn't comment when revealing his bet. That would be the reason.

Unless it's your nightmare category (which might be something related to the NFL for this group), I don't see why first place doesn't bet to cover. I get that you want 3/4 of the potential result grid, but it's dependent on second place playing to lose. I saw the statue and thought Ancient Mariner and just hoped it was that basic. So my first Monday FJ get of the new season.

Felt bad for Anupama. A certain percentage of people are going to get nervous and forget strategy and forget what they do know. That was hard to watch.

As someone who loves the sports categories, I was sorry to see that one come up today. The three answers we saw were ridiculously easy for someone who has even a marginal sense of NFL history. This may discourage future categories. Interesting that Allen played with the Raiders during 11 of their 13 seasons in Los Angeles, but none in Oakland.