Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Friday, September 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

Instaget. Read both the recent books AND watched the PBS! :lol:

The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

This was one of the greatest episodes of all time for me. I've been on the fence as to whether I like Austin or not, and then I find out in his interview that he must have grown up just down the street from me. I grew up right on the Pound Ridge, NY line in the next town over and went to the school he dissed (John Jay) for middle school, though I then went to private high school. Got a huge laugh out of this since I believe he is also the same age as I am and the "drunk JJHS kids" he was talking about would have been my classmates. Then he had to go and say he hates my favorite band. :evil: Definitely have a major love/hate with this guy.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I read through FJ once and thought I'd have trouble even coming up with a guess. On a second read though I connected archbishop with Victoria and it all made sense.

Regarding the 2nd Ave subway, it's a project that's been talked about for decades and something finally being built was briefly making national news. I knew it right away and also realized Austin's mistake as soon as he spoke. I was seriously impressed with how quickly he was coming up with the "mental" adjectives but then surprised that nobody buzzed in for "incremental" which didn't seem any more difficult than the other clues.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I think Austin Rogers is Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski's younger brother.

https://youtu.be/-JlmvtAHhnc

(WARNING: NSFW language. Also, Eagles music.)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:35 pm I think Austin Rogers is Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski's younger brother.

https://youtu.be/-JlmvtAHhnc

(WARNING: NSFW language. Also, Eagles music.)
The one thought I had at the end of that segment was: life was rough before Uber.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

for 35 years, i lived about 15 yards away from the entrances to the #1 local subway, part of the IRT 7th avenue line. i'd take that downtown to chambers street, and transfer to the #2 or #3 express, and then three stops to wall street.
the 7th avenue line was opened in 1904.
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mikebdoss »

The dis on The Eagles reminded me of this story in Billboard last year. I had no idea people hated them en masse (which might be because I'm from California). http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... glenn-frey
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

mikebdoss wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:30 pm The dis on The Eagles reminded me of this story in Billboard last year. I had no idea people hated them en masse (which might be because I'm from California). http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... glenn-frey
To be fair, didn't the Eagles themselves spend something like a decade hating each other?
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Instaget FJ. This was one of those where it's easier if you don't overcomplicate it.

Fun fact: Paige Pipkin, now named Paige Kimble, is the current director of the National Spelling Bee. Took 2nd the prior year of her win after misspelling "glitch," giving now pronouncer Jacques Bailly the win.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:56 pm Oh that's why Colin was so frustrated. Jim's steal on "albumen" kept the game a lock. Had Colin hit it, he would have had $13k under Austin's $25k and could have bet for the win. I don't think I caught that watching it live. Didn't matter anyway, since Colin missed FJ!, but still interesting.
I was frustrated watching at home. Colin was really on fire near the end. Would have loved to see him come in contention.
Too bad Austin is an FJ machine :p
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:32 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:18 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:48 pm I was about to ask what the heck the 2nd Ave Subway Line was. Why would anyone outside of NY know that, though?
I said 5th since that is the most famous numerical avenue I know.
That's what I guessed, too. I know that 5th is the line between E and W and I forgot exactly which Ave the 4/5/6 ran along (it's 4th), which I had too far east.
This made me wonder if Lexington Avenue (as the 4/5/6 is the Lexington Avenue subway) really used to be Fourth Avenue. Turns out that Fourth Avenue actually turned into Park Avenue, which makes sense as Park is midway between Third and Fifth, with Lexington and Madison on either side.

Just to make things a little more confusing, though, the Lex Ave subway does have a few stops on Park Avenue South (formerly Fourth Avenue) below Grand Central, and even a stop on the stretch of Fourth Avenue that still exists between 8th and 14th streets. (Not sure if I ever knew there was still some Fourth Avenue around.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Can we poll the avenue clue? That seems very obscure, given the debate on it.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Is it just me or is Austin slow-rolling as a strategy?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:21 pm That was an interesting guess by Colin on FJ. I guess the "archbishop" part took him down the wrong path and the years don't match up, but somewhat in the same ballpark, I guess. And while having an archbishop put a ring on a monarch's finger seems a little odd, and it's certainly an esoteric bit of history, this FJ is a good example of WECIB.
To me this is an excellent example of "if you start to solve FJ going down a wrong path, it's really hard to get onto the right one in time."

This was true for Colin and for me as well. I saw "archbishop" and went looking for a religious figure, not a monarch. In my case it led me to Mother Seton, who (who knows?) might have been given a ring by a prelate, if only she hadn't died 17 years before the date in this clue.

Oh well, too sad for me to go "only" 4-for-5 in FJ this week, and good for the champ, who looks possibly good for a long run.

The lineup of contestants for this show made me think it could be the start of a joke: A bartender, a pool hall owner, and a lawyer walk into the Jeopardy! studio....
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

mikebdoss wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:30 pm The dis on The Eagles reminded me of this story in Billboard last year. I had no idea people hated them en masse (which might be because I'm from California). http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... glenn-frey
I still don't think the Eagles and Nickleback are on the same level despite both being famous for lots of people hating them.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:58 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:21 pm That was an interesting guess by Colin on FJ. I guess the "archbishop" part took him down the wrong path and the years don't match up, but somewhat in the same ballpark, I guess. And while having an archbishop put a ring on a monarch's finger seems a little odd, and it's certainly an esoteric bit of history, this FJ is a good example of WECIB.
I guess it is part of the coronation since she was head of the Church of England. But it was a pretty simple get.
Wait, I assumed that it was part of her marriage ceremony, wedding rings are traditionally worn on the fourth finger (checks left hand, yup). Checking Wikipedia just now it seems it was for her coronation if that was the date, but her wedding wasn't that far off the date. (I'm sure I'm not alone here in thinking that the ring was a wedding ring.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 pm Wait, I assumed that it was part of her marriage ceremony, wedding rings are traditionally worn on the fourth finger (checks left hand, yup). Checking Wikipedia just now it seems it was for her coronation if that was the date, but her wedding wasn't that far off the date. (I'm sure I'm not alone here in thinking that the ring was a wedding ring.)
I'm pretty sure that the Queen of England would be the last person to wear a wedding ring on her pinky finger.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:17 pm
I still don't think the Eagles and Nickleback are on the same level despite both being famous for lots of people hating them.
Grand Funk Railroad were pretty viciously hated too weren't they?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:55 pm
dhkendall wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 pm Wait, I assumed that it was part of her marriage ceremony, wedding rings are traditionally worn on the fourth finger (checks left hand, yup). Checking Wikipedia just now it seems it was for her coronation if that was the date, but her wedding wasn't that far off the date. (I'm sure I'm not alone here in thinking that the ring was a wedding ring.)
I'm pretty sure that the Queen of England would be the last person to wear a wedding ring on her pinky finger.
Yeahbut the point was that the ring wasn't put on her pinky finger. It was meant for a pinky finger but the archbish "jammed" it onto her 4th. (Amateur. When I conducted weddings I always told the couple ahead of time not to force the ring on. If it won't slide easily past that second knuckle, just leave it alone. The other party can discreetly twist it on the rest of the way.) Like Dave, I thought the occasion might have been a wedding and that the ceremony perhaps called for the ring to be handed to the celebrant who would maybe bless it or something as he put it on the bride.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:29 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:55 pm
Yeahbut the point was that the ring wasn't put on her pinky finger. It was meant for a pinky finger but the archbish "jammed" it onto her 4th. (Amateur. When I conducted weddings I always told the couple ahead of time not to force the ring on. If it won't slide easily past that second knuckle, just leave it alone. The other party can discreetly twist it on the rest of the way.) Like Dave, I thought the occasion might have been a wedding and that the ceremony perhaps called for the ring to be handed to the celebrant who would maybe bless it or something as he put it on the bride.
Prezactly. The way I reasoned it is that her wedding ring was designed for her pinky because she wanted it on her pinky and who says no to the Queen of England? Why would she want it in her pinky? She set the trend for a lot of things, that’s why there’s a whole era named for her. I mean, wearing white for her wedding when that wasn’t the style then it’s readonable to assume she might want her wedding ring on her pinky despite that not being the style then. The archbishop, though, would have been privy to none of this and thought she’d be keeping tradition. A very reasonable assumption on my part.

(In fact, raise your hand if you knew before today the sovereign has a special ring they wear. I didn’t until I read this discussion, despite watching J! I still wouldn’t have known were it not for you guys, so thanks for the bonus trivia!)