The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:57 am There’s no way memory is that precarious for you. Haven’t you ever successfully sung along, word for word and note for note, with a song you haven’t so much as thought about for years? With the right cues, sometimes you just know you know something without having a solid answer for how you know (or still know, in the case of the song example). “Silver Spring, Maryland”/“Silver Spring, MD” jibed with the shape (of the writing), sound (of the words), and feel (of speaking them) that crystallized in my mind when presented with “Silver Spring” and the imaginary blank I gave it to fill.
Well, it is. I've heard of both Silver Spring and Greenbelt, possibly from compiling my list of shopping malls. But neither seemed strong enough pavlovs to Maryland, especially not in the $200 box, since usually when they want Maryland in the top box they'll ask for Baltimore or Annapolis.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:57 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:57 am There’s no way memory is that precarious for you. Haven’t you ever successfully sung along, word for word and note for note, with a song you haven’t so much as thought about for years? With the right cues, sometimes you just know you know something without having a solid answer for how you know (or still know, in the case of the song example). “Silver Spring, Maryland”/“Silver Spring, MD” jibed with the shape (of the writing), sound (of the words), and feel (of speaking them) that crystallized in my mind when presented with “Silver Spring” and the imaginary blank I gave it to fill.
Well, it is. I've heard of both Silver Spring and Greenbelt, possibly from compiling my list of shopping malls. But neither seemed strong enough pavlovs to Maryland, especially not in the $200 box, since usually when they want Maryland in the top box they'll ask for Baltimore or Annapolis.
I’m sure they would have included one of those if either had a GODDAMN COLOR IN THEIR NAME PAY ATTENTION TO THE CATEGORY
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:00 pm I’m sure they would have included one of those if either had a GODDAMN COLOR IN THEIR NAME PAY ATTENTION TO THE CATEGORY
Still. How hard was something far more well-known to the general populace? How about Green Bay and I dunno, Whitewater in the $200 box? Even if you don't know there's a Whitewater in Wisconsin, "Green Bay" is IMO a far, FAR stronger pavlov to Wisconsin than either of those tiny little towns is to Maryland.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:37 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:00 pm I’m sure they would have included one of those if either had a GODDAMN COLOR IN THEIR NAME PAY ATTENTION TO THE CATEGORY
Still. How hard was something far more well-known to the general populace? How about Green Bay and I dunno, Whitewater in the $200 box? Even if you don't know there's a Whitewater in Wisconsin, "Green Bay" is IMO a far, FAR stronger pavlov to Wisconsin than either of those tiny little towns is to Maryland.
And yet [poll results].
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:38 pm
And yet [poll results].
And so far, no one has given me a better reason than "I knew it because I kinda vaguely heard of it once or twice" or "I knew it because I took a completely ex-recto WAG that just happened to be right". A $200 shouldn't be that nebulous, even if it polls that highly.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:44 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:38 pm
And yet [poll results].
And so far, no one has given me a better reason than "I knew it because I kinda vaguely heard of it once or twice" or "I knew it because I took a completely ex-recto WAG that just happened to be right". A $200 shouldn't be that nebulous, even if it polls that highly.
A $200 should be something a lot of people get with little difficulty. This has happened, while you turn somersaults to explain why it was impossible.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:37 pm A $200 should be something a lot of people get with little difficulty. This has happened, while you turn somersaults to explain why it was impossible.
What I'm not getting is how they got it, because the only explanations I've gotten have been every bit as dodgy.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:42 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:37 pm A $200 should be something a lot of people get with little difficulty. This has happened, while you turn somersaults to explain why it was impossible.
What I'm not getting is how they got it, because the only explanations I've gotten have been every bit as dodgy.
Memory.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Because they ran across it somewhere and remembered it! That's how I get most of my correct responses.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:04 pm
Because they ran across it somewhere and remembered it! That's how I get most of my correct responses.
Memory is very patchy and vague. It's very very easy to misremember, second-guess, etc. A $200 box should be crystal clear, not "I heard of this once and kinda vaguely almost remember it". Yeah, well I kinda vaguely almost remember a song by a local artist that the local station played almost 10 years ago, but even though not even Google has heard of it, it must be valid for a clue, right?

Kind of like all those clues that rely on "it sounds kind of like the correct response". Dannebrog sounds nothing at all like Denmark to me.
hal9e3
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by hal9e3 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:57 am
Just curious, were you compiling a list of all the famous shopping malls in the world/US? Curious how you went about compiling that... Wikipedia just lists every one whether it's notable or not :/.
Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

TPH, we all know that if Green Bay had been in the top box as you suggest, you likely would have found some way to claim that was confusing or misleading. I don't mean to pick on you, but sometimes your hostility toward the clue writers and fellow posters does get to be a bit much.

Every poster here has missed quite a few easy or easy-ish clues over our years of watching the show. We just accept it, not try to prove that the clue was actually difficult.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:05 pm TPH, we all know that if Green Bay had been in the top box as you suggest, you likely would have found some way to claim that was confusing or misleading. I don't mean to pick on you, but sometimes your hostility toward the clue writers and fellow posters does get to be a bit much.

Every poster here has missed quite a few easy or easy-ish clues over our years of watching the show. We just accept it, not try to prove that the clue was actually difficult.
Can we pin this post to this thread, or at least have it automatically reply to every TPH post?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:22 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:04 pm
Memory is very patchy and vague.
A TV show that requires people to remember things would never get off the ground!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"The protagonist of this novel “was fairly sure that his age was 39, and he believed that he had been born in 1944 or 1945”"

My thought process:

1944 + 39 = 19 uh... 4 + 9 = 13, carry the one. 1 + 4 + 3 = 8 I think? That gives me 1983. Wait, that can't be right, do it again.

Nope, still 1983. Can't think of a book that has anything to do with 1983, so I'm boned, let's leave it blank because it's clearly gonna be another Liederkranz.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:44 am "The protagonist of this novel “was fairly sure that his age was 39, and he believed that he had been born in 1944 or 1945”"

My thought process:

1944 + 39 = 19 uh... 4 + 9 = 13, carry the one. 1 + 4 + 3 = 8 I think? That gives me 1983. Wait, that can't be right, do it again.

Nope, still 1983. Can't think of a book that has anything to do with 1983, so I'm boned, let's leave it blank because it's clearly gonna be another Liederkranz.
How'd that work out for you?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:44 am "The protagonist of this novel “was fairly sure that his age was 39, and he believed that he had been born in 1944 or 1945”"

My thought process:

How'd that work out for you?

I don't care.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My thought process:

I don't have a citation for this, but most people's ages don't change at the same time the year does, which is why the clue mentioned "1944 or 1945." If you had considered the fact there were two years named in the clue, and gone ahead and added 1 to your sum (which was correct) for the other possibility, you would have gotten 1984, which might have vaguely reminded you of a book title, and then you'd have clammed because you don't think a response should be based on something you merely think you remember.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:08 am

My thought process:

I don't have a citation for this, but most people's ages don't change at the same time the year does, which is why the clue mentioned "1944 or 1945." If you had considered the fact there were two years named in the clue, and gone ahead and added 1 to your sum (which was correct) for the other possibility, you would have gotten 1984, which might have vaguely reminded you of a book title, and then you'd have clammed because you don't think a response should be based on something you merely think you remember.
Again. I merely think that I remember a lot of things. I remember an advertising campaign involving characters named Morton and Glick, but googling every variant of those names gives me nothing. But by your logic, it'd be a valid clue because "Oh, I think I might possibly maybe kinda sorta almost vaguely remember that I once heard of something by that name 20 years ago." At least 1984 is a keystone piece of literature that billions of people have concretely, solidly, fondly remembered and don't have to grasp at straws and ex-recto guess on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:08 am

My thought process:

Again. I merely think that I remember a lot of things. I remember an advertising campaign involving characters named Morton and Glick, but googling every variant of those names gives me nothing. But by your logic, it'd be a valid clue because "Oh, I think I might possibly maybe kinda sorta almost vaguely remember that I once heard of something by that name 20 years ago." At least 1984 is a keystone piece of literature that billions of people have concretely, solidly, fondly remembered and don't have to grasp at straws and ex-recto guess on.
Gee, I feel the exact same way (in different terms, obviously) about responding "Maryland" to a clue that's looking for the state Silver Spring is in.