Monday, October 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Monday, October 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:30 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: In the "ends in ING" category, for the retractable thing on the Roman Colosseum whose Latin name was velarium, I had "covering" instead of "awning," and I think they would have accepted that.
I'm not sure awning is the same as bunting.
Well, good thing I said "covering," then.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:10 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:22 pm Thanks to high school Latin for making this an FJ I had written down and gone back to eating dinner before the music started.
Did you go with Gaul or Gallia?
Gaul.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Anyone neg with typhus instead of typhoid? I figured typhoid was just the adjective meaning "infected with typhus". I was wrong.

I also said locust instead of cicada. They're often called 13- and 17-year locusts, but apparently they're not actually locusts. So I think I would've been counted wrong there too.

And I missed this FJ so I'm no longer tied with Austin on his FJs. Bleah.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:30 pm I was surprised Austin got Chardonnay wrong given his profession.
I was also surprised he didn't do better in the food category.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

The only problem with the opponents facing Austin is like how the other basketball teams are to defeat the Golden State Warriors in the playoffs...you have to play a near-perfect game and get FJ right. With the way Rain played and got FJ wrong, that's not the way to win. After this game, his FJ accuracy reached to 90 percent.

Rich just ran into a wall and couldn't get any mojo when Austin's been the dominating. No money heading into DJ and finishing with $1,600? It's pretty much a relief that Alex mentioned in a game that he "doesn't like to see red" and boy, Rich was near close to that. Austin rebounded after losing the TDD and got $3,000 from both DDs. You know, a few of Austin's games were rebound-type games, now that I think about it. He loses big on a DD and gaining on a bigger amount on another DD. The fact that Austin benefits on DJ to get him a big enough gain proves him as a strong competitor. Leads by $800 at the end of the Jeopardy round, and finishing with $18,600 gained at the end of the DJ round. These kind of games are what is enjoyable from Austin's perspective.

Tomorrow's match should be a question for Sarah Favorite to, well...(Not trying to be redundant) be a favorite to win the game?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
davey

Post by davey »

The "ancient quote" part made this FJ simple for me, though I never studied Latin. I would have said that quote was a trivia staple.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The cicada question took me back to 1998, when I was biking across Missouri as part of Boy Scouts. That was the summer the 13 year and 17 year cicada cycles coincided, and they made sleep rather difficult in my tent!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Austin got to say "P***y Galore" on national TV... which, oddly enough, is not the first time that character was mentioned on the show. The 12-27-2013 game featured her as part of the clue ($800, Colorful Movies).
I interpreted "Historical Areas" as "former regions/names", so anything other than Gaul/Gallia would not be accepted.
Hoping for a third lap
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LT: bunting, 2008, Christian Science and all the food leftovers: brioche, edam, goji, tempeh!

MDD: Monument Valley - I added that app after hearing Frank Underwood wax poetic about it on House of Cards. It is a mesmerizing experience

Austin is beatable but with the exception of Pasha and was it Amy? his opponents don't really look (or play) like they want to win

I said registered check - is that the same as certified? I said floating checks, Austin said flying and they wanted kiting. Go figure

Had to look away at the end when the camera person started walking towards the podium - shaky cam makes me sick :?

I paused FJ, thought, thought some more, then listened to Alex's teaser, only then got to Gaul. Celt took me over the water to Ireland and I got confused

Lots of slurring of words by Alex and Austin tonight. Wonder if they had a few nips before the show
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm Austin 2 has faced 20 opponents. Among those 20 there's been 3 correct FJ answers.
That's the main reason why I'm not totally sold on him yet. It just seems like he's facing weak competition. FJ was an instaget.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:54 pm The weird stumper of the day was Mary Baker Eddy = Christian Science. Really, players?
I said Church of Christ, Scientist. I assume that's good.

I'm sure I've known this FJ at one point, but couldn't think of it tonight.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ. Ex Bello Gallico: "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres..." 8-)
Spoiler
...quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Since in 8th grade I wrote a parody of Caesar's Commentaries with an opening line of "Omnia Gallia in tres partes divisa est," this was an instaget of instagets
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:22 pm Thanks to high school Latin for making this an FJ I had written down and gone back to eating dinner before the music started.
Around 2002 my daughter was in the first week of her two years of Latin and was doing homework at the dining table. She looked up as I came into the room and said, "Guess what, Dad? Britannia est insula, sed Italia non est insula." It was a Dad's treat to surprise her by replying, "Italia paene est insula. Italia est paeninsula." Turns out she was using the same Latin textbook I had used when I was in high school (mumble) years ago.

She and her fiance were visiting this evening and when FJ came up, I glanced at it and said, "You should get this immediately." She looked at the clue blankly for a moment, so I said, "What is divisa in partes tres?" and she shouted out the answer.

There may not be as many Latin courses taught these days, but it earned Austin a fair bit of change tonight. Taking Latin in high school also saved me from spending 18 months on the Greenland icecap about 1000 km north of the Arctic Circle, but that's a tale for another time.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The only Latin I know is "quando omni flunkus, moritati".
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:30 pm The only Latin I know is "quando omni flunkus, moritati".
Add these:
Morituri te salutamus! :o

Illegitimi non carborundum est! :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Hmm, I seem to be the only person who has never heard that Caesar quote before. I didn't have a chance.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:30 pm The only Latin I know is "quando omni flunkus, moritati".
And all I know is "et tu, twelvefootboy". But I think tph's quote includes me.

I think this FJ is almost a YEKIOYD by definition. Aquitane easily put me in France, and Belgi was OK, Northeastern France, uh, Flanders?, Normandie? The Celt component was a gob stopper, so what is a regional name? I picked Scandinavia because I didn't know what the origin of the name/area was. So far the boardies that got it knew the quote (some quite well), and nobody has gotten it from the TOM or even a successful WAG.

I'm trying to like Austin more, but still want him to be gone so we can see some new winners. I did like his treatment of the Pussy Galore answer and the great lengths the writers went to to make a quasi-legitimate clue.

The Bond clues were surprisingly gettable for me, but I can see a generation gap would be tough. I missed the Moonraker clue going for Man with the Golden Gun.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Did anyone else get the TS "Arkansas" from remembering the group Black Oak Arkansas? Couldn't tell you anything about them, just knew there was a group called that.