Learned League 74 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Learned League 74 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:15 am Surely there were vast numbers of us who went back-and-forth on Shepard/Glenn/Shepard/Glenn.... only to discover that both were accepted. I went with Glenn because he satisfied 2/3 of the clue; Shepard only 1/3.
Honestly that was a pretty bad gaff. I would have thought Daniel Okrent would understand the value of a good fact checker.

I also went with John Glenn using the same rationale, but I was confident either would have to be accepted.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

I had a pretty good day in all three leagues yesterday. My answer of "Alamo" for "Alamo Drafthouse" wasn't accepted, which seems a bit mean spirited to me. However, my opponent defended it at 0, so it wouldn't have mattered any way. :roll:
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

I was undefeated and leading my group for movies. Last night I was trying to work through answers at around 11, and next thing I know it's 3:15 in the morning. I wake my computer up and see that I never got the defensive points assigned before falling asleep. I would have won, too, as my opponent only got 1 right and, based on what he had given me defensively, I would have had I think 5 points. Instead, I have a forfeit and am now in 2nd.

This is why I can't have nice things.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Yeah, I was pretty sure that wasn’t Truffaut but went with him anyway over Godard. Bummer. Saw that film in college, don’t really remember it

Thought I had a shot at winning Middle East but was up against the guy in first place and lost 6(3)-8(4)

Better luck next week?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I'm just mad I didn't get Scott Pilgrim, from a movie I own on Blu-ray.

I guess it's because I really only have eyes for Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Brie Larson, and Mae Whitman.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Thorsten just notified me that my One-Day proposal was accepted for Oct 2018!

Clowns - get ready for it :O)

Another happy day!
clprez

Post by clprez »

Hey bamaman,

Congrats on your top 10 finish in the Alabama 1DS!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:58 pm Thorsten just notified me that my One-Day proposal was accepted for Oct 2018!

Clowns - get ready for it :O)

Another happy day!
Ditto, also in Oct '18. Mine will be Internet 2, though.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Woo, I got a 1DS! National Spelling Bee, coming April 14.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

clprez wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:28 pm Hey bamaman,

Congrats on your top 10 finish in the Alabama 1DS!
Thank you!!!! I was really worried I'd embarrass myself in this one. I actually submitted a request for an Alabama quiz last year but apparently I wasn't the only one. But that meant I got to play it.

I was proud to come in 6th, though if not for poor money choices (Lemay was easier than I expected and 911 was harder than I would have thought) and a movie I'd never heard of, I could have contended for the top spot.

Home field advantage was obviously a big help, though it may have hurt me on 911 as I knew the story about it debuting there already. The movie was all I missed.

Did anybody else play it? What did you think?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I will be smithing The Lord of the Rings 1DS in October 2018.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I am now leading my rundle in the 1960s ML as the only unbeaten (but tied) remaining at 5-0-1. I'm probably only leading because Steve Bahnaman forfeited a match last week (he's won all of the matches he's played).

Of course, I might only be doing so well because of scheduling serendipity. Incredibly, all of my opponents so far are not among the current rundle leaders so it looks like, starting today, we'll find out if I am really a contender or a pretender. :P
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:17 am I will be smithing The Lord of the Rings 1DS in October 2018.
Looks like that one and Battlestar Galactica will be the two I'm playing this year.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

georgespelvin wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:21 am I am now leading my rundle in the 1960s ML as the only unbeaten (but tied) remaining at 5-0-1. I'm probably only leading because Steve Bahnaman forfeited a match last week (he's won all of the matches he's played).

Of course, I might only be doing so well because of scheduling serendipity. Incredibly, all of my opponents so far are not among the current rundle leaders so it looks like, starting today, we'll find out if I am really a contender or a pretender. :P
I guess we're in the same rundle - (I'm KnobelR). I was leading, but fell to third place with Monday's match. Steve Bahnaman and I had the unlikely 1(2)-3(2) match yesterday. Unlikely that he would only get 2 correct, not unlikely that I would lose to him.

We play each other Thursday. Good luck this week!
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well now I know that I am in really rarefied company with both you and Steve being in the rundle. Yep, my scheduling luck seems to be about to run out as I still have to play you and Steve. :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I realize that 23% is a pretty low get rate overall -- double that in my rundle got it -- but was there something notable about the word "camp" being associated with Tiffany lamps, Swan Lake or the Brown Derby Restaurant? Or Susan Sontag, for that matter? I was surprised that anybody got that one right.

Only 37% recognized Eichmann.... only 16% got Judy Garland? Her comeback concert at Carnegie Hall (and subsequent album) was a huge event at the time... and still considered one of the most remarkable events in show business history. I'm not even much of a Judy Garland fan, but that one came to me immediately.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am I realize that 23% is a pretty low get rate overall -- double that in my rundle got it -- but was there something notable about the word "camp" being associated with Tiffany lamps, Swan Lake or the Brown Derby Restaurant? Or Susan Sontag, for that matter? I was surprised that anybody got that one right.

Only 37% recognized Eichmann.... only 16% got Judy Garland? Her comeback concert at Carnegie Hall (and subsequent album) was a huge event at the time... and still considered one of the most remarkable events in show business history. I'm not even much of a Judy Garland fan, but that one came to me immediately.

I never thought of Judy Garland. I put Marilyn Monroe - I thought it was her coming out to sing "Happy Birthday" to JFK.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am Only 37% recognized Eichmann.... only 16% got Judy Garland? Her comeback concert at Carnegie Hall (and subsequent album) was a huge event at the time... and still considered one of the most remarkable events in show business history. I'm not even much of a Judy Garland fan, but that one came to me immediately.
It never occurred to me that the answer might be someone other than an opera singer.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:09 pm
RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am Only 37% recognized Eichmann.... only 16% got Judy Garland? Her comeback concert at Carnegie Hall (and subsequent album) was a huge event at the time... and still considered one of the most remarkable events in show business history. I'm not even much of a Judy Garland fan, but that one came to me immediately.
It never occurred to me that the answer might be someone other than an opera singer.
My immediate thought was "it must be the first black singer to perform at Carnegie Hall - Marian Anderson!" Turns out that's not even what Anderson is really famous for and she first sang at Carnegie Hall in 1928.

For Eichmann I picked the wrong Nazi. I said Rudolf Hess. I figured it was a photo from the Nuremberg Trials.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am I realize that 23% is a pretty low get rate overall -- double that in my rundle got it -- but was there something notable about the word "camp" being associated with Tiffany lamps, Swan Lake or the Brown Derby Restaurant? Or Susan Sontag, for that matter? I was surprised that anybody got that one right.

I got camp from a four-letter word use commonly in another context that can be applied to works of art. It took some thinking, but I got there. No idea that Susan Sontag was the person who first used it, though. Eichmann was my only miss. I stupidly confused him with Rudolph Hess. I was very pleased with myself for getting Judy Garland. I felt that, based on the reaction in those pre-British invasion, pre-Motown days, it had to be someone who had other fame in show business. (I also briefly toyed with the idea that it might have been the first African-American to perform there, but Leontyne Price didn't seem to fit the rest of the clue). My first thought was Shirley Temple, but I recalled that she was appointed as an ambassador by Nixon, so it was pretty clear that she was out of show business. From there, I got to Judy Garland. I knew that she was still alive in the late '60s, so she seemed to be a reasonable choice.