Monday, October 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7606, 2017-10-09

Austin Rogers game 10.
The dividers between the players used during Final Jeopardy! are now retractable.
Players now stay at their lecterns for the closing credits.

CONTESTANTS
Rain Dunaway, a medical student from Louisville, Kentucky
Rich Coble, an attorney from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York (whose 9-day cash winnings total $332,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Good news for our champion, Austin, is, as you regular fans know, he's already qualified for the Tournament of Champions coming up next month. The bad news is that he will not be able to participate in the Tournament of Champions if he keeps winning all of the games right up to when the tournament starts. So Rich and Rain, you have something to say about that. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go now into the Jeopardy! Round. And today we deal with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
VIDEO GAMES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Sounds like fun.)
STATES BY COLORFUL LOCALES (3/5)
THIRD TIME'S A "CHA'"RM (4/5) (Alex: C-H-A coming up in each correct response.)
LAW SLAW (5/5)
TRANSLATE THE NOTED PAIR (5/5)
CLASSICS ON AUDIBLE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Rain: 7 R (including 3 rebounds), 0 W
Rich: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Austin found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Austin had $2,000, Rich was scoreless, and Rain had nothing in the bank. Austin made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

VIDEO GAMES $1000: Impossible architecture is found in this "valley", a mobile game that shares a name with a place in Utah & Arizona
(Austin: What is...Zion?)
(Alex: What is [*] Valley)
(Austin: Oh, whatever.)
(Alex: So you're now tied.)
(Laughter.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Austin: $2,800
Rain: $1,800
Rich: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Rain Dunaway is a medical student from Kentucky who may have gotten into medical school because of our program?

Rain: That's right. So my interview for Louisville was the day before my audition for Jeopardy!. I happened to mention it during the course of my interview, and a couple months later, I got the phone call that I was in to medical school. So correlation does not equal causation, but...

[Laughter]

Alex: Of course it does in this case.

Alex: Rich Coble from Philadelphia. Attorney. As a child, show business came into your life. How?

Rich: A little bit. My hometown of Bridgeport, Connecticut, is where P.T. Barnum was the mayor. So we have a festival every year, and I participated going for the Tom Thumb Award. I did not win, but I had fun.

Alex: Did you come close to winning?

Rich: I wasn't Thumb-y enough.

Alex: Ah. All right.

Alex: Austin Rogers, bartender from New York. Our champion, whose brother is currently deployed. Where?

Austin: Yeah. I am not allowed to say. He's somewhere in the Middle East, with the 417th Engineering Company. And I just wanna say, "Hey, Cade, I guess we're both in desert wastelands." L.A. joke. Up top.

[Austin high-fives Alex]

Alex: All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STATES BY COLORFUL LOCALES $400: Brownsville & White Settlement

STATES BY COLORFUL LOCALES $1000: Black Oak & Blue Eye

THIRD TIME'S A "CHA'"RM $800: Champagne is mainly made of 3 grapes: pinot noir, pinot meunier & this white one
(Austin: What is chablis?)
(Alex: Ah, the C-H-A comes up in [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Austin: $5,400
Rain: $4,600
Rich: $0
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOMETHING ABOUT MARY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ENDS IN "ING" (4/5)
FOODS FOR THOUGHT (1/5)
CHECK, PLEASE (2/5)
NAUGHTY BY NATURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOND BOMBSHELLS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Rich: 3 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Rain: 3 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Austin snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Austin had $9,400, Rich had $800, and Rain was at $3,800. Austin wagered $5,000.

SOMETHING ABOUT MARY $1200: Mary Mallon, the first known carrier of this disease in the U.S., was confined to a hospital for her final 20 years
(Alex: [*] is right. [*] Mary.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rain who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Austin had $18,400, Rich had $1,600, and Rain was at $5,000. Rain wagered $2,000.

NAUGHTY BY NATURE $2000: There's a 17-year & a 13-year type of this noisy insect that has multiple different calls to annoy you

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENDS IN "ING" $2000: It's the cotton fabric used to make the pennant flags seen here
(Alex: It comes up in [*].)

CHECK, PLEASE $400: Similar to a cashier's check, it's a check that bears a bank officer's promise that it's good

CHECK, PLEASE $1600: Illegally shifting money between accounts is doing this "soaring" term with checks
(Austin: What is flying them?)
(Alex: Flying them? No.)

CHECK, PLEASE $2000: Mitsubishi saved Morgan Stanley by cutting a check for $9 billion in this year
(Alex: Ah, the big crisis in [*].)

SOMETHING ABOUT MARY $1600: Mary Baker Eddy founded this religion to "reinstate primitive Christianity and its lost element of healing"

FOODS FOR THOUGHT $800: A tete is the classic shape of this French-named bread, as seen here

FOODS FOR THOUGHT $1200: Gouda & this cheese coated in red wax are the 2 most exported from the Netherlands
(Alex: That would be [*]. Gouda and [*] cheese.)

FOODS FOR THOUGHT $1600: Acai berries are South American; here are these other 4-letter berries grown in China and also said to be a superfood

FOODS FOR THOUGHT $2000: Tofu is made from curdled soy milk; this is fermented soybean cake

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Austin: $24,000 (lock game)
Rain: $7,400
Rich: $1,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORICAL AREAS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Austin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $9,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Rain: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Rich: You've no hope of catching up... unless Rain does something stupid. So risk $1,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An ancient quote mentions this area & 3 population groups, the Belgae, Aquitani & Celts

FINAL SCORES
Rich: $1,600 - $1,599 = $1 (What is I had fun :)) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rain: $7,400 - $4,000 = $3,400 (What is Paris?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Austin: $24,000 + $9,000 = $33,000 (What is Gaul?) (10-day champion: $365,400)
(Alex: And it comes from the first line of a famous work by Julius Caesar.)
(Alex, to Rich: Well, I'm glad to hear that.)
(Alex, to Austin: All [*] is divided in to three parts. You are correct.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Austin: $22,200, 30 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Rain: $7,400, 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Rich: $1,600, 7 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $31,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Austin: 31/60 = .517
Rain: 10/59 = .169
Rich: 7/58 = .121
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
VIDEO GAMES $400: "The Dog Policeman" is the theme that lets you know it's time for this game--don't croak!
(Austin: What is [*]...is not right?)
(Alex: Well, yeah, what is [*] is right.)
(Austin: HA!)

STATES BY COLORFUL LOCALES $200: Greenbelt & Silver Spring
(Rich: What is Colorado?)

CLASSICS ON AUDIBLE $200: In a 2005 film adaptation, eldest sister Jane was played by Rosamund Pike, heard here reading this classic novel

"Her spirits were very differently affected, when, to her utter amazement, she saw Mr. Darcy walk into the room"
(Austin: What is Sense and Sensibility?

CLASSICS ON AUDIBLE $400: The wit & irony of this satiric novel are captured by David Hyde Pierce

"As the common size of the natives is somewhat under six inches, so there is an exact proportion in all other animals"

CLASSICS ON AUDIBLE $600: Kenneth Branagh captures the horror of this story

"There were rumors that a very important station was in jeopardy, and its chief, Mr. Kurtz, was ill"

CLASSICS ON AUDIBLE $800: Who better to narrate "To the Lighthouse" than this actress, who won an Oscar for playing Virginia Woolf

"For her husband, with his caustic saying that it would not be fine, had dashed his spirits she could see"

CLASSICS ON AUDIBLE $1000: This Gothic novel has multiple narrators, including Alan Cumming as Dr. Seward

"The first thing Van Helsing said to me when we met at Liverpool Street was, 'Have you said anything to our young friend the lover of her?'"
(Alex: And our thanks to Audible for that entire category.)

THIRD TIME'S A "CHA'"RM $400: Those joining a monastic order abide by the 3 evangelical counsels: poverty, obedience & of course this
(Alex: You got it and you are now on the plus side.)

THIRD TIME'S A "CHA'"RM $600: North Carolina's Research Triangle is Durham, Raleigh & this place
(Rich: What is Charlotte?)

TRANSLATE THE NOTED PAIR $1000: Russian: pozhaluysta & spasibo
(Rich: What is thank you and you're welcome?)

LAW SLAW $200: Connecticut's rules for this group of 12 say don't look up any words you hear in court in a dictionary
(Alex: And we have less than a minute now.)

ENDS IN "ING" $800: This old British coin was equal to 12 pence
(Austin: What is a pfennig?)
(Rain: What is a farthing?)
(Rich: What is a [*]?)
(Alex: Yes! You picked the right ING!)

ENDS IN "ING" $1200: Here's a bit of the music from this ballet composed by Aaron Copland

FOODS FOR THOUGHT $400: When followed by "away", this word for a small deep-fried cake, often apple, means to squander
(Rain: What is square?)

BOND BOMBSHELLS $400: In 1962 Ursula Andress was in a state of relative undress in the film about this title physician
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Monument
Texas
Arkansas
chardonnay
typhoid
cicadas
bunting
a certified check
kiting
Christian Science
brioche
edam
goji berries
tempeh
Gaul
Frogger
Maryland
Pride and Prejudice
Gulliver's Travels
Heart of Darkness
Nicole Kidman
Dracula
chastity
Chapel Hill
please & thank you
a jury
shilling
Appalachian Spring
fritter
Dr. No
Last edited by Archivists on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORICAL AREAS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An ancient quote mentions this area & 3 population groups, the Belgae, Aquitani & Celts

Austin Rogers: 24000+9000=33000 (10x = $365,400)
Rich Coble: 1600-1599=1
Rain Dunaway: 7400-4000=3400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Gaul (Rich – I had fun) (Rain – Paris)

Daily Doubles
Austin: 2000-2000
Austin: 9400+5000
Rain: 5000+2000

Coryats
Austin: 22200
Rich: 1600
Rain: 7400

Combined: 31,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Austin: 5400
Rich: 0
Rain: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Austin did indeed change his appearance somewhat between tapings as expected. For results it was another typical victory in Austin making a 33K payday seem like just another day at the office. Even if Rain had bet everything on her DD it still would have been a lock.

Alex filled in a piece for the TOC puzzle in mentioning that Austin has qualified for the TOC next month and will play unless he is still the champ in the game that precedes it. If Austin loses sooner in October than later there would be time for someone else to qualify and that could test the sacred 5-time champ level for being included.

It’s one thing for Tim Kutz to seem not to make it with his four wins $107K. If Jon Eisenman missed out with 5 wins that’s a whole other thing and would leave a bad taste with the long time span between tournaments being a factor.

To me the only fair thing to do would be to make the potential qualified champ after Austin be the alternate and have to wait for 2019.

My Marktiple choice for the FJ! clue had no chance of success as working with three groups in the clue had me looking at something related to 3: Trinity, Trevi (the way I went) and trivia were all off base.

The Archive’s two previous hits show I’ve seen the groups previously, but it’s been too long and too infrequent to stick for me.

#5226, aired 2007-05-07
GAUL'S GONE WILD! $800: In "Commentaries on the Gallic War" he described Gaul as being inhabited by the Belgae, the Aquitani & the Gauls
#1623, aired 1991-09-25
JULIUS CAESAR $200: The Belgae, Aquitani & Celts, according to Caesar inhabited its 3 parts

Nice solve by Austin to show he’s fine so far with any kind of uptick in FJ! clue difficulty we may see this week.

The weird stumper of the day was Mary Baker Eddy = Christian Science. Really, players?

Austin forcing Alex into a high five after the desert wasteland comment was Austin being Austin. I guess by game 10 players feel quite friendly with the host?

CLASSICS ON AUDIOTAPE was the umpteenth set up for Alex to use his Draccent. On the clock: Trebek’s “Bogart.”

Today did have the closing with the players staying in place and of course the balloon animal opening got an encore.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Austin 2 has faced 20 opponents. Among those 20 there's been 3 correct FJ answers.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I said “France” but I’m negging myself as it’s pinned to a quote. (In my defence I got to the area required pretty quickly, but didn’t remember to translate to ancient.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I went with Brittany. *shrug*
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:08 pm I went with Brittany. *shrug*
You sure got speared on that one!

(Oops! I did it again!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I negged on the TS asking for the state of Blue Eye (I couldn't remember the other one). Blue Eye, Arkansas is twinned with Blue Eye, Missouri right across the border. Blue Eye, MO is where televangelist Jim Bakker has set up shop recently.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It helped on FJ to remember that the Celts were another name for the Gauls (though that may depend on the context?) and that Eleanor of Aquitane was born in France.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks to high school Latin for making this an FJ I had written down and gone back to eating dinner before the music started.

Once again it appeared he would be challenged as Rain had a solid start. But Austin again had a strong second round to get the lock. Her small DD wager clinched it for him but even an extra $3,000 doesn't break his lock.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Stupidly couldn't think of a game with frogs in it or a "blocky" game, yet I somehow got Civilization. And still no Undertale or Night in the Woods clues.

Colorful States was sorely lacking in TOM. NHO any of the places in the clues. Silver Spring at $200?!?

Skunked "Cha"rm and Ends in "Ing", which is rare for me in word categories.

NHO "certified check".

Lach Trash: kiting, Christian science, goji berry

No guess on FJ!
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

The opening and closing categories were easy sweeps for me in wheelhouse categories: Videogames and Bond.

$2000 wager when you're that far behind does seem pretty situationally unaware, but it ended up not mattering at all.

Had no idea on FJ, said "The Scottish Highlands"
Golf

Post by Golf »

Another solid win. Of course when one player didn't perform very well and the other played for second place it makes it easier. :shock: :lol:

Would make for a fun poll question, who thought Rain would correctly wager everything on the final DD? Perhaps the first 0% in history?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I have no idea what that clue was trying to say but 'croak' got me to Frogger (with about as much confidence as Austin had). Tetris is still the best selling game of all time? I thought for sure Minecraft or some Wii crap had passed it by now. Also Civ4 > 6.
Austin Powers wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm Austin 2 has faced 20 opponents. Among those 20 there's been 3 correct FJ answers.
To go along with contestants who hit the DD down 13k with ~7 clues left, and bet 2000. Austin might be here a long time.

For FJ, Celts distracted me for a bit, but once Aquitani -> France clicked, I was home free...and then 10 seconds later I realized that they were going for Gaul, in the nick of time :roll:
dhkendall wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:24 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:08 pm I went with Brittany. *shrug*
You sure got speared on that one!

(Oops! I did it again!)
BOOOOOOOOO hissssssssss
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:37 pm I have no idea what that clue was trying to say but 'croak' got me to Frogger. Tetris is still the best selling game of all time? I thought for sure Minecraft or some Wii crap had passed it by now.
VIDEO GAMES $400: “The Dog Policeman” is the theme that lets you know it’s time for this game—don’t croak

From Wikipedia: The game's opening tune is the first verse of a Japanese children's song called Inu No Omawarisan (The Dog Policeman). The song remained intact in the US release. Other Japanese tunes that are played during gameplay include the themes to the anime Hana no Ko Lunlun and Araiguma Rascal. The US release also has "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

I clammed on the clue as I thought Frogger, but did not attempt to cross the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgR2hzl_qQ4
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:04 pm I said “France” but I’m negging myself as it’s pinned to a quote. (In my defence I got to the area required pretty quickly, but didn’t remember to translate to ancient.)
Not just that it's pinned to a quote, but France is incorrect geographically. The ancient area of Gaul was substantially larger than present-day France.

I got this FJ after a few seconds, after initially considering France. (The inclusion of the Belgae was my tip-off that it couldn't be France.) Julius Caesar's The Conquest of Gaul is one of those books that I bought one time but never read.

A typical Austin victory. A $22,200 Coryat (which is similar to his best Coryats during the April tapings), which was lower than it could have been due to his seemingly-uncharacteristic-for-a-superchampion 5 negs (although I fell for the Chablis neg-bait on the wine clue too). And as I've repeatedly maintained, his Coryats understate his true level of quality because he uses DD's (especially in the DJ round) as a major tool in his arsenal, plus he usually gets FJ correct (although that often doesn't matter, since he now has 6 runaways in his first 10 games).

In the "ends in ING" category, for the retractable thing on the Roman Colosseum whose Latin name was velarium, I had "covering" instead of "awning," and I think they would have accepted that.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:22 pm Thanks to high school Latin for making this an FJ I had written down and gone back to eating dinner before the music started.
Did you go with Gaul or Gallia?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

hbomb1947 wrote: In the "ends in ING" category, for the retractable thing on the Roman Colosseum whose Latin name was velarium, I had "covering" instead of "awning," and I think they would have accepted that.
I'm not sure awning is the same as bunting.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was surprised Austin got Chardonnay wrong given his profession.

"Charlotte" was a devious false trail for the NC Research Triangle question; it's actually two hours away on the SC border. Given that my wife is from Raleigh, I would have gotten in trouble for missing that one.