Monday, October 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Monday, October 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zerobandwidth »

First FJ I hadn't previously seen in two weeks, and it was an insta-get, but like others above, that's only because I took Latin courses throughout high school and college.

Austin seemed jet-lagged in this game; he sounded almost shaky on several responses. It will be interesting to see if that was fatigue, which will increase with each win, or just first-game-of-the-day jitters, which will likely decrease.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

kprather895 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:48 am Is that just something they've been doing lately? I haven't really noticed. Maybe one of the players had mobility issues?
I had heard that this was a change, that the players would be staying at their lecterns all the time for the closing credits now. This was the first episode of this.

Also note that the dividers for Final Jeopardy! are now retractable.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I hope Austin keeps winning until his hair grows back.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

cthulhu wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:01 am Instaget FJ, but I knew the quote - in English not Latin - via an Isaac Asimov article I read years and years ago. I think this was mostly YEKIOYD; not much TOM there.
Several of us have already disproved the assertion that this FJ was YEKIOYD or in any way dependent on knowing the Latin phrase; it was solvable via "ancient name for place that included what are now France and Belgium."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:32 pm That's simply incorrect. I never took Latin and never heard the quote prior to tonight's episode, but I reasoned it out by knowing history, and realizing the correct response had to be an area roughly corresponding to modern France but that also included a people called the "Belgae" (who sure sounded like a people who gave their name to Belgium). The inclusion of the Belgae helped me remember the category and not write "France"; and I guessed (correctly) that Gaul -- which I had previously thought of mainly as being the ancient predecessor to France -- must have included at least part of what's now Belgium. (And modern Flanders, BTW, is part of Belgium, not France.)

And I would feel confident in guessing that other boardies solved the clue through similar thought processes.
I was the exact same ... I've never taken Latin and didn't know the quote. I puzzled out the geographical areas (with a brief stop in Britain) and knew that Caesar had conquered Gaul.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:14 am
Woof wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:19 pm Since in 8th grade I wrote a parody of Caesar's Commentaries
Out of curiosity, how many wedgies did you get in 8th grade? :lol:
:mrgreen: It was an assignment that probably only my English teacher read, so my secret was safely hidden.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

clt013 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 am
teapot37 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 pm Hmm, I seem to be the only person who has never heard that Caesar quote before. I didn't have a chance.
I'll join you in that club - "NHO" that quote either.
I got as far as "western Europe" based on the groups named, but couldn't pull Gaul.
Does anyone know why the quote is famous in the first place? It seems like a pretty innocuous quote to be one that Caesar is remembered for.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

Embarrassed to admit that the Celtic reference had me thinking Brittany, and then I was trying to come up with what region would include Belgium and Aquitaine, compounded by thinking of "area" as being some discrete part of a country, which resulted in "Normandy." (The fact that Aquitaine is not remotely where I thought it was didn't help).

Shorter version: made it way too complicated.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:30 pm Does anyone know why the quote is famous in the first place? It seems like a pretty innocuous quote to be one that Caesar is remembered for.
The only quote I know from Caesar is "Pizza! Pizza!"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:30 pm
teapot37 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 pm Hmm, I seem to be the only person who has never heard that Caesar quote before. I didn't have a chance.
I got as far as "western Europe" based on the groups named, but couldn't pull Gaul.
Does anyone know why the quote is famous in the first place? It seems like a pretty innocuous quote to be one that Caesar is remembered for.
It's no Veni, vidi, vici or Alea iacta est, that's for sure. I suspect it's 'famous' only because Caesar wrote it. If someone else wrote that book, then it wouldn't be remembered at all.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:40 pm
It's no Veni, vidi, vici or Alea iacta est, that's for sure. I suspect it's 'famous' only because Caesar wrote it. If someone else wrote that book, then it wouldn't be remembered at all.
Opening lines are often memorable. Can anyone name another line from Anna Karenina apart from "All happy families are alike" or another line from Moby-Dick apart from "Call me Ishmael?"
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:35 pm Embarrassed to admit that the Celtic reference had me thinking Brittany, and then I was trying to come up with what region would include Belgium and Aquitaine, compounded by thinking of "area" as being some discrete part of a country, which resulted in "Normandy." (The fact that Aquitaine is not remotely where I thought it was didn't help).

I had the same issue. I was hung up on the word "area" in the category, and to me, Gaul was too big to be an "area" - I was thinking along the same lines as you.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:24 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:35 pm Embarrassed to admit that the Celtic reference had me thinking Brittany, and then I was trying to come up with what region would include Belgium and Aquitaine, compounded by thinking of "area" as being some discrete part of a country, which resulted in "Normandy." (The fact that Aquitaine is not remotely where I thought it was didn't help).

That's why they divided it into three parts.

I had the same issue. I was hung up on the word "area" in the category, and to me, Gaul was too big to be an "area" - I was thinking along the same lines as you.
davey

Post by davey »

I believe our friends who've had Latin class will tell us that the work is a common reading and translation exercise. I think I've come across it as part of a Latin class in some movie or (English-language) literary work (Goodbye, Mr. Chips?)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:19 pm Opening lines are often memorable. Can anyone name another line from Anna Karenina apart from "All happy families are alike"
"Happy families are all alike" is the more usual rendering, I think. But it's a translation from the Russian, so the judges are giving it to you.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:21 pm
I believe our friends who've had Latin class will tell us that the work is a common reading and translation exercise. I think I've come across it as part of a Latin class in some movie or (English-language) literary work (Goodbye, Mr. Chips?)
"Back in the day" translating Caesar's Commentaries was a semester-long project for second-year high school Latin. The opening line "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres" ("Gaul is a whole divided into three parts") is so close to many English words that it's not too intimidating, and the entire first chapter can be read with about 50% comprehension by someone with no knowledge of Latin besides a strong English vocabulary.

And as Woof mentioned, it's an oft-quoted opening line, almost as familiar as "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" or "It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm Austin 2 has faced 20 opponents. Among those 20 there's been 3 correct FJ answers.
As a certain game show host would say, "Ooooooooohhhhhh!"

I knew they weren't doing very well in that area, but had no idea it was that bad. I think I'm 8 or 9 right in the 10 games. Last night was (IMO) a nice job by the writers: Not likely to be a quote anyone had ever read, but enough TOM that you could intuit "Gallic Wars." In other words, the Goldilocks Zone for difficulty: not a 3-way Instaget easy-peasy clue and not ridiculously ungettable; just enough to separate the good contestant(s) from the not-so-good ones.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:27 pm The cicada question took me back to 1998, when I was biking across Missouri as part of Boy Scouts. That was the summer the 13 year and 17 year cicada cycles coincided, and they made sleep rather difficult in my tent!
Are the judges in agreement that locusts and cicadas are not the same, and that locusts would be negged here? I also said locust.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Woof wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:19 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:40 pm
Opening lines are often memorable. Can anyone name another line from Anna Karenina apart from "All happy families are alike" or another line from Moby-Dick apart from "Call me Ishmael?"
"Queequeg! Hurl the harpoon, damnmit!!"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:19 pm Opening lines are often memorable. Can anyone name another line from Anna Karenina apart from "All happy families are alike" or another line from Moby-Dick apart from "Call me Ishmael?"
"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

I still get chills picturing Count Vronsky yelling that at the train.