What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:08 pm Re: the dancing and other shtick:
Thank you, Jennifer.
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:08 pm Re: the dancing and other shtick:

1. Maggie okayed it in advance. The rule for the intro is this: "You can do whatever you want, so long as you don't fall off the podium."
4. Antics absolutely help with the pump-up process. There was a part of me that felt like I was going to float away like a hot-air balloon from the sheer adrenaline high, but keeping it light and fun counterbalanced that by putting me in the same mindset as I get when I'm at home, on my couch, yelling out wisecracks at the TV. It may be Peak Competition but it's not good for stress levels to focus on the significance of that the whole damn time. I concentrated on getting stuff right and entertaining Alex, and hey, won twice, so it worked for me.
Thanks for the insight on this! Funny how restrained a lot of people are during the intro in particular. I figure I'd worry about, say, blinking too much or not enough without something light to distract me.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

acthomas wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:39 pm

1. Maggie okayed it in advance. The rule for the intro is this: "You can do whatever you want, so long as you don't fall off the podium."
4. Antics absolutely help with the pump-up process. There was a part of me that felt like I was going to float away like a hot-air balloon from the sheer adrenaline high, but keeping it light and fun counterbalanced that by putting me in the same mindset as I get when I'm at home, on my couch, yelling out wisecracks at the TV. It may be Peak Competition but it's not good for stress levels to focus on the significance of that the whole damn time. I concentrated on getting stuff right and entertaining Alex, and hey, won twice, so it worked for me.
Thanks for the insight on this! Funny how restrained a lot of people are during the intro in particular. I figure I'd worry about, say, blinking too much or not enough without something light to distract me.
IIRC, I was just going "I'm going to look at the wrong camera, I am so going to look at the wrong camera, DO NOT LOOK AT THE WRONG CAMERA" over and over. :lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Mrs Penguin mentioned a couple of days ago that she wishes she could see a match between you and Austin. I agree, maybe with the (relatively) restrained Buzzy Cohen at podium 3.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:50 am
badgerfellow wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:32 am The people who do at least something weird/silly/whatever during the intro are going to be in better shape for the game, because (especially in the first game) it's the point at which the reality of the situation hits you. I was in the middle of wondering what I should be doing for my intro when Johnny Gilbert started introducing me and my bloodstream instantly became 50% adrenaline and all I managed was an eyebrow raise. Staying loose through this moment is about the game; it's as much a part of a good strategy as anything else.
Do you recall if TPTB gave any instructions on what to do during the intro other than let you know what camera would be pointing at you? I don't seem to remember anything like that.
They didn't really, just pointing out which camera would be aimed at each person, and you're on when the light on that camera is on.
That's what I thought. I would venture to think TPTB want contestants to be who they are and won't give much guidance on what to do during those intros. If a contestant was all of a sudden told to tone it down, would that mess with them at all? Best to avoid limiting what people can say or do outside of inappropriate gestures, vulgarity, or product placement, all of which Austin is not doing.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

So, I just noticed Austin Powers hasn't posted here since June. Coincidence? ;)

Anyone know if he happens to be a bartender? :lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Caboom wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:11 pm So, I just noticed Austin Powers hasn't posted here since June. Coincidence? ;)

Anyone know if he happens to be a bartender? :lol:
The nos are easy for those questions. Where is floridagator? He has not posted since Sept. 21st. Austin would seem to be super opposite floridagator's tag and if ever the "H" word would not get as much objection it could be during the games of the current champ.
Schliemann

Post by Schliemann »

HUBRISSSSSSSS

article in Deadspin this morning that I'm sure some of y'all have seen already: https://deadspin.com/jeopardy-contestan ... 1819218734

g and me are generally enjoying the big A-man. anybody who shows up and really goes for the accelerator at the game's key points is cool with me. however, as the coryat wizards have already correctly pointed to our man ain't no KenJen, ain't no JyV.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Austin is the J.J. Watt of Jeopardy!. He's very good at what he does, he knows it, and he shows by his antics that he really enjoys playing.

Personally, I've enjoyed his run and especially appreciate that he goes through the categories in order from top box to bottom (the way you're supposed to ;) )
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

His twitter says he's a restaurant owner now, so I imagine he wins a few more. How much does it cost to open a restaurant in NYC? I imagine quite a bit.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

chmmr wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:28 pm His twitter says he's a restaurant owner now, so I imagine he wins a few more. How much does it cost to open a restaurant in NYC? I imagine quite a bit.
His twitter has a bunch of goofy fake jobs, though. I think he said he designed the Burj Khalifa.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

chmmr wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:28 pm His twitter says he's a restaurant owner now, so I imagine he wins a few more. How much does it cost to open a restaurant in NYC? I imagine quite a bit.
Considering he wouldn't have received his prize money yet, I doubt Jeopardy would have anything to do with him now being a restaurant owner. Maybe he always was and only said he was a bartender. He wouldn't be lying to TPTB if he tends bar at a restaurant he happens to own.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:49 pm
Considering he wouldn't have received his prize money yet, I doubt Jeopardy would have anything to do with him now being a restaurant owner. Maybe he always was and only said he was a bartender. He wouldn't be lying to TPTB if he tends bar at a restaurant he happens to own.
I feel like I read somewhere that in addition to bartending, he runs pub trivia nights.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:49 pm
This is also true. He won't get anything until probably a couple of months after his last show airs, and who knows when that last show will be? :o
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

I have no opinion on his ability to make up stories on his Twitter account, but he's known for months that he has at least his current winnings, so he might have bought a restaurant with a loan, knowing he could pay it off later in the year.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:02 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:49 pm Considering he wouldn't have received his prize money yet, I doubt Jeopardy would have anything to do with him now being a restaurant owner. Maybe he always was and only said he was a bartender. He wouldn't be lying to TPTB if he tends bar at a restaurant he happens to own.
This is also true. He won't get anything until probably a couple of months after his last show airs, and who knows when that last show will be? :o
Our run group was told that we wouldn't receive our payouts until 120 days after our final airdate. So none of us will be reporting any of this until January 2019. :shock:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:14 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:02 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:49 pm Considering he wouldn't have received his prize money yet, I doubt Jeopardy would have anything to do with him now being a restaurant owner. Maybe he always was and only said he was a bartender. He wouldn't be lying to TPTB if he tends bar at a restaurant he happens to own.
Our run group was told that we wouldn't receive our payouts until 120 days after our final airdate. So none of us will be reporting any of this until January 2019. :shock:
For my cohort, it didn't end up being a full 120--that's more the limit, I think. I got mine at about the 2.5-month mark, and I know of two other people from my tape week who got theirs at the same time.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Wait, he says he's the owner/executive chef of Nobu? Then he's just lying.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

mikebdoss wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:19 pm Wait, he says he's the owner/executive chef of Nobu? Then he's just lying.
Yeah, unless he's changed it since I last looked, it's a bunch of intentional jokes. Super fancy restaurants and famous buildings that he's obviously not the owner or architect of.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

mikebdoss wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:10 pm I have no opinion on his ability to make up stories on his Twitter account, but he's known for months that he has at least his current winnings, so he might have bought a restaurant with a loan, knowing he could pay it off later in the year.
Only if he had enough collateral before his taping as he couldn’t tell the bank “I’m good for it” until the last few days.
Total game show career losings = $171,522