Monday, October 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Monday, October 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:13 pm I think this FJ is almost a YEKIOYD by definition. Aquitane easily put me in France, and Belgi was OK, Northeastern France, uh, Flanders?, Normandie? The Celt component was a gob stopper, so what is a regional name? I picked Scandinavia because I didn't know what the origin of the name/area was. So far the boardies that got it knew the quote (some quite well), and nobody has gotten it from the TOM or even a successful WAG.
That's simply incorrect. I never took Latin and never heard the quote prior to tonight's episode, but I reasoned it out by knowing history, and realizing the correct response had to be an area roughly corresponding to modern France but that also included a people called the "Belgae" (who sure sounded like a people who gave their name to Belgium). The inclusion of the Belgae helped me remember the category and not write "France"; and I guessed (correctly) that Gaul -- which I had previously thought of mainly as being the ancient predecessor to France -- must have included at least part of what's now Belgium. (And modern Flanders, BTW, is part of Belgium, not France.)

And I would feel confident in guessing that other boardies solved the clue through similar thought processes.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

thenextofken wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:15 pm Did anyone else get the TS "Arkansas" from remembering the group Black Oak Arkansas? Couldn't tell you anything about them, just knew there was a group called that.
*raises hand*. There were a couple of those that I pulled out of the nether regions, but I still managed to run the category.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:32 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:13 pm I think this FJ is almost a YEKIOYD by definition. Aquitane easily put me in France, and Belgi was OK, Northeastern France, uh, Flanders?, Normandie? The Celt component was a gob stopper, so what is a regional name? I picked Scandinavia because I didn't know what the origin of the name/area was. So far the boardies that got it knew the quote (some quite well), and nobody has gotten it from the TOM or even a successful WAG.
That's simply incorrect. I never took Latin and never heard the quote prior to tonight's episode, but I reasoned it out by knowing history, and realizing the correct response had to be an area roughly corresponding to modern France but that also included a people called the "Belgae" (who sure sounded like a people who gave their name to Belgium). The inclusion of the Belgae helped me remember the category and not write "France"; and I guessed (correctly) that Gaul -- which I had previously thought of mainly as being the ancient predecessor to France -- must have included at least part of what's now Belgium. (And modern Flanders, BTW, is part of Belgium, not France.)

And I would feel confident in guessing that other boardies solved the clue through similar thought processes.
Since the quote wasn't in the clue but merely implied, it was necessary to arrive at Gaul from geographic and historical information. I suppose another conceivable route to itwould be Asterix and Obelix comics.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:32 pm

Celt had me first think of the Pale, but Aquitane and Belgae outnumbered that for a more Continental answer (plus that'd be damned obscure), leading me toward Gaul. Didn't get it from the quote, just knew from long forgotten source that in ye pre-ye olden days, the France+Belgium region was called Gaul.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm Austin 2 has faced 20 opponents. Among those 20 there's been 3 correct FJ answers.
Amazing. And there have been some very easy FJs, too, as a glance at the weekly polls would show. Not to say Austin isn't a great player, but this has helped him hugely.

I couldn't get to tonight's FJ. I said Britain.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:19 pm Since in 8th grade I wrote a parody of Caesar's Commentaries
Out of curiosity, how many wedgies did you get in 8th grade? :lol:
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:04 am
Austin Powers wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm Austin 2 has faced 20 opponents. Among those 20 there's been 3 correct FJ answers.
Amazing. And there have been some very easy FJs, too, as a glance at the weekly polls would show. Not to say Austin isn't a great player, but this has helped him hugely.
In most of Austin's games, FJ has been irrelevant except to determining the amount of Austin's winnings. And since he's entered every FJ in even his non-runaway games in first place, a better FJ solve rate by his opponents would have not changed the outcome of a single one of his games. (His sole FJ miss so far was in one of his six lock games.)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:16 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:04 am
In most of Austin's games, FJ has been irrelevant except to determining the amount of Austin's winnings. And since he's entered every FJ in even his non-runaway games in first place, a better FJ solve rate by his opponents would have not changed the outcome of a single one of his games. (His sole FJ miss so far was in one of his six lock games.)
True, but their FJ performance might indicate they weren't exceptionally strong players to begin with.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:34 pm
Category 13 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:30 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: In the "ends in ING" category, for the retractable thing on the Roman Colosseum whose Latin name was velarium, I had "covering" instead of "awning," and I think they would have accepted that.
I'm not sure awning is the same as bunting.
Well, good thing I said "covering," then.
Category 13 is confusing two clues. I don’t think they’d neg you for “covering,” but you’d probably get a BMS.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

thenextofken wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:15 pm Did anyone else get the TS "Arkansas" from remembering the group Black Oak Arkansas? Couldn't tell you anything about them, just knew there was a group called that.
+1. I can't say I remember it was a band, I just knew it sounded familiar. I'm close enough to Arkansas to have caught it subliminally, but it was probably the band even though I avoid knowledge of musicians, etc..
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:54 pm The weird stumper of the day was Mary Baker Eddy = Christian Science. Really, players?
It was also a triple stumper back in June, and I was surprised then too. Maybe I just have a better memory of it because I remember being wowed by the architecture of the mother church when my family visited Boston when I was a kid.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Gaul was the only ancient area I could think of that might have had something to do with those three groups, but I had little confidence in it. I was completely unfamiliar with the quote. I don't know how many times "It's better to put something than nothing" has paid off for me, but now I'm sure it's at least one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bbird wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:09 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:54 pm The weird stumper of the day was Mary Baker Eddy = Christian Science. Really, players?
It was also a triple stumper back in June, and I was surprised then too. Maybe I just have a better memory of it because I remember being wowed by the architecture of the mother church when my family visited Boston when I was a kid.
I remember it because I found a Christian Scientist hymnal once and nearly half the hymns were composed by Baker herself. The other half were strange bowdlerisations/guttings of familiar hymns. It was kind of like the hymnal at the New Apostolic Church I played for in that regard.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Video (4), States (3), "Cha" (4), Law (4), Pair (3), Classics (5)
Mary (3), "Ing" (2), Foods (2), Check (2), Nature (2), Bond (5)

Lach Trash: Texas, 2008, Christian Science, edam; Daily Double: Monument (Valley)

I considered Gaul, but talked myself out of it and went with Flanders.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Instaget FJ, but I knew the quote - in English not Latin - via an Isaac Asimov article I read years and years ago. I think this was mostly YEKIOYD; not much TOM there.

Count me among those who got Arkansas via Black Oak Arkansas - "Jim Dandy to the Rescue"!

And did anybody else want Austin to clam on the last DJ clue so that we could hear Alex say "Pussy Galore"?
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:54 pm Today did have the closing with the players staying in place and of course the balloon animal opening got an encore.
Is that just something they've been doing lately? I haven't really noticed. Maybe one of the players had mobility issues?
yclept

Post by yclept »

True, but their FJ performance might indicate they weren't exceptionally strong players to begin with.
While possible, that assumption is being made based on one FJ miss. In total, the percentage of FJ misses is high, but we have no idea how any of them would do if given a chance to solve multiple FJ clues.

This argument seems to come up every time - whether it is Austin or Julia or Matt or Arthur. While there are certainly players who aren't strong who have crossed their paths, what is likely really happening is that these players are making their opponents appear weak by being so good. Austin has actually played against a few players who were really good - didn't one opponent have $17K+ entering FJ?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am 9/10 on his FJs, my only miss was this past Friday.

Poll request for getting FJ from Latin class.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $28,600
DDs: 1/3
FJ!: :(

Ran Naughty By Nature.

Surprised I got as few as I did in Video Games. I take it there's no Stardew Valley in Arizona.

No guess on FJ!.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 pm Hmm, I seem to be the only person who has never heard that Caesar quote before. I didn't have a chance.
I'll join you in that club - "NHO" that quote either.
I got as far as "western Europe" based on the groups named, but couldn't pull Gaul.