Monday, September 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Monday, September 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by trainman »

acthomas wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:11 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 pm And while baseball players are inducted as a member of a particular team, I can't imagine them negging any team a player played for unless it specified "primary" team.
If this ever happens, I will buy 107 beers for the person who proudly responds with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for Wade Boggs.
I would absolutely proudly name that team.

Here is a selfie of me at Angel Stadium a couple months ago to prove my bona fides.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I feel like some sort of psychic for getting "precaution" now.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

threearruda wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:23 am
jwatcher16 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 am Hi there threearruda -
Glad you're aboard here! Hope you're enjoying "Lyrical Ballads"

I came here today to note I think there have been quite a few categories lately involving poets and/or poetry. Very cool for me as I write poetry and very much enjoy such categories even though I probably haven't read much of it at all after no longer being "in school."

BTW, do you follow the Wordsworthians? They (the Wordsworth Trust) tweet all kinds of things about all the Romantic poets - quotes, articles, blog posts, what happened on that date sometimes, and even PICTURES! One of the best pictures was of the actual engagement ring Keats gave to Fanny Brawne. You might enjoy their tweets.

And yes, I couldn't believe "backstop" was a ts and they couldn't come up with those NFL hall of famers - although to be honest, I had to really think on at least one to get it right...ya know, these "mature" brain cells sometimes take their time making connections.
JWatcher,

I am enjoying Lyrical Ballads, lot of interesting and thought-provoking pieces so far (though we have not gotten to Rime of the Ancient Mariner just yet). Wordsworthians are new news to me but I'll definitely have to check them out - thank you for informing me!

Still being a student myself, in the last two years or so poetry has become a category I feel much more comfortable with -- for J! watching purposes that's a very good thing. I owe a lot of that to my high school English teacher.

Now that I've had a little more time to think about it.. I suppose if the NFL players in question were Brett Favre, LaDainian Tomlinson or other recent stars of note, the success rate might have been a little higher. For the non-sports fan who studies sports based off current events and not an almanac or something, there isn't much of a chance to come across someone elected 25 years ago. Whereas with Favre and Tomlinson, they both played ten years ago and were elected within the last two years; thus are more likely to come up in current events research. Food for thought I suppose.
Hi there again threearruda. Hope this doesn't get too long here...

Glad to have mentioned Wordsworthians and here is the link to their twitter page if you'd like to check it out and see if it is something you'd like (and ya never know, it might also help you in J! watching):

https://twitter.com/Wordsworthians

Glad you're feeling more comfortable about poetry. My late Mom was an elementary teacher and wrote two (not too long) books of poetry. I'm still trying to get my one finished (I have around 50 or so now, but want to have a few more before I do final cut). Guess I'll end up self-publishing it; getting a traditional pub is VERY difficult now. Mom said her father also wrote poetry, but I've never seen any poem he wrote. Oh, what I'd give to see one, though.

And it's nice to see you give kudos to your h. s. English teacher. I LOVE to see fellow educators get some deserved credit!

I also found your remarks on the NFL HOF category quite interesting. If one isn't that into sports and as you say, would be attuned to sports via current events, I think you have a thought there. And don't forget generational. Hey, I remember Roger Staubach playing for Dallas and Tony Dorsett!

And I can't resist this... you mention LaDainian Tomlinson... I really just came to even know who he was during his last few years, mainly from the guys at Sunday Night Football mentioning him. I KNEW he was very good, but not until after he retired did I learn he actually held records (still might... and I always thought Emmitt Smith!). If you've heard of the book Tomlinson Hill, it's about author Chris Tomlinson's family and one of the slave families once owned by his ancestors, which turned out to be LaDainian's family. I saw a PBS show on it, and the AfterWords on C-Span's BookTV with Chris and LaDainian's brother (which was so excellent). Well, I really wanted o read the book and finally got it. But I have been quite disappointed. After a good beginning (including LaDainian's foreward which I thought was pretty good for a non-pro writer) the book sort of got into Civil War stuff and Texas History in the following years. Not all that interesting. And not as much so far about the families as I would have thought. And it was so far, a pretty depressing read, as a lot of the history Tomlinson puts in here is how racist the Texas system was then - to the hilt (if we think there's racism now, well, back then it was REALLY atrocious! So I think I'm about on Ch. 12 or so and really haven't picked it up again. Maybe someday?

Well, thank you and all for bearing with me here. On to the Tues; discussion.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Hugo (4), Horse (3), NFL (2), State/Canada (3), Compound (3), Librarians (4)
Myth (2), TV (4), History (3), "Pre" (3), Body (1), Libra (4)

Lach Trash: backstop, Ichabod Crane, Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, NCIS: New Orleans

Instaget FJ.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

acthomas wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:11 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 pm And while baseball players are inducted as a member of a particular team, I can't imagine them negging any team a player played for unless it specified "primary" team.
If this ever happens, I will buy 107 beers for the person who proudly responds with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for Wade Boggs.
Or how about Colorado Rockies for Dale Murphy?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

just watched this episode last night...that woman gave colorado rockies as a response to football category was pretty funny...yes i know jeopardy geeks generally suck at sports, but to be able to come up with probably one of the lesser known mlb teams, she has to have some sort of knowledge....or did she mean the hockey team that is currently in new jersey?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:01 am My this game has generated the most chatter in a while I think.

It's nice to see the kindness toward Annapurna from the boardies. I can name exactly two cricket players, so I felt her helplessness when she buzzed in with her "Colorado Rockies" answer. I wonder if her reflex to buzz in was deliberate or just a desperate attempt?

I agree with the newbie Threearuda that the NFL players were rather YEKIOYD coming out of the Baby Boomer era. Mean Joe Greene is more famous for the Coke (?) commercial than his NFL career. Michael Irvin is not Jerry Rice famous unless you know him from his broadcast career. Marcus Allen is not OJ Simpson or Barry Sanders famous, and I might have been negged for my "Oakland Raiders" (they've never been LA Raiders to a Chiefs fan) answer.

I went with preemption, channeling our famous Iraq war blunder. The only redemption for the writers is that it was a triple stinker, and it saved the show a few bucks.

I thought Ivan might have some legs, but he got an ideal board on Friday for his cosmopolitan background, and got in trouble Monday.

I couldn't make out the details of the statue, except the rope. It didn't matter, I know exactly one poem about the sea, and it is a fave from high school that we were forced to memorize long sections of - "Day after day, Day after day, .... as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean", blah blah..

so you are saying because she is indian she is guaranteed to have a vast knowledge of cricket players?
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 pm
so you are saying because she is indian she is guaranteed to have a vast knowledge of cricket players?
I can't speak as to the intent of the original comment, but surely most Indians find cricket as unwatchable as most everyone else. Basically a tea party that can stretch onward of five days where people occasionally fire deadly missiles at each other. Even the game's designers subtly wanted cricket to disappear - featuring a tiny red ball on green grass so a good percentage of men (far more likely to be colorblind) can't even see what's going on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Anachronism wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:12 pm
I can't speak as to the intent of the original comment, but surely most Indians find cricket as unwatchable as most everyone else. Basically a tea party that can stretch onward of five days where people occasionally fire deadly missiles at each other. Even the game's designers subtly wanted cricket to disappear - featuring a tiny red ball on green grass so a good percentage of men (far more likely to be colorblind) can't even see what's going on.
I'm not sure if some racism is implied but all I meant to do was compliment her for trying to handle an American football question.

Of course it's fun to bash Cricket, but it is the 4th most popular sport on Earth.

http://chartsbin.com/view/33104

American Football is the favorite sport in exactly one country with 315 million people, and Cricket in 5 countries with 1.3 Billion people. I think that Indians find Cricket quite watchable, and I'm sure there are many bowlers and batsmen that are household names. Even if Anu is 2nd or 3rd gen Indian-American, I'm sure the household males keep up with the Test matches and their respective superstars. (yes that is sexist, but we are dealing with a legacy of misogyny that India needs to move past).

I believe that you Cricket naysayers just got caught slogging in mid-silly and got bowled for a duck :lol: . I don't know what that means, but it is my favorite sports line ever when I first read it in a British tabloid talking about their famous player Ian Botham (Sir Ian Botham).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Anachronism wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:12 pmI can't speak as to the intent of the original comment, but surely most Indians find cricket as unwatchable as most everyone else. Basically a tea party that can stretch onward of five days where people occasionally fire deadly missiles at each other. Even the game's designers subtly wanted cricket to disappear - featuring a tiny red ball on green grass so a good percentage of men (far more likely to be colorblind) can't even see what's going on.
I'm told all the kids these days are into Twenty20 cricket, which eliminates some of these objections.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:52 pm I don't know what that means, but it is my favorite sports line ever when I first read it in a British tabloid talking about their famous player Ian Botham (Sir Ian Botham).
Okay now I have to ask: who's the other cricket player you can name?

I can also name exactly two, and he was one of them. The other is
Spoiler
Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

What about Don Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Kevin Pietersen, and Vivian Richards?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Holding and Willey.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Don Bradman is the only one I could name.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:52 pm
I'm not sure if some racism is implied but all I meant to do was compliment her for trying to handle an American football question.

Of course it's fun to bash Cricket, but it is the 4th most popular sport on Earth.

http://chartsbin.com/view/33104

American Football is the favorite sport in exactly one country with 315 million people, and Cricket in 5 countries with 1.3 Billion people. I think that Indians find Cricket quite watchable, and I'm sure there are many bowlers and batsmen that are household names. Even if Anu is 2nd or 3rd gen Indian-American, I'm sure the household males keep up with the Test matches and their respective superstars. (yes that is sexist, but we are dealing with a legacy of misogyny that India needs to move past).

I believe that you Cricket naysayers just got caught slogging in mid-silly and got bowled for a duck :lol: . I don't know what that means, but it is my favorite sports line ever when I first read it in a British tabloid talking about their famous player Ian Botham (Sir Ian Botham).
I was surprised to see India's top t20 league among the world's 25 top revenue-generating leagues (the top 10 is America's "big four", plus the world's "big five" soccer leagues - Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain - plus Japanese baseball). Those are the only billion-dollar annual leagues in the world. India's t20, though, at $378 million for 2016, is no slouch. By many measures, cricket is a top ten sport in the world. It spread among the Commonwealth like some sort of cultural plague. I've lived in England at times, and have seen a couple of matches. More-or-less understand that sports line (bowled for a duck means you went to bat and failed to score a run - which is the sort-of baseball equivalent of the golden sombrero).

I'm not sure that India should count the entire weight of its population. Sports just don't see the same kind of participation. For its incredible size, the country has a grand total of 28 Olympic medals in its history (11 in field hockey). I'm not sure it's fair to say that someone growing up in India would definitely be exposed to cricket in an average household. India only supports eight total t20 teams at the top level and the annual attendance of the entire league combined is just 1.5 million. t20 in the UK draws just 5-6,000 per match, which is about what professional soccer draws in the US.

At any rate, I think very general cricket questions are fair for J! I would not expect questions naming famous cricket players, though.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

The Colorado Rockies just offered to bring Anupama to a game and send her free swag and it is the sweetest thing ever.
Spoiler
j-anu-rockies-invite.png
j-anu-rockies-invite.png (333.9 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

dinghammer wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:06 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:52 pm I don't know what that means, but it is my favorite sports line ever when I first read it in a British tabloid talking about their famous player Ian Botham (Sir Ian Botham).
Okay now I have to ask: who's the other cricket player you can name?

I can also name exactly two, and he was one of them. The other is
Spoiler
Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff.
Unless memory fails, I believe Graham Gooch was the up and comer as Ian was fading. If that isn't a real player, I still want to believe it is. The sportswriting (at least in the 80's) was very similar to our Golden era of sports in the 1920's/1930's with Ring Lardner. Very flowery prose.

I'm a few days late catching back up on this thread. Although it's off topic, it's cool to see the input from other boardies. I figured business-wise or by country GDP it would fall out of the top ten, but it still is at least the fourth major sport over hockey. Hell, field hockey is amazingly strong by that metric! Sadly, my sport passion (track/field, or athletics) fits just below badminton and skateboarding.

It's neat to see the Rockies outreach to Anu!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i enjoy cricket...not a fan of ODI though...i prefer t-20...3.5 hrs to play vs the all day afairs ODIs require