Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I got the Seoul question right without having been there. I'm in the same Middle East group as Pranjal Vachaspati.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:50 pm
Then I get to face BahnamanS on Day 2 of the 1960s. At least I get that butt kicking over with early.
You are in my rundle there. I suspect that we are all playing for second.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

Is the smith for the 1960s mini-league, OkrentD, the noted baseball maven and author of the book on the Prohibition Era featured in the Ken Burns documentary on the subject?
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

georgespelvin wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:49 am Is the smith for the 1960s mini-league, OkrentD, the noted baseball maven and author of the book on the Prohibition Era featured in the Ken Burns documentary on the subject?
Indeed, he is the guy who basically invented fantasy sports.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, that I can never forgive him for. It's almost as bad as inventing rap. :P
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

sarisson wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:22 pm If you had told me I'd have a five-game winning streak and a winning record in my first season in B Rundle... well, somehow it happened. Congrats to Blue Lion on winning the division.
Thanks very much, sarisson. I've had a crazy year in LL. My previous stint in A Horizon resulted in a last-place finish. I can say with certainty that I won't do any worse this time around.

By the way, I'm currently in Jersey visiting family and friends. I intend to bring home an ample supply of Taylor ham and Wise potato chips.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

georgespelvin wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:49 am Is the smith for the 1960s mini-league, OkrentD, the noted baseball maven and author of the book on the Prohibition Era featured in the Ken Burns documentary on the subject?
I'm playing this mini league and it looks like it's going to be quite challenging.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:58 am
I'm playing this mini league and it looks like it's going to be quite challenging.
I won MD1 of the 1960s ML with 1 correct response. I suspect that's the type of difficulty level I can expect. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:03 pm
I won MD1 of the 1960s ML with 1 correct response. I suspect that's the type of difficulty level I can expect. :)
I won yesterday with 3 correct. I'm hoping that's not my high water mark!
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

I won my 60's group with a 4(3), tied in my Middle East also with 4(3), lost in Movies with 2(2). None of these topics are really my strong point, though I'm liking how varied the Middle East questions are. It all feels really tough to defend so far, though.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:14 pm
Surely no secret around here that the 1960s is a personal wheelhouse, especially music. (Watch, they'll be few, if any, music questions.) I got 5 right, including 2 educated guesses (birth control pill, Tour de France), yet missed what was apparently the easiest question (troubles.... and it still doesn't ring a bell). Jean Nidetch was an instaget, as my mom was a very early on WW member. Somehow I neglected to register for the Movies Images quiz... ah, well, time is tight anyway.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

One unforeseen issue is that doing all three of them at once, I sometimes get confused about which mini-league I'm trying to answer. For example, I'll be trying to answer a movie question and get stuck on thinking it needs to be a '60s movie. Self, close a tab once in a while. :lol: :lol: :lol:
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:43 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:14 pm
Surely no secret around here that the 1960s is a personal wheelhouse, especially music. (Watch, they'll be few, if any, music questions.) I got 5 right, including 2 educated guesses (birth control pill, Tour de France), yet missed what was apparently the easiest question (troubles.... and it still doesn't ring a bell). Jean Nidetch was an instaget, as my mom was a very early on WW member. Somehow I neglected to register for the Movies Images quiz... ah, well, time is tight anyway.
I was one of the 23% who missed "troubles." I said "struggles." Fortunately, my opponent zeroed me on it.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I wish I could've answered the Dune question the way I wanted to: Jo(unintelligible scribbing)sky
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Volante wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:03 pm I wish I could've answered the Dune question the way I wanted to: Jo(unintelligible scribbing)sky
I successfully figured out that it was Dune, but forgot to add a director, and didn't know it anyway.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:43 pm
I figured to do OK in that one, too. I had a RTFQ moment: "Irving Stone, Charlton Heston... Must be The Agony and the Ecstasy. And that was about... Michelangelo, that's right!" So, what do I put down? Michelangelo, no title. Bah! Still, I got a zero for that question so no problem and a 6(3)-3(2) win. Having heard Carl Djerassi speak on several occasions, no way was I missing Q1, but couldn't pull where I'd heard of Jean Nidetch before. Today I'm up against some unknown LLama CorriereC :mrgreen: who seems a bit too young to have any firsthand knowledge of the '60s.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I missed being alive in the 1960s by about half a year, so I can use that as an excuse of my performance on that ML is poor.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

I like the mideast questions a lot so far, especially the mideast one. In all three leagues, there have been several questions requiring two answers, which I find a little frustrating.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:18 pm I missed being alive in the 1960s by about half a year, so I can use that as an excuse of my performance on that ML is poor.
Ditto, but also I'm having the complaint that people had about the TV ML -- the questions have been fairly short with no real clues to get them if you don't just immediately know them. If I don't know stuff, I'll take my beating, but the relative lack of puzzles makes them less fun.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Did any other llamas notice how awesome the new-and-improved player tracker is for the minileagues? It is very sweet!

I squeaked out 2 on the first day of Just Images Movies, and it was good enough for a 2(2)-0(0) win. Hopefully my luck holds for the rest of my matches. :-) I am sitting out the other two.