What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

aicarrie1

Re: What do you guys think of Austin Rogers so far? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Post by aicarrie1 »

I thinks he is a jerk who makes fun of the other players especially when he wagged his fingers after winning the game last night.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

aicarrie1 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:39 pm I thinks he is a jerk who makes fun of the other players especially when he wagged his fingers after winning the game last night.
Which contestant were you again?
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

The Jeopardy Fan: Statistics wrote:Average Coryat: $18,800
He's finally actually beating Amy Survat.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:14 pm
KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:02 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:49 pm Considering he wouldn't have received his prize money yet, I doubt Jeopardy would have anything to do with him now being a restaurant owner. Maybe he always was and only said he was a bartender. He wouldn't be lying to TPTB if he tends bar at a restaurant he happens to own.
This is also true. He won't get anything until probably a couple of months after his last show airs, and who knows when that last show will be? :o
Our run group was told that we wouldn't receive our payouts until 120 days after our final airdate. So none of us will be reporting any of this until January 2019. :shock:
That's over 400 days away, how slow is the mail where you are?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:14 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:14 pm Our run group was told that we wouldn't receive our payouts until 120 days after our final airdate. So none of us will be reporting any of this until January 2019. :shock:
If we air this month, a full 120-day wait would mean we don't receive the payouts until the next calendar year, thus it's earned in that year and wouldn't be reported until the next one.

I ran into a similar situation at my first contracting job which neglected to send me any paychecks for November and December, so they sent a lump sum check in January. Though the work was done in one year, the income didn't hit until the next. This had some rather strange effects on my tax reporting for both years.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

KellyLasiter wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:02 pm This is also true. He won't get anything until probably a couple of months after his last show airs, and who knows when that last show will be? :o
Often what happens, especially in the case of a big champion like Matt Jackson where the timing works out, is that the show will present them with a check during their ToC taping.

I also seem to recall Vinny Varadarajan being physically handed a check by Dan Patrick during a Sports Jeopardy! episode
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

Austin is an utter clown.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 am Austin is an utter clown.
Hey! Play nice.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

zerobandwidth wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:58 am
dhkendall wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:14 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:14 pm Our run group was told that we wouldn't receive our payouts until 120 days after our final airdate. So none of us will be reporting any of this until January 2019. :shock:
If we air this month, a full 120-day wait would mean we don't receive the payouts until the next calendar year, thus it's earned in that year and wouldn't be reported until the next one.

I ran into a similar situation at my first contracting job which neglected to send me any paychecks for November and December, so they sent a lump sum check in January. Though the work was done in one year, the income didn't hit until the next. This had some rather strange effects on my tax reporting for both years.
Ah, I didn’t take “reporting” to mean “tax reporting” for some reason. Carry on.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:32 am
John Boy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:20 am
acthomas wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:12 am The intros are just a lose-lose all around for the contestants. Stand still and feel awkward? Let loose a little and get mocked? I know which camp I'd rather be in, and Austin's not doing anything there beyond what I think I'd feel comfortable doing. Though I am glad that "bat flip" is now officially off the list for future mini-celebrations.

I'm actually a little surprised more people don't dance a little to the theme either during the intros or FJ to get the blood going to the brain.

tl,dr: Austin's the first superchamp* in a while where I've felt inspired by their in-game performance and not terrified/put off by it.
There's a lot of territory available between "stand still and look awkward" and the kind of behavior exhibited by Austin and (earlier) Jennifer. Wave. Mouth "Hi, Mom." Smile. It's only for 5 seconds, after all, and you get to "let loose a little" in the interview or possibly even during the game. I was not a fan of Jennifer's dancing and I'm not a fan of Austin's pantomimes.

What is it the boardie wrote some time ago? The game should be about the game, and anything that draws attention away from the game should be kept to a minimum.

PS Most of us would be so excited to finally get our chance to be on the show, the LAST thing we would need would be something to "get the blood going." That's like asking the coach how he expects to motivate his team to play in the Super Bowl. They ARE motivated, and anyone who isn't would never have gotten here. No need for rah-rah to pump you up.
The people who do at least something weird/silly/whatever during the intro are going to be in better shape for the game, because (especially in the first game) it's the point at which the reality of the situation hits you. I was in the middle of wondering what I should be doing for my intro when Johnny Gilbert started introducing me and my bloodstream instantly became 50% adrenaline and all I managed was an eyebrow raise. Staying loose through this moment is about the game; it's as much a part of a good strategy as anything else.

I couldn't imagine if 2 or all 3 of the contestants started these odd moves/looks during the show. I'd still watch but it'd be tough.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Johnblue wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:06 pm I couldn't imagine if 2 or all 3 of the contestants started these odd moves/looks during the show. I'd still watch but it'd be tough.
As much as I enjoy sports and should have enjoyed Sports J!, that's exactly what made it hard for me to watch. It became more about the personalities than that weird imaginary world of trivia I lose myself in while watching. But I can't say that I'm the norm. Stuff like LL and the TDs don't work for me at all, either, and some very smart people enjoy them.

If I tried a pantomime or something like that, I'd spend the entire game worrying about what my wife and friends would say later rather than using it to relax. And I will say this for Austin: since that one game early on, he's been a fairly even-keeled enjoyable player to watch during the game itself - especially since he has a real killer attitude toward DDs and FJ.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

John Boy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:20 am What is it the boardie wrote some time ago? The game should be about the game, and anything that draws attention away from the game should be kept to a minimum.
You yourself are welcome to personally hold this opinion, but the boardie who originally wrote it phrased it in such a fashion that he expects everyone here on JBoard to hold the opinion, and thus, that "speaking for everyone" has completely ruined the spirit of the opinion for me.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Austin Powers wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:01 pm
guessonguessonguess wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 am Austin is an utter clown.
Hey! Play nice.
I read that as high praise
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Where did the Jeopardy Gods decry that you're supposed to play with your finger up your butt? The "antics" of Jennifer Morrow and Austin Rogers aren't antics, they're just having good creative fun. We should have a contest here where we make videos of ourselves as if we were doing our intros for the show.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

harrumph wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:30 pm Where did the Jeopardy Gods decry that you're supposed to play with your finger up your butt? The "antics" of Jennifer Morrow and Austin Rogers aren't antics, they're just having good creative fun. We should have a contest here where we make videos of ourselves as if we were doing our intros for the show.
OK...but I call acting like Isaac on the intro to The Love Boat.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I really like Austin's attitude when he misses a daily double. A lot of contestants get devastated when they miss a big daily double and Austin just takes it in stride and keeps on playing.

The combination of big daily double bets and the high percentage of answering them correctly is really fun to watch. There's also a fun "what's going to happen next" factor. With his play style he is going to win big or he is going to crash and burn. I want to watch so I can see what will happen.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MattKnowles wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:30 pm I really like Austin's attitude when he misses a daily double. A lot of contestants get devastated when they miss a big daily double and Austin just takes it in stride and keeps on playing.
I do as well. I'm sure some find his reactions of "whatever"/"it's okay" offputting, but those are the viewers who aren't going to like him anyway, and I view it as him telling himself not to panic as much as anything else.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:59 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:30 pm I really like Austin's attitude when he misses a daily double. A lot of contestants get devastated when they miss a big daily double and Austin just takes it in stride and keeps on playing.
I do as well. I'm sure some find his reactions of "whatever"/"it's okay" offputting, but those are the viewers who aren't going to like him anyway, and I view it as him telling himself not to panic as much as anything else.
Funny, that's an aspect of him that I do like. It shows humility. But then again, if I had as much winnings as he did, I could afford to be blase about missing a DD, too.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Do you think the Jeopardy! producers can do time travel and the reason they made Buzzy Cohen play as "Buzzy" instead of Austin is that they didn't want to have two contestants known as Austin in the ToC?
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:59 pm
I think that's what made the difference for him the last two days. If he didn't have this restraint, he would have hit the rails on his first DD miss.